AuthorTopic: [WIP] Steampunk Ship: C&C  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Piscecarian

• View Profile

[WIP] Steampunk Ship: C&C

on: November 30, 2009, 02:06:19 pm
Hello hello!!! I am new to pixel art and WoTP, this is my first ever post. Anyways, I'd like to make a long story short, I don't do pixel art, I'm mostly into traditional work, but I've been getting into it ever since I first began learning iso from a friend. Now I can say that while I've worked with pixels, I've never worked with isometric view before and I've gotta say: it's harrrrd. Well since this is my first piece (and I hope I've followed the isometric rule accordingly.) I wanted to ask, with such a huge piece, where should I start? Since it's for a game, should it be cut up into parts and placed back together? I am asking too many questions at once. But anyways, I'd appreciate comment and critique, please make it easy for me to understand since math and angles and color codes, specifics, might go over my head. Anyways. Here is the first, and the colored piece. *wishes self luck!*

Note: I drew it out first, scanned it, then changed it to blue in photoshop, opening it in mspaint I inked over it in pixels and changed it to isometric, saved it as monochrome to get rid of the blue and then from there proceeded to fill in colors and work. I used photoshop to make a full colored picture of it first, to see what pallette I wanted to use, since unlike a lot of isometric artists, I can't just draw everything (shapes, objects etc) into iso, I literally have to draw it and then convert it to an isometric object via inking the blueprints over in ms paint. If my method seems brow raising, sorry. I have to learn to get used to making shapes with pixels in mspaint or another simular program I guess.  :)

pencils -

inks -

coloring wip -

I don't like the doors so much...they don't have the look of...window panes to me, and I can't think of a color that would look natural. I was thinking like tinted windows almost, but wanting a chocolate color. Anyways. Please do comment away!  :lol:

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Re: [WIP] Steampunk Ship: C&C

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:49:37 pm
Only thing I have to say is it's huge!  Taking on something like this is going to be very difficult, but once it's finished it will probably be pretty epic.
Seems good so far, I have to agree that the doors don't look like doors.  Keep up the great work!

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:36:09 pm

Just a very quick edit I did to the cockpit thing. I think using two glass colours, especially a red one for the top makes it look more like a ship's bridge, if you know what I mean. The current blue tones makes it look somewhat like a wooden cage instead. A different colour reinforces the idea of a "roof". Besides the combination of wine red and dark blue is very harmonious. Somewhat reminds of me of SWep1's Otoh Gunga underwater city.

As for a few other suggestions, try to make certain inner machinery parts a bit more heavy, geary and angular rather than smooth and modern tech-like. Think pipe organ tubes. Add some gargoyles or figureheads too for a more classic effect. Also don't be affraid of more bizarre elements.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 10:45:12 pm by Monochrome »
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:13:51 am
What is it exactly? The outline itself is confusing, and the lack of any shading does not help.

The whole thing looks a bit surreal. The structure has no consistency and none of the parts line up with each other. Much of the design is ambiguous and seems to deviate in perspective in some parts.

It looks to me like you dove straight into the fine detail without getting any basic shapes down first.

This is an art critique, not a pixel critique, but I think it's valid because when people post something like this they don't get much help because noone can figure out what it is or what it should look like.

Take the shiny parts on the top right for instance. They look like metal pipe's to me, but I really can't be sure and there seems to be a tangled mess in the center for some reason. I can't tell if the pipes farther to the right hang down more because of perspective, or if they are just longer.

My suggestion would be to break off a part of this picture ( something recognizable like the gazebo underneath ) and pixel that separately. You would likely get more help and it would take a lot less time to finish. Then when you did that, you could tackle the rest of this beast.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:15:27 am by EvilEye »

Offline Piscecarian

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 04:48:34 am
 :) Thanks so much everyone for the input, I greatly appreciate it! But I may draw it over...I thought maybe more gasslamp and clockwork would look better or actually more organic tbh. I am so excited I had had so much imput on the very first day! And Sorry Monochrome for putting your helpful reedit to waste, hun. :<

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:28:13 am
The best thing you could possibly do in this big case is get rid of the outlines and work more with areas than the lines itself, on metal, you could even turn them white, for lightsources (just theoretically)
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299