AuthorTopic: Sprite Sheet: In Progress  (Read 6540 times)

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Sprite Sheet: In Progress

on: November 25, 2009, 02:45:20 am
I've started work on some sprites for a pirate ninja game. Please crit and edit away!

(I am aware that his legs are longer in some frames than others, will fix shortly)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Sprite Sheet: In Progress

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 11:43:32 am
Urr err durr derr no

no crits. Only make more. I think you're on the right track what with the larger emphasis on the backwards kick rather than the forward kick of the run ..

hmmza.

might wanna tweak the way the foot travels forward, it's a bit uneven. It travels at a certain speed and then it shoots forward an extra amount when it's fully extended - make that part smoother.

But if you want more crits than this then start fleshing it out ' 3 '

.. no wait, give him some crotch, look at where the lower thigh of his light blue leg connects to the pelvis, it's unnatural, there's space between the legs, draw that space.

Also think about reworking the way he holds his knives, I didn't even see they were knives.

hahah : D

Anyways I wanna see this more fleshed out so I can crit it more gogogo
' _ '

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:18:24 pm
Got'm fleshed out for you:

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:55:21 pm
I'm sorry that I can't illustrate what I mean by this but I'd try getting rid of the outline, because without the outline, you have a full width of 1 pixel on all sides to add more definition to the various muscle masses. The outline as it is, in my opinion, does not add much to the overall readability.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 12:04:28 am
Not very happy with it at all, but meh.

I'll fix it soon.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:32:46 am
He seems kind of over-bulky for a ninja. I tend to think of ninjas as lithe and nimble. Feels like bulk would kind of slow him down. It also doesn't really come across as a very "ninja-ish" sort of run. You could get a lot more characterisation by giving him perhaps a lower, more carefully silent run, like he's trying to remain stealth. The outfit also seems kind of strange; it looks like he's at the beach or something. Unless this is just a kind of base or something?

But addressing the animation as it is, I think you should really block in the entire figure's motion first, and then work on the rendering. The lack of arms kind of throws off any solid idea of how the torso should be moving. I get a feeling like the torso isn't twisting enough, but I find it difficult to tell.

The way the legs snap forward just before contact with the ground (frame 1 to frame 2) doesn't work well, I think. It's giving the motion a very unnatural kind of flick, like he's trying as hard as he can to kick his leg out infront of him, and then smacking his heel into the ground.

There's a volume distortion in the legs when they reach fully behind him. They stretch out for a moment, so it loses any sense of the mechanics of it swinging from the knee.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 04:00:24 am
Not very happy with it at all, but meh.

I'll fix it soon.

You really gotta be aware of the spacing when working on runs/walks(well anything really) You need to get that sweet pendulum movement down. The legs and arms need to follow an arc for maximum smoothness.  Also the bouncing up and down should follow a sine wave like pattern.  There's a post around here from this guy and he shows you how to properly attain the pendulum and sine wave movement for a walk.  It's very detailed and features popeye.  (I can't remember his name though)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:15:34 am by Mike »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 12:38:12 pm
I like the legs, they are crazy dynamic. The problem is that the torso is totally static. The legs wont work unless the shoulders are moving against the legs, and the pelvis is moving with the legs, and the torso is rotating and such. Just don't be lazy with it, based on the fleshed out guy standing still, it could look quite fly.

Offline Vampire Elf

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:50:55 pm
I think you could get away with the shoulders/arms moving while leaving the torso static, it all comes down to how it looks animated though and I could be wrong.
ATM though, I'm thinking the arm would cover alot of the torso anyway.

Offline Splode

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 03:24:23 am
As mentioned earlier, the biggest issue with the running animation is that his legs are stuck to each other:
There is no pelvis, no crotch, nothing. Add that in (and remember it's movement will have to be animated too) and your animation should look fine.
Your issues with the Torso should be solved by adding in that pelvis!
Current WIP: