AuthorTopic: [WIP] Hunter girl  (Read 12840 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: [WIP] Hunter girl

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 12:42:13 pm
Ok. I fixed the basic proportions of the top half and bottom half according to:  http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_female.gif
Does this look better?

I do miss the longer legs though.  I suppose I could make the heels higher.   :P

As long as you understand the anatomy, I think you can distort it somewhat to get the effect you want. Capcom's sprites often have much longer legs and compressed upper bodies (see SF3). Be careful of her left leg though, it looks a little too bent.

Offline MegaLeon

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 03:05:05 pm
The left leg sure looks broken to me. You should shift the boot left.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 06:02:53 pm
Thanks again for all your help guys.

Update:  Fixed the boot/leg  Started laying out a forest background.

@Jeremy, good idea.  I'll have to hold off to see what the backgound will be.

Offline Joel

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 01:12:46 am
The arms are still too short, or at least they are giving that feeling because foreshortening is not apparent.
Have you used a reference? I'm sure you could find one of a woman holding some sort of object/staff that can give you a good visual reference for the arms.

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:22:32 am
Another update:

I made the arms a bit longer and played with the background a little more. 

I've put many hours into this and my question is:  Overall, is it interesting at all?  What else could it use?  Or...is it even worth continuing?

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 02:59:18 am
I still think the head looks weird, like she's leaning backwards.

Maybe you could make a small animation. Some lightining/fire effects. Some wind. Just to add some tention.
Right now, it looks like a profile image from an rpg game.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 03:31:13 am
Ok. I fixed the basic proportions of the top half and bottom half according to:  http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_female.gif
Does this look better?

Take a much closer look at that reference. Your measurements should include the head in the height. Female crotch is below the midpoint. I editted it to match it closer:

Loomis' 8-heads scale is a bit... extreme, imo. But it does make for the long legs you want. The legs need to attach to the crotch, legs in general need more anatomical alignment. Shading is quite flat. Be mindful of the planes of the torso (observe the profile in that reference image). The perspective on the background is out. The horizon looks like its way up out of the top of the image. Put in a horizon line and a couple of vanishing points and lay out some basic perspective rays to help plan the background.

And please, give her some pants!  :-X

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 04:19:58 am
Well, eyecraft fixed this in his post, but I feel that it needs to be mentined, too: make sure to take center of gravity into account. You pic has her leaning a little bit, which distracts the viewer and makes it feel less "natural".

I suggest either distributing the weight evenly between the legs and having the center of gravity also centered, leading to a strong stance,
or having the weight put onto one leg with her leaning on that weight-bearing leg, leading to a more dynamic and natural pose that will give you more freedom to play around with.

As for your chosen background, make sure to choose a palette that contrasts well enough with the subject so as to distinguish the two (by "contrast" I mean the contrast of value).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 04:21:34 am by WM »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 02:54:31 pm

I LIKE BENDY LEGS and dynamic lineses

she must pop more

and so

ask away if something's unclear.

This edit is sorta sucky!
' _ '

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 03:09:48 pm
You guys are great.  I love both edits.  You gave me a lot to think about.  I'll work on a better pose...or maybe a few just for practice.  I want to make it interesting and my version wasn't doing that.

And EyeCraft...why pants?    :crazy:

I think at first I was going for a cartoony, amazon warrior, rednecks daughter who's just a bit trigger happy.  I think Jad's edit more conveys this as EyeCraft's edit looks more like a tag along chick who only fired a gun once or twice.  lol  But definately is more correct and believable.