AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG Pirate sprite  (Read 2882 times)

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

[WIP] RPG Pirate sprite

on: December 07, 2009, 08:26:27 am
Hi there, first time posting here after being advised to come here if I needed help.
I'm a beginner with pixels and have a lot of trouble doing some stuff. Right now I'm having trouble coloring a pirate for a RPG.

Just so you know, I did only the colouring, the template was kindly shared by green raven (http://www.greensart.nl).
So, first of all, I made the front view and here's what I have so far : (Ah, looks like the shadow below the guy didn't make it with the animated gif)

(Yeah, he's a kind pirate)
So my problem with it, I guess, is coming from the hair. I tried for hours to have nice shadows and highlights, but I'm not entirely satisfied. Also, I'm not really sure there's enough contrast with the cloths.

Here's the non animated version + the start of the side view (I'd need help on the hair here too, I'm just lost here :p) :

So... Here. If you have ANY advice I would gladly try my best to improve this little guy. Thanks!

EDIT1 : Deleted a few colors

EDIT2 : I upped the contrast of the belt (well, I tried to at least :p), changed the shirt so that it doesn't give the feeling I mirrored it (not sure if I'm satisfied with it though) and tried to clear the hair next to the eye patch.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:27:57 pm by MicKo »

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG Pirate sprite

Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:25 pm
The issue with your sprite is definately contrast. your details just don't stand out. I didn't really notice the peg leg or the beard until I zoomed in and the eye patch looks like an extended piece of hair. Which made me think of a red-headed emo. (sorry to all emo's I didn't mean this as offence)

zoomed out your shirt looks like it's been mirrored in the second edit for the animation. Honestly greenraven created this sprite for RMXP so why the colour restriction?

PS I hate the chibi look, I feel like any main character could be crushed easy, and that kills any believability of said character being able to use any sort of trained attacks.

Offline MicKo

• Ylzorr
    • View Profile
    • itch.io

Re: [WIP] RPG Pirate sprite

Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:23:33 pm
Thanks!

Here's my edit. I upped the contrast of the belt (well, I tried to at least :p), changed the shirt so that it doesn't give the feeling I mirrored it (not sure if I'm satisfied with it though) and tried to clear the hair next to the eye patch.

As for the colour restriction. Well, as you can see I'm not a pixel art pro or anything, but I think I improved my little guy by reducing the number of colours. But maybe I'm wrong ? Bah, I just don't know. :p

As for the chibi look, I'd agree if I was planning to use this template for a "serious" game. And I see this character wearing a pistol/sabre just fine, but that would be based on my tastes.

Thanks again for the critic!

PS : I do what I can, but I'm sorry if my english is weird, that's not my main language.