AuthorTopic: Your choice of background color  (Read 11891 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Your choice of background color

Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 01:41:09 pm
Quote from: gil
Everyone tends to end up in the green-blue range.

I use brown tinted gray because it reminds me of stone and dirt. I have used green tinted gray in the past, but I really prefer the brown. Green to me is a little too harsh, the color alone is powerful because it is associated in my mind with plants, which are brimming with life. Brown is soft, dead, and muted, and allows me to quickly achieve unbiased colors and the right saturation levels. Any other color seems to influence my work habits, because I tend towards sea colors with blue, forest colors with green, but because gray-brown is so far away from any predominate color most of the time, I think it allows less of my subconscious to use colors that compliment the surrounding area.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 11:50:34 pm
Like Mathias and others I tend to like a dark blue/greenish grey. Though probably a bit more dark and less grey than others here.. :)

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 12:14:17 am
When working on game sprites:

I usually work on white unless I know specifically what color/colors my image is going to be appearing on.

To me, balance with its intended background is more important than attempted universal balance, and I go about this by choosing my background palettes alongside my character's palettes.

Offline BwdYeti

• Emo Halb + Emocar = :|
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 07:51:16 am
I use pure blue. It gets some of the advantage of pure saturated magenta and such, but without the eye strain. I also prefer it as a color that's not likely to be use in the piece, so it's easier to not have random pixels get lost on the canvas, keeping things tidy. Making something that includes 8,8,8 on a pure black background and then moving things around can leave pixels behind. Also I just like blue.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 06:31:00 pm
Can you post the RGB of your blue you're using? I'm very interested, since I don't know a lot of people who use saturated colors.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 06:31:42 pm
Can you post the RGB of your blue you're using? I'm very interested, since I don't know a lot of people who use saturated colors.

Also please, pieces of pixel art made to this color if you will :)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 08:43:44 pm
If I may be able to chime in here. I too use a a pure White background. I always did sketches in my school notebooks, hence the white preference. Plus, white is an easy color to transfer transparencies in copy paste situations. The only one time I used a different background was for my latest game demo. I used a HSL: 269, 98, 65. Since that was my sky color. I found it pleasing, but used white for most of the pixeling.

Offline BwdYeti

• Emo Halb + Emocar = :|
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 04:27:33 am
I meant straight up 0,0,255, since it's easy to get to in MS Paint.
Things made on it...

ps does this board have a spoiler tag, I would have put the images in that but

Jad replies in edit form as to not take up too much space: hey dude, it's relevant to the thread, just post'em and feel happy ' u ' I'll, as the moderator I am, make sure people don't go off-topic and start commenting small details about your thangs mang
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:34:33 am by Jad »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 04:50:55 am
Very interesting, I'll have to study these to see if there's anomalies in the palette that can be tied to the blue.

Do you make your own palettes while working on the blue background?

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 09, 2009, 10:38:39 am
I use the darker teal color. I like it more than straight up fushia (IT BURNS MY EYES! :'().

I never use black or white because when a color is next to, say, white, it looks darker. (Its an optical illusion of sorts) and so, usually, you compensate, and your images tend to be brighter than they should be. (Opposite goes for black, it turns out darker.) Though I can understand it if you want to have a darker themed image or a lighter themed one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:40:39 am by CrazyMLC »