AuthorTopic: Warhammer Space marine 16 x 16  (Read 11601 times)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Warhammer Space marine 16 x 16

on: December 03, 2009, 08:10:19 pm
Inspired by this thread:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=9547.0

I decided to try to make a little 16 x 16 sprite based on an ultramarine (always my favourite marine type). I've always liked 16 x 16 since the ST / Amiga, even if it makes sprites like this hard to do in the small space. The palette is a modified version of Arne's 16 colour palette.

I can't get it quite right, but I still like it so far:

(Designed for x2 zoom)

Reference Image:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/6/60/Tacsquad.gif

Suggestions on how to improve the likeness?

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Warhammer Space marine 16 x 16

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 10:50:07 pm
I lol'd when I saw the title of the thread and who made it.

This is cool! You should do an assault marine, as well ;)

Sub-pixel work is your friend at this resolution. Instead of saying "mouth is here, so BLACK!" think "what are all the details that would go inside this pixel? which colour is going to summarise them?"

Also, try not to work on a black or near-black canvas. It throws off your colour and silhouette perception. Work on something like a middle-grey.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:37:15 pm
Thanks for the C&C and edit Eyecraft!

I agree with you about the background. I was thinking about some kind of dark space crusade / space hulk background tiles, but the grey is a little too dark.
However I tried sub-pixel work in the face and I don't agree with the mouth c&c. In the reference pictures, the mouth shape is not just a single line but a vivid dark arch. I think the subpixel doesn't convey that and makes it look like a dark thin mouth and almost a nose. As the sprites would be used at x2, x3 or x4 (for an ST/Amiga game) then I am also reluctant to use sub-pixel work for very key details.

I will have another play! BTW: Which one is the assault marine? Is it the terminator ones? :P

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 09:36:28 pm
Alright.. version 2!

Lightened background, brightened most colours, improved shading and refined helmet to suggest better eyes and worked on gun to make it look better and more like a bolter.
Grouped palette by hues for easier drawing.

Also added an Ork, although that has several issues still. :P

I think it's better. :)

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 11:11:15 am
This looks great! awesome pixel management and great readability. Reminded me a lot of the Warhammer Tactical Command games. Are you gonna create a full sprite sheet?
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 12:04:29 pm
I would like to create some more sprites for the various races in the warhammer universe, although I'd need some great model references. :)

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 12:54:37 pm
I would like to create some more sprites for the various races in the warhammer universe, although I'd need some great model references. :)

Well be aware some models vary according to the editions. Your space marine seems up-to-date, but as you might have seen on my terminator thread, sometimes the armor can vary a lot in therms of size and shape. That's also one of the reasons of why I'm having such a hard time with it aswell. For other space marine essencials you might want to create a Dreadnought, a Predator Tank, and obviously, a Terminator, since they're the most known units of the space marine army. As for the Orcs I recommend Shoota Boyz, a Killa Kan, Nobz, and a Wartrakk
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 02:09:03 pm
Yes! I've already found difficulties because of the different editions, colour schemes and conversations. Thinks for the links, I will peruse.. :)

Tweaked the bolter a bit, and a few other bits on the marine. Added first attempt at terminator and a gene stealer. Had to start consolodating palette a bit to add a yellow and a purple without going past 16 colours. :)

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 02:26:37 pm
Remember Terminators are a lot larger than regular space marines and use single handed boltguns. I'd say the geneastealer's shoulder wideness and stance would fit him a bit better.

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 02:31:53 pm
Ah, didn't know that. I like the design in Warhammer, but I'm not a player of the game. :)