AuthorTopic: Almost pixel art; help with perspective please  (Read 10255 times)

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Almost pixel art; help with perspective please

on: December 05, 2009, 11:05:01 pm
Hey everyone, this is something I'm been slaving over for several days now and have recently realized that without the aid of more experienced people I'm going to really mess up.

Pretty much what you see here is 2 mules, a wagon, and a figure of (what is supposed to be) a dwarf traveling through a mountain pass at the crack of dawn. I still need to make 6 more dwarf figures but I really have no experience with perspective at this kind of angle and I just need to know if it looks believable currently and if not what I can do to fix it. :'(

Also, I didn't limit myself to colors, that's why I posted it here.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Almost pixel art; help with perspective please

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:47:38 pm
Hmm, I thought I finally had an understanding of how to work with perspective, but I'm not so sure now. Regardless, maybe this will help until someone more experienced can help:

I believe this is a two-point perspective, where there are two vanishing points that intersect. The red lines are the points of the top of the wagon, yellow are the bottom corners of the wagon.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:28:46 am by Dusty »

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:01:29 am
That helps a ton, thank you.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 12:17:34 am
Well like I said, might want to wait for someone more experienced. I have no class training on perspective, and I believe the vanishing points should be on the same y-axis(horizon)... so this could be totally wrong.

http://www.termespheres.com/perspective.html may be of use, as well as this thread that discusses perspective heavily:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=7726.0

edit: There, I've updated the original with a hopefully more correct version.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:28:27 am by Dusty »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:38:32 am
I believe this is a two-point perspective, where there are two vanishing points that intersect. The red lines are the points of the top of the wagon, yellow are the bottom corners of the wagon.

That's about right. The vanishing points do appear to be on the horizon (as you said before your edit ;) )  if the road and cart are horizontal. It's not necessarily strictly the case, but not by much, unless you deliberately make the road very rough.

The vanishing points get further apart as the angle of view gets narrow ('telephoto view'), and get closer as the angle of view widens. Looks about ok on Dusty's edit, too.

I think the road is too wide to be nice, and the cart is too wide and low to be realistic. You might check some ref.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:40:33 am
You got it right Dusty  :y:

just expand off of what Dusty did, using bounding boxes that follow the perspective rules for the dwarves.

EDIT:

I think the road is too wide to be nice, and the cart is too wide and low to be realistic. You might check some ref.

I agree; I believe that the road might just be leveling out of a downward slope, but in its current state I'm a little unsure about it. Once it's shaded and refined it might work, put if I were you I would reduce the intensity of that roads curve just a little.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:45:45 am by WM »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:20 pm
Also, you can make the landscape appear a lot deeper by furthering aerial perspective, shoreline actual persp, and making the road more discreet.

Edit (with dirty npa tools):

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 10:35:29 pm
Fantastic edit, I'll see what I can do.