AuthorTopic: [WIP] Autokill  (Read 3717 times)

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

[WIP] Autokill

on: November 25, 2009, 07:09:07 pm
I'm helping out a friend of mine is practicing Flash and is making a game as an incentive to learn stuff. He laid down some base graphs before I jumped in. In the game you're driving a car that's picking up speed constantly, and the only way to slow down is to run over people while dodging incoming trucks. I'll post a link to the playable Flash game in a bit.

Here's the intro screen. Still WIP. Any suggestions for improvement?

Here's an explosion that I did, ignore the rest of the ingame graphs, they're old.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Autokill

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:51 pm
Right now explosion goes explowhiteball->rising ball-> dissolve

I want it to go explowhiteball->EXPLOSION OUTWARD with particles and or action lines moving outwards from the center of the explosion -> explosion cloud forms rising ball -> dissolve

what you've got right now just feels a bit lame.
' _ '

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 05:38:07 pm

I want it to go explowhiteball->EXPLOSION OUTWARD with particles and or action lines moving outwards from the center of the explosion -> explosion cloud forms rising ball -> dissolve

Particles with a mushroom cloud? Are you sure about that? Anyway, the Chaos Engine mushroom cloud explosion was what I based this one on.

Here's a link to the WIP version of the game. The graphics aside, it still has a lot of unresolved issues (which my friend is hopefully still motivated enough to work on), like the scrolling that's not smooth at all (anyone got an idea what should be done?) and a very unpredictable behaviour on different browsers. If you're still alive after a minute then.. it's not meant to be that slow.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 10:14:15 pm

Particles with a mushroom cloud? Are you sure about that?

I agree with Jad.

It seems to me that your explosion is lacking one very important detail; the actual explosion. What I see when I watch closely is circular shockwave and a mushroom/plume cloud that you seem to be treating as the actual explosion -- I suggest creating an explosion where the car is (leave the shockwave in there with it for a nice effect), and then having that explosion dissolve into a rising plume of smoke.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 06:29:19 am
When there's a lot of scrolling involved (and not scaling/rotating), switch on "use runtime bitmap caching" in the properties window. This way the graphics don't need to be reloaded every time they're drawn. Should make the game a lot smoother.