AuthorTopic: [WIP]Headbanger  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Salmeron

• View Profile

[WIP]Headbanger

on: December 04, 2009, 07:47:07 pm
Well, that's the first pixel art I made since a few months :

I'm sure I do need a "few" desing n pixel art tips, my colour pallete is simply...Weird xD. Would you guys please help me improve this guy?

BTW, sorry if I miss the english.

Offline Salmeron

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Headbanger

Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 10:37:16 pm
Ohh..I'm not asking you guys to made him, just to tell me what to do, c'mon  ;D

JAD EDITS GUY'S POST: Seriously, wait until it's been it's been pushed down a fair distance before you start asking for comments. 3 hours is not cool. At least wait a day or something. You should be thankful that Gil is actually still taking time out of his life to respond to you!

With that said, please keep posting and pixelling. <3
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:09:10 am by Jad »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:46:53 pm
Dude, you only gave us three hours to reply, be patient.

First question to me would be, is she wearing clothes or not? The body seems to have a darker color, suggesting some sort of clothing, but that couldn't be the case as we're seeing the abs (those are abs right?).

Second question, female or male? The face looks very masculin (heavy browline) and the body is either a man with a patterned shirt or a female with some sort of cleavage.

If you clear up these things, I'll do an edit. The silhouette looks okay, so it's more a shading problem.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 05:39:56 am
Hi!
An edit:
->
Bullet-points of my thought process behind this'a! :crazy:
 +I'd say the biggest issue with your piece is using black outlines to convey information. It's really harsh harmful to the picture! Using either lighter outlines or good use of planes (surfaces of light)
 +His hair. The highlights on his hair are actually quite good :D Hair is one of the hardest things to get looking right, so be proud  :P! There are issues with it though: the way it's shaped makes it look like he got his hair all salon'd up. Straighten it up and remove some volume and he'll be more metal! (his hair is still pretty big in my edit, heh)
 +I changed the skintones a little bit. Only thing that really mattered that I changed was upping the saturation of the base tone.
 +You're banding a lot of your shading, most visible on both of his shoulders. It's difficult to explain so just see this post by Helm: link
 +I made him an amputee because I didn't know what to do with the arm :-\
 +Anatomy~!
  ++ His face: I made it more realistic. I don't know what to really say? lowered his mouth, made his ears a bit more separate from his face, cut out the black lines, made his eyes more implied and his brow more visible.
  ++ Torso: highlights on his chest are the main culprit behind gender confusion (assuming he's a man) so I flattened it out :P Also, the waist going inward is another feminine thing, men are made out of manly flat shapes! You should look at a reference image for, well, just about anything anatomical, just a quick glance will show you some issues: the 'sixpack' is more spread out and less defined, the chest is higher up, ribs aren't visible on people with six packs generally, so I think you should decide whether you want him underweight or fit. Also, his torso is definitely the weakest part of my edit. Y'know why? because I didn't use a reference :huh:
  ++ His shoulders are slanted, another feminine trait :P if you straighten them out and broaden his shoulders, he looks more manly.

Hm, I'm probably forgetting something.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Salmeron

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 01:18:02 am
  1st of all, thanks to everybody , and Hey... It's a man dude xD

I remade this little guy, hair color change and a few modifications on the anatomy, take a look :
First

Second(Remodeling, starting w/ the edges)

Third(Edges ready)

Fourth(All done)

So...What u guys think about it?

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:31:08 am
Make sure to remove any ragged edges! The ones that first caught my eyes are those on the lower parts of the arms.

Are you planning on adding an outline?

Oh, and great improvement on the anatomy, it looks a lot better!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:50:49 am
That's a 400% improvement for sure! Great work!

If you're going to keep the background, I suggest some AA. Especially on the hair and arms

Offline Salmeron

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 03:24:28 pm

A little better for now..Fixed some jags.. I think I could use some help with his face and arms,  looks like he's a lazy from hawaii xD

What you mean by AA?Alcoholics Anonymous? Sorry I'm newbie  :crazy:

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 07:11:57 pm
He means antialiasing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antialiasing

Basically it's just the intended smoothing of edges to reduce the appearance of a lower resolution and to produce a more organic shape.