AuthorTopic: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...  (Read 182249 times)

Offline sakket

• poop'n
    • View Profile
    • my yootoob

Re: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...

Reply #250 on: March 03, 2010, 06:46:39 pm
oh man oh man. I was watching this project just admiring the work done, but I never expected to actually get to play it! (mac user)
littleroller.blogspot.com

Offline be0ez

• View Profile

Reply #251 on: March 17, 2010, 03:35:16 am
Some pretty fab stuff man. Really loving this. This encourages me to work more on my pixel artwork. So you can say.. you've kinda inspired me  ;D

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #252 on: March 21, 2010, 06:26:22 pm
Eagerly awaiting an update on this project!

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #253 on: March 22, 2010, 12:12:43 am
People, too much onelining going on in the thread - I don't mind the encouragement but if future readers will have to scroll past half pages of 'looking cool, man', that'll suck.

We're trying to keep this a verbal forum, in our wonderful elitist pixelation spirit (eh, what am I sayiing!) so do give feedback on what is already posted, or be patient for another update. Or if you want to convey your anticipation, like crazyMLC, feel free to send Howard a PM.

Over and out! <3
' _ '

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #254 on: March 22, 2010, 08:59:43 pm
alspal, Mike, and sakket: It's unlikely I'll have a Mac or flash build of this game - too many of the MMF2 Dev plugins I use won't compile for java or flash. Sorry. I tried.
be0ez: Glad you like it, man!
CrazyMLC: happy to oblige...
Jad: Well said.

Okay, so! Some major improvements - I got the music and sound in, but I'm running into a crash in the sound engine. I'm using the Onu Audio Engineer...and I don't know how to fix it. :( Still working on it, of course...and I might have an idea on how to fix it. *might*. The other big improvement is that I've added debris and corpses when you kill the bugs - stuff that sticks around. Also scorch marks from your gun, on the ground. Makes it feel way more visceral - and there's a neat sense of accomplishment when you see the junkyard full of damage you just wrought upon your mechanical enemies. :D

In the mean time, I've started re-making the intro - the video I had been making, while cool, was too different in style to the rest of the game. With that in mind, I've put this together:
http://www.hedfiles.net/intro.exe 1.4mb
Still sort of broken, the sun doesn't act properly, and the ship is missing, as is some printing text action! I'll hopefully have an update tonight.
Enjoy!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #255 on: March 24, 2010, 09:46:35 pm
http://www.hedfiles.net/intro2.exe 1.4MB - better motion, things work right-ish now. Got on-screen text, working sun flare...goodness.

Offline Perciv@l

• View Profile
    • www.prr-art.com

Reply #256 on: March 24, 2010, 09:52:04 pm
please add a header to the window!
the application window is starting half off the screen and I can't reposition it to the center.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #257 on: March 26, 2010, 07:32:05 pm
Perciv@l: Sorry about that - I've added resolution tuning in the latest...

Here's the most recent version, and pretty much complete...graphically, sounds still need to be added.
http://www.hedfiles.net/intro4.exe -7mb, Use 1,2,3 to change the resolution. Next up: sound FX.
Enjoy!

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #258 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:26 am
I would love to see the intro when it is not 2x zoom.

The intro looks good. The only flaw that I saw was the fire when the ship went into orbit. The flame is completely horizontal. I feel that it should have some tilt and then also decrease in saturation as if to fade away a little better.

Offline Ninja Crow

• View Profile

Reply #259 on: March 27, 2010, 04:49:43 pm
It's beautiful Howard, though I have to use my task manager to kill it (and is there any way to have a full screen with bars at top and bottom for the proper aspect ratio?).

I can't believe that nice blue planet - I have never seen such interesting and lovely patterning.

I'll try to make this a useful post by saying that the text tends to blend with the background, making it somewhat hard to read, and on the line where it is mentioned that the GunApe is returning, the word "returning" prints on the second line and then gets bumped to the third when it doesn't fit (a paragraph-ending character could be put just before the word with no detriment to the meaning, I feel).

But these are little little things, and do not affect the fact that it functions which is the important thing. In the interests of rapid prototyping, I would never fix anything that doesn't keep the game from functioning until the game is completed, because it is all too easy for a project to stall - even indefinitely - while fiddling on trivia.

Thank you for the update - again, I think it was beautiful and had a great atmosphere.