AuthorTopic: Iso tiles(wip)  (Read 16135 times)

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Re: Iso tiles(wip)

Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 01:10:42 am
Thanks for the comments/critics.

I tried to fix the cliffs, I also noticed they donīt  looked very "isometric". And also that annoying gab should now less obvious,
although I need some kind of border as I using these tiles also on the left/right edges.
Introduced a second "lightsource" and played a bit around with the palette.
Oh yeah, just in case not everyone noticed, I using two tile layers for this. Basically what ptoing described. ;)

@zoggles
Yes I know that most people(just looking on PJ) use the method you described, but I just thought using rectangular tiles was more difficult and I like a challenge. But I see that your approach have some advantages.
Your point about the slope angle is true, I also noticed that a flat horizontal line could be a bit confusing. I wonīt change it in that piece here, but I will remember it for later.
Thanks for your explanation :y:

@Monochrome
Yes, just for experimenting.

-
Next update will feature more stuff(trees, flowers, some other grass texture, maybe water ::)).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:54:32 am by vierbit »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 04:27:26 am
Looks awesome especially with the blue shadows. What really impresses me is the small color count.

When grazing across the scene one of the rocks sticks out as an eyesore. I did a quick edit to show you.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 05:04:27 am
I agree with EvilEye. The rock's perspective isn't paricularly wrong, but it suggests a non-isometric shape, which can be a problem if it's a recurring tile.

Also, I like the new colors, but the amount of blue in the green and the flat texture made it look like water on first glance, like the rocks are coming out of a swamp. I'd go with the new colors only if you're going to add at least some sort of detail or extra vegetation.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 04:37:04 pm
This is just personal opinion, but the blue doesn't look all that great, I'd lean towards more of a yellow or red.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 04:43:11 pm
they're perfect for a congo-bongo remake ^_^
* PypeBros saving as reference for future work ...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 05:36:59 pm
Hmm, I was a much bigger fan of the original colors and design. The colors stood out more, the grass looked much more healthier, and the rocks looked creative and natural at the same time, and it all seemed to work together in a great way.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #16 on: December 02, 2009, 04:14:25 am
Thanks for the comments/critics.

I tried to fix the cliffs, I also noticed they donīt  looked very "isometric". And also that annoying gab should now less obvious,
although I need some kind of border as I using these tiles also on the left/right edges.
Introduced a second "lightsource" and played a bit around with the palette.
Oh yeah, just in case not everyone noticed, I using two tile layers for this. Basically what ptoing described. ;)

@zoggles
Yes I know that most people(just looking on PJ) use the method you described, but I just thought using rectangular tiles was more difficult and I like a challenge. But I see that your approach have some advantages.
Your point about the slope angle is true, I also noticed that a flat horizontal line could be a bit confusing. I wonīt change it in that piece here, but I will remember it for later.
Thanks for your explanation :y:

@Monochrome
Yes, just for experimenting.

-
Next update will feature more stuff(trees, flowers, some other grass texture, maybe water ::)).

I have to agree definitely looks like murky waters or blue grass.  Perhaps bring the blue in the green down a notch or two. 

Also these are awesome!

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2009, 06:12:17 am
Did a bit of an edit:

I think the big thing that's confusing the readability of it is your liberal use of edge-highlighting. I say just pick a spot for the main light source and leave the rimming for the edges facing it. Some of the rocks even look glassy with what you have at the moment.

Tinted shadows with blue.

Added some (pretty lame) mild grass detailing. It's kind of what I was thinking when I mentioned the Zelda 3 idea.

It's interesting what you've done in your latest version. The blue ambient light is moody, and works well on the grass, but ultimately I think it just exacerbates the over-rimming problem.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 10:08:49 am
Agree with Eyecraft.

The feeling of light in your 2 versions comes from shadows, not highlights; and the blue highlights of the 2nd version don't say secondary light source at all. They just say nice blue color for it's own sake, which is something already ;)

Eyecraft's edit does say main light + blue sky as secondary source, though the highlight saturation being higher than the rocks' confuses it a bit.

However, I love the colors in both versions, can't really say which one best. I love all of it in fact.

Offline Triple

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 03:18:51 am
Would you mind me asking what method you used to creating it? Like did you make a isometric grid and pixel it from that or did you pixel it straight on a white bkg and after the split the tiles up?

I'm new to iso, that's the reason for me asking.
My pixeled 2D MMORPG: https://discord.gg/TmHHJkG