AuthorTopic: re-VAMP [Mainly Fire-emblem portrait sprites]  (Read 4568 times)

Offline Vampire Elf

• View Profile

re-VAMP [Mainly Fire-emblem portrait sprites]

on: December 08, 2009, 03:53:13 am
OK, Fire emblem 'mug-shots' are my style of choice, and most of the portraits I've posted here are GBA versions of non-gba Fire emblem games, I do sprite original characters too, like Jerrike, though at the moment I am involved in a Fire Emblem: 4 Project(Hence the fe4 mugs) and Have an interest in spriting the Fire emblem 9-10 chatacters in the GBA style. (Most of mugs are just in the Fire emblem style and are custom though some contain spliced parts[I don't really make a habit of splicing, at least not lately]

FE9-10 GBA Mugs.
Nailah

Titania

Jill

Elincia

FE4 GBA Mugs.
Yurius

Fee

Lachesis

Alteena(Still in progress[SIP])

Diadora(SIP)

Ethlin(SIP)

My latest mug of Jerrike

Offline BwdYeti

• Emo Halb + Emocar = :|
    • View Profile

Re: re-VAMP [Mainly Fire-emblem portrait sprites]

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 04:11:42 am
Your face sprites are always good, Vamp :o
I still don't like mug becoming the de facto term

Trying to actually make this post useful... Fee's forehead seems a little back  at the upper left due to the hair angles, Diadora's hair is a bit bland because there's too much of the lightest tone, a few have the mid-tone in the hair fairly bright so there's not much contrast with the lightest. Jerrike has really low saturation, but that seems like a stylistic choice? Titania's nose and mouth could probably stand to be moved up a pixel (leaving the line defining the lip where it is, it's too thin right now).
Not much to say, since you know what you're doing here.

Offline Vampire Elf

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 04:22:46 am
@Yeti:
I'll attempt to fix all the issues, though Diadora's hair will probably need further work after further cnc because no matter what I do it doesn't look right to me let-alone anyone else :)
Thanks for taking the time to comment and it's always nice to see a fimiliar face in a new place :)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 05:23:23 am
These are pretty good. :y:

I'd say these are the strongest:

Some of the others have fairly awkward poses and inconsistent angles.

For instance:

Neck, ears, shoulders don't line up.

Chest guard doesn't appear to be at the proper angle. Same with shoulders, the left side is slightly higher. But eyes and face is straight across.

Another thing that stands out is the clothing / armor is not consistent on many of these sprites. The shoulder pads are different on each shoulder and sometimes you just bend the shapes to make them fit.

For instance:

Look at the left side of her armor and then the right side. None of the parts line up with each other, the most obvious being the hook shaped decoration, which is obviously meant to be the same on each side.

You do a good job at decorating the costume, but make sure you keep the basic shapes of the objects your making in mind so they look more convincing.