AuthorTopic: Palette improvements  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Palette improvements

on: December 08, 2009, 07:43:59 am
Hello,

after having some good experience with other pixelguys i finally decided to give up my single fighter mentality and discuss my and others picture more.
Thats why i joined pixelation, it seems there are excellent artists here who are friendly and really help improving one.

Now thats enough of a speech now, back to the pixels:

Though this piece was in a compo at Pixeljoint, a comment of slym made be think. He mentioned that the palette wasn't too well. As i thought it was, i was wondering, which other ways could have been chosen and if it would have improved or only changed things.

So could you please help with variations ? Thanks alot for any insight.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: Palette improvements

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:17:46 am
A palette isn't good or bad by itself, it's about the message the palette should convey. One thing to consider is, that you have sculpted your picture (with pixels) with a straight ramp, value-wise. This means, regardless of what colors/hues you use, if you don't want to alter your pixelplacement your lighting is set. So you're free to use whatever color you want and the picture should be readable, at least form-wise. It's all about what you want to convey: Mood, Material,...

Your shading looks a bit like it's a reflective material, like metal. First I tried to make a gold-version. I looked at some references in the internet and tried to reproduce what I saw (in my case tutanchamun). After I finished the coloring, I checked if the form reads well, by converting all colors to grayscale (looking if I have too similar colors value-wise, too).

Next I wanted to make something more atmospheric, like a mad scientist. There I tried to use some unhealthy colors (checked after finishing by converting the colors to grayscale). And it works too.

Yours works too, form-wise. But I don't know exactly what you want to say, it's not very atmospheric. Imagine some situation your in and look up some reference and change the colors according your feelings to increase the impact on the viewer.

[edit]

Here's another version. Maybe a bit more like your initial intention:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:56:14 am by Rosse »

Offline Zweckform

• Monks shouldn't pixel
    • View Profile

Re: Palette improvements

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:37:44 am
Hello,

Rosse: Thanks for your reply. I really forgot to mention what the pic is about, sorry.

The topic was to depict someone listening to music in 150x50 and 8 colours. So i chose to draw someone who was watching an opera through his/her lorgnette.

I had to find colours that match metall and skin so i chose the current one.

Your "gold edition" looks quite nice, so does the "mad" one for the scientist topic.