AuthorTopic: [WIP] Hunter girl  (Read 12844 times)

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP] Hunter girl

on: December 08, 2009, 04:04:47 pm
Hi again everyone.   ;D

I'm kind of stuck on this one.  I think the character is ok. I know the hand on the barrel and arm needs fixing.  I also want to add a hunting knife strapped to her leg.
It's the background that's bothering me.  Maybe because lack of ideas?  Hard to say.
I seem to get to this point in a lot of my peices and don't know how to finish.  I want her to fit in with the background.  I thought about adding more of a forest on the left, but I didn't want to add too many more colors.  
I guess I'm looking for general c&c and maybe an idea or two.  Thanks.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:22:22 pm by dpixel »

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Hunter girl

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:54:39 pm
Hello,

first thing that struck me was that the torso of the women has much more details in it than her legs/feet and the background. This makes it look like two different styles in one picture for me.
The arms look too thin for me either.

Maybe a cliche moon would help to bring some content in the back ? A shadow would link the woman to the ground.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 05:10:54 pm
The legs are to cong in comparison to the rest of the body. Also as Zweckform noted, the arms are way to thin. Both arms and hands need more meat.
Also his pose is strange, she's kind of turning to the front, but it looks odd.
But first check proportions.

It would be great if the hunter would project some shadow in the background.

PS: Never save the files as jpeg. Save it as: png or gif. Actually you saved it as png and change the extension. Why did you do that?

I made some quick edit in yours, just to show you how well a shadow could work with that piece. Also made some tweaks in the arms and body. It's not perfect, because I'm not good.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:28:47 pm by Jorund »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 09:10:12 pm
The point of view looks like from the height of her eyes: the horizon should then be at that height too.
Since this would not be very nice, you might raise it less, maybe btw breasts and shoulders at breast height.
It will help with the gun butt too, which looks like a house on the horizon.

Anatomy is way off, Jorund's edit helps but doesn't go as far as needed with the arms. Won't say more about it, I'm not good there.

You give the bg a constant amount of detail btw the foreground, and the, well, bg (plants and such). Try to make detail fade away into simple flat colors as you get farther.
A forest is a good idea, think of a misty one, with just a few silhouettes of trees.
Also, you should probably keep most of the warmer / more sat colors for the girl and a few foreground highlights, and leave the bg to the coldest.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:46:27 pm by Manupix »

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:50:40 pm
First off thanks for everyones replies. 

I guess I'll just work on anatomy first.  I figured out the the neck was too short.  I do that a lot.  I also fattened up the arms a little.  Probably needs a bit more...such as her left elbow over the gunstock somewhat.
Do the legs still look to long now with these changes?  Keeping in mind the skirt is really short.

@Jorund, I did not change the file extension.  Tinypic did.  I see no quality loss as far as I can tell.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:32:19 pm
@Jorund, I did not change the file extension.  Tinypic did.  I see no quality loss as far as I can tell.
Yes, later I realized it, sorry about that.

I know, I know, it's horribly stretched, but I did it just to look for a better height:

With the proper corrections to both head and body, I think the legs won't look that long now. If you're thinking: why not shrink the longs legs. Well, I dunno, I think i liked long legs  :P
Also try putting yourself in that position, and you ll notice, that you're right arm isn't that relaxed, that's why it looks too short. Something similiar happens with the other arm.

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:43:26 am
I'm still struggling with this.  It's almost the more I mess with it, the worse it gets.  My eye is so poor for stuff like this.  Anyway, here's an update.  I can't tell if it's better or worse.  What do you guys think? 

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:50 am
EVERYTHING below the waist is simply too big. The torso itself needs to be taller.

Offline dpixel

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:20:06 pm
Ok. I fixed the basic proportions of the top half and bottom half according to:  http://www.idrawdigital.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/prop_female.gif
Does this look better?

I do miss the longer legs though.  I suppose I could make the heels higher.   :P

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 12:38:05 pm
I think the skin needs some yellower highlights (tho' if it's a night scene bluish shadows may be better)