AuthorTopic: [WIP] help with sprite - space marine terminator  (Read 36281 times)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] help with sprite - space marine terminator

Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 04:16:14 pm

Edit of an edit.
Try to use highlights to your advantage, Monochrome.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:42:38 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 04:19:58 pm
I did only attempt the head.. ;)

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 04:27:23 pm
I know, I know... was talking to Monochrome. :P

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 06:21:03 pm
Here's my latest version. After a few more hours in front of MSpaint I decided to follow Kclic's model which I altered extensively to suit the current colour scheme. As for all of your highlight/reflection suggestions, fear not, for they have not been ignored! It's just that I've been struggling a lot to get the helmet just right. I can't believe I spent almost all the afternoon thinkering with just a handful of pixels. and I would've spent more if it wasn't for your support. Once again, thank you all.

Now for the answers:
Being an idiot, I DID try to cram too much details in there (albeit with a larger 'face' as it seemed larger in some reference pictures I looked at).. Anyway, too much detail really:

While it's excessively big the effect is actually quite amusing; almost bobble-head like. If i was aiming for a more stylized look I would certainly do something like this.

Edit of an edit.
Try to use highlights to your advantage, Monochrome.

This just gave me a nostalgia rush. Very creative reedition, although it looks more like a robot than an armor. Those highlights are strikingly similar to style generally used by the bitmap bros on Z (Zed). Perchance you played it before? Also great work on those shadows.

*EDIT* slight update. reduced pauldron size, rearranged shoulder distance, and retouched the headplate casing.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:42:33 pm by Monochrome »
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 07:16:07 pm
Thank you, and no, I've never played that game... but I did read a tutorial on highlights by Helm, who said he had studied the Bitmap Bros' artwork, or something to that effect.

I always tend to make my artwork look robotic, for some reason. Just happens by accident.

I forgot to mention, I added in a lot of grey into the armor because there's too much red! You can't tell one detail from the other.
Greater contrast could also help with this.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 07:19:08 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 07:28:36 pm
Thank you, and no, I've never played that game... but I did read a tutorial on highlights by Helm, who said he had studied the Bitmap Bros' artwork, or something to that effect.

Would you mind linking me to it?

I always tend to make my artwork look robotic, for some reason. Just happens by accident.

On 2D artwork robot is usually a synonim of good.

I forgot to mention, I added in a lot of grey into the armor because there's too much red! You can't tell one detail from the other.
Greater contrast could also help with this.

That's because I'm attempting to recreate the original Blood Angels
armor design from Space Hulk before I create a colour scheme of my own. Of course it'll look less dull when I start adding the armor details and engravings.
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 07:35:40 pm

Would you mind linking me to it?
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1025.msg12272#msg12272

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 09:36:52 pm

Added reflections and redesigned gun according to Kclic and CrazyMLC's models with a few changes of my own (sorry if it seems like copying, but like I said, this is my first sprite so far). Aiming for more of a ceramic glow reflection. Any suggestions? Also anyone knows how can I add a bit more of a highlight on the left pauldron without making the insignia smaller? A simple white dot adds excessive glow.

Still need to work on the hands and arms aswell.

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 04:48:33 am
Oh sweet!

I actually really like happymonster's take. The characterisation is really apparent, very expressive (even though its just a helmet!).

You have 37 colours in this sprite, which is really holding you back from tightening it up. Its biggest issue at the moment is a lack of contrast. It basically reads as this blob of super saturated red. I got it down to 14 colours. Could probably even get it down to less.

Jad has the right idea. Focus on the MAJOR planes of the helmet, rather than lines, edges or anything else.

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 01:35:49 pm
Oh sweet!

I actually really like happymonster's take. The characterisation is really apparent, very expressive (even though its just a helmet!).

You have 37 colours in this sprite, which is really holding you back from tightening it up. Its biggest issue at the moment is a lack of contrast. It basically reads as this blob of super saturated red. I got it down to 14 colours. Could probably even get it down to less.

Jad has the right idea. Focus on the MAJOR planes of the helmet, rather than lines, edges or anything else.

This looks great! I'll proceed to reestrcture the pallete ASAP!. And indeed I must admit you're right, it lacks a lot of contrast and reads a lot like a red blob from a distance. As for the helmet, I think I nailed the right shape and level of detail on my previous take, while yours looks quite good aswell. I'm still open to any other suggestions regarding both helmets, details and colouring.

And once again, thanks for all the help so far.

Friederich Nietzsche