AuthorTopic: [WIP] Iso: House  (Read 11772 times)

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: [WIP] Iso: House

Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 10:09:08 am
... try working with a layer with layer mode set to burn or similar. I found that it can produce pretty nice effects for something like wood. Play with layer modes to find the right one.

But... but... but, that's, well, ah, not pixel art, is it?
109 colors in version #3, >256 in #4...

I'm sure the experienced artist can use layer modes in this way to save time and knows how to retain control, but I wouldn't recommend this as a learning tool.
The point in doing it by hand is, mostly, to learn how things look like, more than how to actually draw them. If you let a tool do the drawing for you, you skip a lesson.

This house is way too big in my opinion, esp if you plan a pixel city.
I generally agree about comments about shading, contrast and detail.

The contrast difference btw the 2 walls is almost non-existent, compared to the roof. Also, the texture should be much more contrasted and apparent on the sunlit side, than on the shadow side.
Think about shifting hues on both wall and roof: shadows will tend to be a different color than highlights, depending on the situation (bluer shadows on a sunlit day outside, for instance).

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 02:16:45 pm
Windows? And maybe some discoloration if the building is supposed to be old.
I havn't gotten to the part where I shouls add windows and such yet.

A roof doesn't usually end flush with the walls. There is usually an overhang - as well as guttering and drainpipes. What is the roof? Tiles? Corrigated iron?

As for the walls, the wood texture is a good start, but what about adding in some 'wear and tear' some less-than-perfect joins, some cracks, stains, and yes.. other features like windows/sills/drainpipes/possibly power supply feeding into it?

I also think (structurally) Just the four corner posts/beams is not really sufficient to hold up a builind of this sort.. let alone take the weight of such a large roof.

-Z-
Good idea for the roof, I havn't started the pixeling part of the roof yet since there are other things with the wood that needs work. And I will get to the windows/sills/drainpipes and such later on.

But... but... but, that's, well, ah, not pixel art, is it?
109 colors in version #3, >256 in #4...

I'm sure the experienced artist can use layer modes in this way to save time and knows how to retain control, but I wouldn't recommend this as a learning tool.
The point in doing it by hand is, mostly, to learn how things look like, more than how to actually draw them. If you let a tool do the drawing for you, you skip a lesson.

This house is way too big in my opinion, esp if you plan a pixel city.
I generally agree about comments about shading, contrast and detail.

The contrast difference btw the 2 walls is almost non-existent, compared to the roof. Also, the texture should be much more contrasted and apparent on the sunlit side, than on the shadow side.
Think about shifting hues on both wall and roof: shadows will tend to be a different color than highlights, depending on the situation (bluer shadows on a sunlit day outside, for instance).
This house is for a MMORPG, it's not to big, in fact me and my friend discussed and it might be too small. Good point with the 2 walls having a non-existant contrast difference.

I hope this new edition included some of your comments:
www.key2heaven.com/k2h2/house5.PNG
My pixeled 2D MMORPG: https://discord.gg/TmHHJkG

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 03:13:39 pm
Decided to start working a little on windows and such and this is how it turned out:

www.key2heaven.com/k2h2/house6.PNG

I found it difficult to fade the windows, so some pointers on that would be nice.

Edit: Further Updates:
www.key2heaven.com/k2h2/house7.PNG
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:23:31 pm by Triple »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 06:42:43 pm
Windows: these are the window frames but there are no actual windows; the bars do not look centered, because they are actually centered on the outside of window frames, which they shouldn't be since since they are recessed (does this make sense?); the 3 outline pixels in the lower outer corners should be removed.

Door: it might be recessed too; having it centered is maybe not the best visual option, nor a good structural option (cut of center post).

Chimney: centered on the roof > same thing; the top and all brick joints being horizontal, should have the iso 2x1 angle; chimneys usually are rectangles not squares (from above), and made of far thicker bricks / stones.

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 07:19:48 pm
Reorganising the centering and such is a pretty big job atm, so for now I fixed the other things you mentioned:
www.key2heaven.com/k2h2/house8.PNG

Offline Phones

• Darn Right
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 07:34:20 pm
I'm thinking that the chimney there has some perspective issues. It looks rather off. Also, a cast shadow, and maybe removal of those black lines would be helpful as it stands, so it blends in with the house more. The chimney is the first thing my eyes jump to there.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 07:56:14 pm
Chimney: centered on the roof > same thing; the top and all brick joints being horizontal, should have the iso 2x1 angle; chimneys usually are rectangles not squares (from above), and made of far thicker bricks / stones.
Here's a hastily made example to illustrate the case of the chimney.

A run-in-the-mill chimney stack typically has flat tops that do not slant alongside the pitch of the roof. Neither does its brickwork slant along with the pitch of the roof, because chimneys are not supposed to be laid out in this manner (chimneys made from masonry usually run from within the house (starting from the fireplace) to the top of the stack, so they need to be laid out evenly). This is what a typical chimney stack would look like when the rest of the building is gone:

Unless this is exactly what you're aiming for.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:01:10 pm by The Mozack »

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 07, 2009, 08:15:51 pm
I suppose a good idea could be to have the chimney outside the exterior wall. Imagine putting the image http://farm1.static.flickr.com/18/72642830_b1fa383aae.jpg onto the wall of a house, and the place you put the wood is aimed into the wall. And hence from inside you can only see the chimney fire place. That way I could also add a pile of wood outside the house.

Offline The Mozack

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 06:42:05 am
I suppose a good idea could be to have the chimney outside the exterior wall. Imagine putting the image http://farm1.static.flickr.com/18/72642830_b1fa383aae.jpg onto the wall of a house, and the place you put the wood is aimed into the wall. And hence from inside you can only see the chimney fire place. That way I could also add a pile of wood outside the house.
That works. Go for it.

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 03:57:43 pm
This is how it turned out:

www.key2heaven.com/k2h2/house9.PNG