AuthorTopic: [WIP] Evil Rat  (Read 9193 times)

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Re: Evil Rat [WIP]

Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 03:10:50 am
Temple/Castle (Not PixelArt) Background:

Solid Background:

Now that I shrink it further, I think i'm waaaay wrong. Maybe I should go with a full frontal view.

¿How is the Zelda/Tibia/Pokemon/etc perspective called? I think, that this game, at least tries, to have that kind of perspective.
The thing is, I think Zelda, doesn't have profile view for the sides. So... I don't know.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 05:53:01 pm
I'll help you out :)

Your rat needs to be exactly half as high on the southward facing sprite as it is wide on the eastward facing sprite. That's the classical perspective used in 90% of the oldschool RPGs, including the screenshot you showed.

It's basically a variation of isometric, but rotated 45° to have the four cardinal directions facing in up, down, left and right. This means that a barrel (which doesn't have corners), should look identical in isometric and this perspective.

I hope that helped.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 06:29:25 pm
I'll help you out :)

Your rat needs to be exactly half as high on the southward facing sprite as it is wide on the eastward facing sprite. That's the classical perspective used in 90% of the oldschool RPGs, including the screenshot you showed.

It's basically a variation of isometric, but rotated 45° to have the four cardinal directions facing in up, down, left and right. This means that a barrel (which doesn't have corners), should look identical in isometric and this perspective.

I hope that helped.

It did, thanks a lot. There's a name for this perspective? Or it just called classical?
What about humans or antropomorphic creatures (which are very narrow)? Is there any guide/page, which I can learn more about this classical perspective?

This is what I've done so far (I know the head is too big compared to the body, but I like it :crazy:, maybe I should make de body a little bit bigger, or make the body even more frontal):

I still need to fix the side sprite.  :) But I jump to other part of the project or even to other stuff when I get a little stuck.

Thanks for the help  ;D

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 07:21:41 pm
I think that for a human it means that the length from, say, chest to back, would be half in the up/down of the left right. Isometric perspective also makes things half as "tall" as they really are, but is on 30o lines :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 01:28:59 am
The perspective is still called isometric technically, but you'll find it referenced as "topdown", "bird's eye", etc., which are all vague and maybe even incorrect terms.

I tried to show some extra construction lines you have to consider and edited a little. I probably took it in an equally wrong direction.

Try to make a wireframe and reproject it into the south facing direction. Remember that all lines on the Y and Z axis need to be halved.

If you look down on the nose from a 45° angle the nose still needs to be in front of the paws. If you look at the blue line, the ears need to be in front of the back paws too