AuthorTopic: [WIP] help with sprite - space marine terminator  (Read 36278 times)

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] help with sprite - space marine terminator

Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 10:29:31 pm
I think the red needs to be more muted to fit into that scene. As it is now, it burns a hole through the plane.

The scene I used is just a test scene. It's not supposed to fit in therms of pallete or illumination. Just in therms of proportion, smoothness and style.
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: December 19, 2009, 03:37:32 pm

Early attempt at leg animation. Head, and body movement will come later. Ideally the cycle should be a bit slower, but for that I require more frames to make it look smoother. The plan is to make his movement look really heavy yet not clumsy. Like if every step taken made the ground shook. The terminator is about brute strenght and raw firepower and that's the feeling I'm planning to transmit here.

Any ideas/suggestions/improvements?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 06:09:15 pm by Monochrome »
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: December 19, 2009, 04:44:18 pm
I'd say you could have the body move down one pixel for the frame where the weight comes down on the leading leg.
Also probably need to move the arms / shoulders a little.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: December 19, 2009, 05:46:21 pm
Have him tilt to the side of the front leg.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #54 on: December 19, 2009, 11:28:38 pm
Don't animate a few body parts at a time, animate the whole thing at once. You can't animate legs when you're not sure yet how the rest will fit in.

Also, never design a walk without a head bob. Exagerate it for robots (or space suits or whatever).

Here's an edit on the walk (+AA on the insignia, it was bothering me for weeks now)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:03:27 am by Gil »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 02:24:53 am
...and from there it's very easy to make just a couple of frames of tweens to even it out

Though personally I would suggest you go ahead and make shoulder movement too.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #56 on: December 20, 2009, 04:50:00 am
Haha, that's funny Helm, I had almost the exact same tweens ready, but decided not to post them because it would take the edit too far :)

Mine had the gun stationary, because I figured that a high-powered exoskeleton made for battle would be at least capable of keeping the gun level. I agree about the shoulder movement btw.

It should be noted that both Helm's and my edit are animating too fast to be a believable walk animation and too chunky to be a run animation.

Walk vs Run

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: December 20, 2009, 01:22:41 pm
It should be noted that both Helm's and my edit are animating too fast to be a believable walk animation and too chunky to be a run animation.

Walk vs Run

Noted. Probably I'll have to add even more tweens to make the walking smoother at a slower speed. Again, thanks for the help and the free tweens. It's looking better and better all the time.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:06:02 pm by Monochrome »

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: December 20, 2009, 03:58:10 pm
Haha, nice job Gil. Very terminator, and I think it fits nicely with the sprite.