AuthorTopic: Animations ~updated again~  (Read 11346 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Animations ~updated again~

on: March 13, 2006, 11:42:26 pm
Wow, these are like the first animations I've done in forever...
I don't really do animations, so I figured I'd get some practice.

I was thinking about making a death animation for the second one - all juicy and blood-spattered, and a walk cycle for the first one. I'm fairly pleased with the outcome of both, considering my lack of frequent animation.
Anyway, C&C, please.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 12:48:50 am by Xion Night »

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Re: Animations

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 03:11:07 am
I still remember that one with the little karate guy I used to reference motion blurring for my avatar, heh.
Anyways, for the first one, there should be a secondary shadow that appears and disappear according to his muzzle flash. The walk is very smooth for the second one. It's also not as great as something I'd expect from you animation-wise, but the piece itself is pretty cool.
Lemme guess, uh... 6 frames? Looks like something that can run on 60 FPS. Good job.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 03:49:52 am
Thanks.
Anyways, for the first one, there should be a secondary shadow that appears and disappear according to his muzzle flash.
I thought I had that...
Lemme guess, uh... 6 frames?
Nah, more like 10. I completely wasn't paying attention to the number of frames when I made these. That'll be my next mission. (Thanks for reminding me.)
The walk is very smooth for the second one. It's also not as great as something I'd expect from you animation-wise, but the piece itself is pretty cool.
Thank you. :)

As for that Karate guy, I tried making something like a sequel to that, but about halfway through my compy screwed up and I had forgotten to save it. T_T. That style is much harder to do than these two things.

Ack, I just noticed that the green guy's front-fore leg seems to drag. Well, I'll try an' fix that, I will.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 11:21:04 am
*love* the second one in particular. So smooth with sub-pixel movement that reminds me of Metal Slug a bit. Very creepy, if a little monochromatic.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 11:26:46 am
Those are quite some of the best animations I'v seen In a while .
Great job with them xion night ..

Offline Hase

• Zombies. Stuff.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 12:17:14 pm
oooh yeah. we donīt get nearly enough animation here at pixelation. especially the second one is very cute. and Iīm all in favor of a messy death animation (duh).

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 03:32:44 am
Thanks, guys!

I'm not so sure about these colors...especially the yellow. I tried adding bloodsplats to the pointy legs, like they're used for stabbing or something, but it's hard to get that through with this tiny scale. Well, I added some other animation tweaks as well.
C&C.

[edit]

Alright, this makes me smile. It keeps the green palette without looking too monotonous.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 03:58:48 am by Xion Night »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 04:44:06 am
this is great Xion, I have seen you making some strides and you showed in that gamemaking activity you have good ideas, I'm glad you got into animation.

your results are great too, I'm glad you got into the subpixel vibe right away. I suggest you try some one bit effects and frame redrawing now, I think you got the right basis.

now spread the word, tell everybody how fun and easy animation is ;D

first guy has a simple action and his animation is just the right complexity for the action, no crits there.

is your second guy supposed to be biologic? I guessed so because you mention blood for a death anim, I think he looks pretty damn mechanic though. if you still want to use the more greenish highlights I'd say put them on the head/torso.

I think you should keep second guy's legs with the blueish hihglights, those are really pretty colors and you should expose them as much as you can.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 04:45:45 am by Camus »

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:10:52 am
great animation, very fluid, but think is a litle slow for me  :P

And about the robot, i will change the ilumination when shot. I will added a litle of "white" for more sense.

A litle edit:

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 01:26:11 pm
Hell xion the second one is fantastic. Makes me wanna do some animations right away. The coloredit is abour right, the red is maybe a tad bit too saturated. Oh well  - go make more heh?