AuthorTopic: Beach 'Bots Challenge WIP  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Beach 'Bots Challenge WIP

on: December 01, 2009, 02:13:55 am
Thought I should probably come here for help rather than trying to stumble through it myself  :D

I need help primarily with the HUD, it's in no particular place or composition at this time. The beer bottle I'm currently thinking about being the equivalent of a health bar, the little 6-pack a health pack.

(Help with everything else is certainly still welcome :) )

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Beach 'Bots Challenge WIP

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 04:08:56 am
Hi Jeremy. Very Bender from Futurama at the moment. Intentional? It's so similar people could mistaken the character for him. I say differentiate it more.

Your HUD is suffering in readability. The bars you have in the top left of your image are all about readability, but your bottles have been taken over by rendering. I say keep the concept of the bottle, but treat it much more like the bars; emphasise the readability. Also the white outlines on black create chaos for the eyes, I say drop it.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:50:47 am
Thanks for the crits, will definitely keep in mind.

I've got an update; with animation frames mapped out. I also managed to make the HUD both bigger and more compressed  :crazy:

I've also never really done any tiles to speak of, certainly not for a platformer, and would love to hear anyone's thoughts on them and everything else.

I've now changed the bottle to be more like a coin/points collector meter, meaning that level of beer is less vital (In my mind at least :D ). it was originally as you said. The little blue thing's a battery, which rotates to show a red plus to make it being a health pack really clear :)   (I figure that in stead of a health bar there's just a lives counter, like the older arcade-style games)

Going the complete other way is the second character, the challenge is for a PSP game (with half screen size.)

Finally, I'm really not sure what to do with the backmost dunes, I don't want them to be overpowering but they're a bit plain.

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 02:57:06 pm
I think that your biggest problem is the fact that your characters look like they are on different layers from eachover, the idea that having the characters/objects seperated from the background is right but they should have similar contrast, especially the middle one is really lost compared to the left most one. I agree that the white outlines on the HUD are a bad idea and think that the black is far to dominating.