AuthorTopic: Steampunkish kid  (Read 6870 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Steampunkish kid

on: December 07, 2009, 01:44:58 pm
Just practicing modeling from a character concept image.  I painted over the model to try to flesh out the direction I wanted to take this.. but it's pretty rough

Concept Sketch:  http://danfessler.com/dump/steampunksketch.jpg

Model:  (944 tris - wings3d)

Paintover:

I plan to start texturing now, but before I do I figure I should post the wireframe here to see if there are any problems.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:02:08 pm by Indigo »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Re: Steampunkish kid

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 02:41:24 pm
Optimisation-wise, I woulda split the goggles off and just intersected the meshes instead of extruding them from the hat. Same deal with the backpack. I also doubt you really need the extra edges coinciding with the stitches along the side of the cap. The visor probably doesn't actually need any thickness. As for the hands, I'd suggest either putting the edges running vertically down from the thumb to better use defining shape/silhouette, or get rid of them completely (lengthen the pink edges, or merge them completely).

You'll want an extra loop around the upper arm to help with shoulder deformation, btw.

Aesthetically, I think it's cool, but I find myself preferring the proportions of the concept, especially with regards to the cap.

Blue edges can be merged/collapsed, red edges can be deleted (split the goggles off, possibly the backpack), green edges to be added
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:43:15 pm by LoTekK »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:54:12 pm
Thanks for the great feeback, LoTekK.

I made all of the alterations you suggested, and you were certainly right about them.  I dont know why it didn't occur to me to use seperate objects for the goggles, that was just silly.  I also played with the hat proportions - hopefully this is a bit better?  The hand I ended up completely revamping.  I made the palm face downward because it made more sense with the way the sleeve cuff is.  hopefully i fixed the thumb thing as well.  The only thing I didn't do was seperate the backpack.  I didn't really feel a need to because I'd only be saving 3 polygons.  not too big of a deal.

920 tris now

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:03:06 pm by Indigo »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 04:21:44 am
Yeah, those hands are looking nice. Good point about the lack of tri-saving on the backpack; I tend to get pretty ocd about optimisation, which can occasionally be my downfall. :p

This is ultimately down to personal preference, but I feel like the hat could benefit from some real exaggeration. Oversize it, Fievel-like. Push those proportions like you did in the concept, which has an awesome attitude about it. Big hat, shorter visible portion of the head. Also, it hadn't occurred to me prior, but the ears on the concept, relatively insignificant that they might be, added nicely to the look, and I feel they deserve a couple tris, even if they're just planes. Did a quick liquify and paintover to illustrate.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 01:38:28 pm
This is cool!

I have to agree theres something in the concept sketch that is lost in the model. I think it's just the proportions in general. I get a feeling like the model has been stretched out a little more towards "sensible" proportions. I think you should try shortening the legs, and yes definitely add the ears! Maybe expand the hair a little? Just an idea.

Reminds me of Final Fantasy (haha I accidentally wrote "fantasty"  :lol:).

Don't really agree with the colours in the paint over. I say go for something more harmonic, rather than just primaries.