AuthorTopic: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...  (Read 182414 times)

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: Bitten by the sidescroller bug...

Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 08:08:14 am
That there is just sexy. Loving the visual style so far, and that spiderbot looks awesome. There's a part of me that prefers the more staccato movement of the previous animation, though. I think that would work better with a bit of cleanup.

Nice explosion, too, though there's arguably a bit too much flame action at the source. I think if you want to keep some fire going, don't animate them as quickly (their current timing makes them look more like weird firecrackers going off; though I suppose you could call them secondaries).

Got any concepts for the player character?

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 08:47:59 am
Okay...added the guns and a prelim firing animation...

Thoughts?

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 09:02:10 am
Okay...added the guns and a prelim firing animation...

Thoughts?

I love this style. The muzzle flash seems to go backwards though, and emits no lighting atm.  The animation of the recoil seems a little odd too though it's harder to explain why.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 02:50:18 pm
I think you need to be careful not to run into visibility problems - your enemies and your buildings have the same color scheme. Combined that with the high saturation/contrast and intricate detail and you get a severe camoflauging effect.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:52:20 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 03:54:08 pm
Yes, I was going to say that - did the same guy build all the buildings and the bots? Well sure, that guy was YOU in TEH REALITY but think about it - I'd like a different but complementary color scheme on the bot. ' D '
' _ '

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 04:34:59 pm
You might even be able to get away with just doing an inverse of the building color scheme - orange with gray details. that'd still be pretty close but it would be a bit improved
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 07:01:16 pm
LoTekK: Hmm. Well, I'm sure I'm doing more than one variation on the spiderbot theme, so maybe the difference in walk cycles can be one of the identifying features? I'll keep messing about with the explosion, too - I agree with the flickering going on at the source - much too busy. As for the player character...I have some ideas, but nothing solid as of yet. He's gonna be slightly taller than the spiderbot, maybe at most half-again, and in some sort of suit.
Ben2theEdge, Jad: Yeah, I agree - these little guys just get lost in the background. Ben - your suggestion of flipping the color scheme seems to have worked (mostly) perfectly. Nice catch!
- added flash lighting effects...I'll also continue tweaking the recoil animation...
- and a test with the little buggers in the scene - I think they stand out nicely, now.
Thanks again, guys.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 07:12:09 pm
I think the problem with the recoil is the strange chain of events. The gun fires, flash comes out, gun slides back, gun stops sliding back and then stops and suddenly swings up. I would suggest either swinging them up immediately, or just ditch that entirely and just have the slide back. I really really really love this. Can't wait to see more!  ;D

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 04:35:29 am
I have little to no experience in 3D, but I can say that looks amazing. I can imagine playing this on the PS3, and the graphics rival most of the games I have.
I can see very little similarity between your art and the video, but it seems to have sparked some amazing creativity!
I really like how this is coming along, and I hope you make more!

What I can say is that the new color scheme has made the bot much easier to see, and the walker seems to walk funny, for most 4 legged animals its left-front, right-back, right-front, left-back, mainly for stability.
To me, at least, how you have it looks unnatural, but still manages to work! I still think it needs some fine-tuning, however.
The guns look very precarious, lolling about, etc. Its a nice effect but seems a little exaggerated.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:44:04 am by CrazyMLC »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 05:59:10 am
this is absolutely gorgeous. I love how much atmosphere and style you convey without any really off the wall effects or cellshading.