AuthorTopic: Mario & Luigi DS games  (Read 3581 times)

Offline Vercingetorix

• View Profile

Mario & Luigi DS games

on: November 29, 2009, 01:13:46 pm
Hi, i've been looking at the sprites in "Mario & Luigi: Partners in time" & "Mario & Luigi: Bowsers inside story"
lately and i was just wondering if anyone knew or could make a good guess as too how they were made. Alot of it looks like resized artwork to my untrained eyes (particularly the backgrounds) but then at other times the pixelling looks quite precise.
It's not a big deal or anything i was just wondering what other people thought -  i swear some of the stuff in later castlevania titles looks resized too but there isn't really alot online of their backgrounds to examine.

Here's a link to the stuff on spriters resource:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/marioluigipartners/

http://www.spriters-resource.com/ds/marioandluigi3/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:15:26 pm by Vercingetorix »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Mario & Luigi DS games

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:08:52 pm
To me the sprites look pixelled and the backgrounds painted in some digital package (PS or Painter).

That said I never got what's with the gray outside aa on the sprites in the MnL games, it looks bleh to me. Otherwise I think the art in these games is rather solid.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Vercingetorix

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:46:04 pm
I had a suspiscion that was probably the case, I only came across the game while on spriters resource and the arts really nice to look at it it kinda makes me wanna see it in motion and get one of the the games.

Curious, if i wanted to experiment with a similar method for some backgrounds do you suppose i should paint the art at actual size, 2 x actual sze or even larger then scale it down?  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 08:48:39 pm by Vercingetorix »

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:22:08 pm
I really like the animation from these games, especially Bowser's inside story had some really nice stuff. Luigi's animations always make me laugh.

Looking at the backgrounds they look to me like they were done at a larger size and just shrunken. I'm pretty sure the GBA game used pixelled backgrounds though. I think that's how I would do it also if you plan on going that route. 2x or even 3x depending on what feels more comfortable. Usually if I do something like this I do it at x2. After shrinking them it looks like they might have gone in and touched up some areas with pixel precision to keep things sharp.

Also if you want to look at the Castlevania maps checkout The Videogame Atlas The only map they don't seem to have is Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:25:09 pm by Jakten »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:19:21 am
To me the sprites look pixelled and the backgrounds painted in some digital package (PS or Painter).

That said I never got what's with the gray outside aa on the sprites in the MnL games, it looks bleh to me. Otherwise I think the art in these games is rather solid.

Maybe rendered 24 bit PNGs?

btw who do you think made this:

... :crazy:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:23:52 am by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299