AuthorTopic: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...  (Read 182290 times)

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Re: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...

Reply #170 on: January 14, 2010, 10:47:59 pm
Alright. Update to the animation.

I'm pretty much gonna leave it there for the time being. I'm gonna go back and try some new things with the legs tonight, and some more background plate stuff to calm me down. :P
After that I'll try sticking some of this together for another still-image mockup.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #171 on: January 14, 2010, 11:33:50 pm
I think that barearmed gorilla is looking very good, I also like the lynx ear, they blend more with the design than those cat ears...the hero is looking pretty good now.

the cat ears and the gun sort of clash though, the gun's paintjob together with the wires on the back and the cat ears make that whole area look a little too crowded. I think the yellow/black wires call too much attention and are thematically less important because they are just MORE of the character's cyborg features, while the Lynx ears are the only hint that the gorilla's genetically modified, therefore far more important. You need to take the focus away from the wires (I'd remove them) and make those ears stand out a little better, they get lost on top of the gun.

Also, I cant see the gorilla's face you need to make it more caricutarized, or give him some cool glasses like those toys you referenced.
This is is an aspect of pixelart that you should keep in mind "design 4 size", you're designing for the final aspect ratio that things will be shown in, so you should put only the details that can be shown in your intented resolution, not less not more.

The animation lokos pretty good, it just lacks analysis of refferences. I really think you're understimating how you can make your own design a lot better if you refference real life and draw your own caricatures, rather than try to do what others have done.
Look at this gorilla walking from the back
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8afAqnar3qw&feature=related check this after 2:02

Gorillas dont walk straight, one leg goes in between the arms, the other goes to a side. They are in a spot between pibed and cuadruped that's why their walk is flawed.

their whole walk is them putting their arms forward, pushing down...then swinging their body diagonally to avance. You should incorporate some way for your guy to move his shoulders, there's a LOT of that oll over a gorilla's motions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDxA8-01cp4&feature=related
they throw their arm forwars with a lot of force, and then they tense them to push their torso and legs off the ground..(this is the point where they're highest in their walk and you sorta diluted it) then they swing to a side and fall.

Your walk right now kind of assumes that the tiny legs are powering it as much as the huge arms do, which obviously cant be so it looks floaty and sort of unnatural.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 12:02:15 am by Conceit »

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #172 on: January 15, 2010, 12:48:00 am
I suggest making his back legs a little bit bulkier.
In my opinion, the yellow cables on the back look pretty good and I tink you should keep them, but make the antennas more visible.

Offline Stab

• I'M WILLOWS!
    • View Profile

Reply #173 on: January 15, 2010, 01:24:35 am
You've sold me on it, Howard. Now that you've explained it (and I'm sure it'd be explained in the game as well), I'm having a much easier time reading a sort of "reluctant hero" in your main character.

Conceit's got good points about the animation, though (Though you misplaced your links, Conceit! It's the 2nd link that has runs after 2:02 :P). I'm not sure I entirely agree that aiming for a realistic (according to the video Conceit posted) run is a wise design choice, as it looks to me a lot more like two midgets doing the wheelbarrow than a powerful, fast run.

Iunno. I can't make any informed judgements, and I think the catlike run -is- the way to go, but Conceit is very right about it floating.

I'll do some experimenting, you'll hear 'bout it if I get anywhere.

-e- nope, I got nothin'.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:42:17 am by Stab »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #174 on: January 15, 2010, 02:34:44 am
This game would be so cool if you just control the gun and not the running. Gorilla just goes stomping away and you have to clear the path.

Seems pretty easy to program actually, have you thought about actually creating the game or is this purely art side?

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #175 on: January 15, 2010, 01:51:51 pm
Okay, guys. It's really late here. Ridiculous Animation Update.

And I did a background plate...

And some screenshots of the prototype...

As I said, it's really, really late here - I'll try and post responses to everyone sometime later.
Keep 'em coming, though.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #176 on: January 15, 2010, 01:59:42 pm
Dgawwwwwww...
Ack!
*cleans drool off of keyboard*

Wow, thats really nice when its all put together, but I find its kinda hard to make out the arms in the prototype screenshots.

Offline Konrad

• View Profile

Reply #177 on: January 15, 2010, 04:33:06 pm
Weeee. I wanna play this on my peecee !
Looking good :).

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #178 on: January 15, 2010, 04:41:46 pm
The gorilla run is looking better. His upper body still defies gravity, especially when both his hands come off the ground (his body starts to dip, but then stops itself BEFORE his hands touch the ground again).  It might be nice if the gun had a little more weight, like he leans toward the left side during his run. It's hard to believe something that big isn't heavy.

Offline twodayslate

• View Profile
    • twitter

Reply #179 on: January 16, 2010, 05:15:33 am
Need testers I hope! :)