AuthorTopic: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...  (Read 182305 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...

Reply #140 on: January 11, 2010, 01:49:58 pm
I was personally really hoping for something more organic as the player sprite. Looks like it's going the opposite direction - to something even more boxy and mechanical than the enemies.

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #141 on: January 11, 2010, 07:40:38 pm
Yes im deeply dissapointed with the main character. I was hoping he would look something like how he looked in the video :\

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #142 on: January 11, 2010, 08:05:20 pm
Yeah, I have to agree that the main character is totally lame. This is personal opinion of course, but with how awesome everything is so far, having a friggin gorilla as the main character just doesn't do it justice. To me, it looks like there is this theme of conflicting technology and nature, or at least some awkward comprise between the two. There is this mechanical and sterile environment, with trees trying to fit themselves into that. I mean I guess it could be cool, but personally I think a bumbling buffoon gorilla is not right. Of course DK country had a gorilla, but I don't think anyone played that game for it's aesthetics, just the gameplay.

Love the color scheme on him though! That blue will look awesome in the orange environment.

Offline Konrad

• View Profile

Reply #143 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02:48 am
Heh. I never expected a gorilla as main character ;). Definately interesting. But I'm sorry to say that I'm not really fond of it. But I guess that depends on how you put him in the setting. So a bit more explanation would be nice.

Pros:
-looks cool
-more "realistic" possibilities to interact with environment (don't you hate it when HUMAN characters can jump around like tarzan in games ;) ?)
-remember TOKI ? Cool game, although you're playing an ape ;). It's something different

Cons:
-what's his weapons ? just fists ? Would be boring imo. And weapons attached to the "shell" wouldn't look good, I think.
-although I see enough possibilities to interact with environment, I see less or even NO possibilities for weapons, powerups, vehicles. At least none which I like. I guess spitting bullets like in TOKI has gotten out of style ;).

BTW: Is it just me, or is he not completely facing right in this render ?

The character has to have a much more dynamic movement. Right now he looks like he's just "lingering around" (do you say so in english ?). It's not looking bad or unrealistic, but boring for the game. The movement of the main character affects the feeling for the game speed. A main character moving like this slows the whole game down.

Tried to find a video of a running gorilla on YouTube, but couldn't find a good video. Need some sleep now ;). Perhaps someone else can help you out there ?!

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #144 on: January 12, 2010, 12:57:57 am
honestly i love the idea of a gorilla for the main character, but im also not huge on the mecha thing. i could see maybe a single mecha arm or something but the full robogorilla makes him seem no different from anything else. im also not big on the colour scheme

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #145 on: January 12, 2010, 12:28:53 pm

How on earth are people supposed to dodge anything with such a ginormous main character?
Unless you just go all like "HULK SMASH PUNY BUGS GRRR" on them with their shots not really hurting you at all which would be awesome.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:32:47 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #146 on: January 12, 2010, 12:45:03 pm
How on earth are people supposed to dodge anything with such a ginormous main character?
Unless you just go all like "HULK SMASH PUNY BUGS GRRR" on them with their shots not really hurting you at all which would be awesome.
That was more or less the idea of Psygnosys' walker shoot-m-up, where you had a sort of "heat gauge" affected both by hits taken and shooting rate, iirc. And it was said to be quite an exciting game to play.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #147 on: January 12, 2010, 08:08:34 pm
And a first walk test for the main character...

Talk about a departure from the original video! I wasnt expecting a parkour kid anymore but jeez! not only is it a big robot gorilla, he's stiff as hell! do you really mean to make him such a slow walker? I guess his torso is stiff because it's a preliminary walk, but with that speed I can only imagine that working if it becomes more of a beatemup instead o a platformer.

Also, in sidescrollers we kind of have a standard of the characters facing the audience in 3/4 , 1/2 or full profile at most regardless of wether they're facing right or left, are you purposedly going against that by showing us the hero's back most of the time?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:18:26 pm by Conceit »

Offline sculptedpixel

• abusing pixels since 1989
    • View Profile
    • sculptedpixel.org

Reply #148 on: January 12, 2010, 09:20:09 pm
WOW!  All this hate for the great ape! 

Size, animation, orientation - these are all very preliminary things and can be easily tweaked.  ROBOKONG as a player-character - I think it's pretty unique and could be fun to be this giant robo ape terrorizing a town full of smallish sprites (who have no hope of stopping, nay even slowing, giant robot simian terror!). 

I don't mind the concept, I'm sure it'll turn out fantastic as everything else here as you polish it up.
"If you can’t beat them, arrange to have them beaten." — George Carlin

Offline linx

• View Profile

Reply #149 on: January 12, 2010, 09:32:29 pm
The reason im so dissapointed in the Ape is all this time he was making the monsters i was imagining playing as the character form the original video, not a giant gorilla  :(