AuthorTopic: Road/Sidewalk Tiles.  (Read 7653 times)

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: Road/Sidewalk Tiles.

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 11:08:07 pm
I would kill some colours too, though you can still use what you have if you like but bump the contrast up.
Is there a program I can use to automatically change one colour for another, or to automatically bump up the contrast of all my colours in my image?
It will be kind of tedious to manually have to go around and do this for each colour.  (photoshop can probably do it but I can't afford that)

Color replacement is possible in paint by right-clicking with the eraser tool. Just figure out how to set up your selected colors correctly (right-clicking the eraser looks at both your left- and right-click selected colors) and you're good to go. Ofcourse you could always adjust the contrast in a free program like GIMP.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 11:28:35 pm
I'd honestly ditch the dithering on the street lines. It looks very dirty and messy, and honestly looks more like someone was fiddling with the spray tool. I don't think it reflects what you're going for very well at all.

I'd say you're better off trying to portray the texture with more structured techniques, maybe something like this:

Also, I think the colors need to be worked with as well. I see you're working with pure gray shades, and it might help to add just a hint of color to your colors, even the road(I gave it a purple shade, as I believe roads are mostly seen as such), to give it a little life. I also think it may help to up the contrast/brightness of the overall colors, as right now it looks very dull and boring; the white and orange being so dark, beyond even something post-apocalyptic.
I would kill some colours too, though you can still use what you have if you like but bump the contrast up.
Is there a program I can use to automatically change one colour for another, or to automatically bump up the contrast of all my colours in my image?
It will be kind of tedious to manually have to go around and do this for each colour.  (photoshop can probably do it but I can't afford that)

Color replacement is possible in paint by right-clicking with the eraser tool. Just figure out how to set up your selected colors correctly (right-clicking the eraser looks at both your left- and right-click selected colors) and you're good to go. Ofcourse you could always adjust the contrast in a free program like GIMP.
To expand, I recommend checking out this site: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/tutorial/mspaint
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 11:31:49 pm by Dusty »

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 06:11:26 am
Dusty!  Did you figure out what game, or should I say server I'm using these for?
If you didn't I'll give you a hint: look at the manhole covers : )

I'd honestly ditch the dithering on the street lines. It looks very dirty and messy, and honestly looks more like someone was fiddling with the spray tool. I don't think it reflects what you're going for very well at all.
Really good advice, your edit helped a lot.

colors need to be worked with as well. I see you're working with pure gray shades, and it might help to add just a hint of color to your colors, even the road(I gave it a purple shade, as I believe roads are mostly seen as such), to give it a little life.
When I set out to make these tiles, I thought exactly the same thing.  They are gray now because the powers at be told me: "Sidewalks aren't cream colored, they're gray god damn it, fix it.

Damn, I wish I had another GFXer to work with on this.  Sales told me he asked for your help and you declined? Any chance you'd change your mind?
anyways thanks for the post, extremely helpful.
-Luke