AuthorTopic: [WIP] help with sprite - space marine terminator  (Read 36284 times)

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

[WIP] help with sprite - space marine terminator

on: November 28, 2009, 04:30:47 pm
I decided to give a shot at sprite creation meself since I've failed to get any help with this thread so far. Keep in mind this is my first attempt at sprite creation, so be gentle.

The perspective is somewhat weird, I know, but it's meant to be that way since it's inspired by the classic Bitmap Bros look on games like Chaos Engine and Speedball, so it's actually meant to be used as a game sprite on a similar perspective. However I've been having a problem so far. The helmet. I've been using a placeholder head while I created the rest of the body, so I had no idea  it would be so hard. While there are plenty of references I just can't seem to be able to create the intricate shapes of the terminator helmet with so few pixels and make it look like the real thing. Could you guys help me? Also any other feedback/critics would be useful aswell, just keep in mind that aside of the helmet there's some stuff left that's quite unpolished right now, namely the gun and the pauldrons.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:35:38 pm by Monochrome »
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: [WIP] help with sprite - space marine terminator

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:44:22 pm
Hm, I made an edit, only to realize that you're right: It is freakinngly hard to cram all those helmet details in.
Still showing my edit, even though I think it's not quite there yet:

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:59:17 pm
After a few more hours I think I've actually managed to create a pretty decent version.

I still would like to see yours though.
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 08:42:57 pm
You will want to cram all of the important GEOMETRICAL PLANES in there to the highest extent and more or less just don't give a damn about the details, I think.

Piece suffers from low contrast, get some vibrant highlights in there.

For a beginner you're awesome at this. Actually you're just very solid at this, beginner or not. Kudos.
' _ '

Offline tylerjhutchison

• View Profile
    • tylersaurus.com

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:51:32 pm
Well here is a try for me...  I could not resist some Warhammer 40k pixel art.  Did anyone else play Chaos Gate?  I loved that game.

I used the image here http://www.critical-hits.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/sm-terminator-squad.gif as my reference for the terminator face.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:20:27 pm
Oh boy! This looks like it'd be right up my alley. The really important thing with such a little sprite is readability — not detail. Instead of finding all of the little contours and intricacies, focus on the basic shapes and angles of the helmet. Once you have those, the details will come easily. Just remember that not all of the details will fit, and trying to cram them in will only hurt the readability by taking the focus away from the more defining characteristics.

This is my try at making the helmet. The right is what I started with, and the left is what I ended up with. Hopefully I helped a little!

EDIT: I just noticed Jad's post and how I pretty much reiterated what he said, so yeah.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:24:34 pm by Kcilc »

Offline Stratto

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:36:52 pm
Here's my take at this:

it's not the best, but still pretty decent. I a little tip: dont be afraid to make it a little bigger than if needed, and as everyone already stated, dont think about details, but readabilty.
i suggest also working on shadows and highlights on the armor, as they look pretty bland right now.

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 01:57:19 am
You will want to cram all of the important GEOMETRICAL PLANES in there to the highest extent and more or less just don't give a damn about the details, I think.

I agree. That's what i've been trying to do to begin with. But yeah certain shapes are quite had.

Piece suffers from low contrast, get some vibrant highlights in there.

Again I'm forced to agree, but given the game environment will actually be dark and poor illuminated wouldn't it create too much of a contrast? Perhaps i should use softer reflections instead.

For a beginner you're awesome at this. Actually you're just very solid at this, beginner or not. Kudos.

Gee thanks, I'm actually amazed how nice most folks seem to be around here. I'm mostly used to 3d modelling communities where people usually are a lot more rude and less helpful.

Well here is a try for me...  I could not resist some Warhammer 40k pixel art.  Did anyone else play Chaos Gate?  I loved that game.

This one is great. You mind if I actually use that one? I'll give you the propper credit of course. Also I've never played Chaos Gate though I really wanted to (doesnt work on xp). I am however, an avid X-Com player.

This is my try at making the helmet. The right is what I started with, and the left is what I ended up with. Hopefully I helped a little!

I love the extra work on those reflections while they're a bit too bright methinks. I'll keep 'em as a reference when i'll add the finishing touches.

Here's my take at this:

it's not the best, but still pretty decent. I a little tip: dont be afraid to make it a little bigger than if needed, and as everyone already stated, dont think about details, but readabilty.
i suggest also working on shadows and highlights on the armor, as they look pretty bland right now.

Looks good but a bit too small. Actually reminded of the regular space marine helmet, instead of the terminator one.

And sorry for the huge reply, but i felt i had to reply to everyone who helped. Once again, thanks a lot. Still have 8 more directions to go. It's gonna be a long way 'till i get some decent animations out of it.

Friederich Nietzsche

Offline tylerjhutchison

• View Profile
    • tylersaurus.com

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:28 am

This one is great. You mind if I actually use that one? I'll give you the propper credit of course. Also I've never played Chaos Gate though I really wanted to (doesnt work on xp). I am however, an avid X-Com player.

Sure, have at it!  It could probably still use a bit of tweaking, but feel free to take it as is or edit it all you like.  One thing you will notice is that the face is actually pretty much looking at you straight on and not a top down angle...  This was quick and dirty for making it recognizable, but shifting the eyes down a bit and adding some shadows near the "back" part of the helmet where it is meeting up with the suit might help give it a more top down look.

I am not actually sure if Chaos Gate was a very good game... but when I was like 13 my best friend and I spent endless hours playing it.  Also we spent a good amount of time playing Ultima Online... those were the glory days for having no responsibility and  nothing better to do with my time.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:54:46 pm
Being an idiot, I DID try to cram too much details in there (albeit with a larger 'face' as it seemed larger in some reference pictures I looked at).. Anyway, too much detail really: