AuthorTopic: [WIP] Purple Alien (omg, with gun ?!)  (Read 3375 times)

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

[WIP] Purple Alien (omg, with gun ?!)

on: November 23, 2009, 09:58:53 pm
Hi again guys ! :crazy:

I'm still making stuff for the curently running TIGSouce's Assemblee Compo. ;D

Nooks made some amazing work with a tiny blue bird.
Here's some of his work.

He told me he used the original (?) NES color palette for this work.
So, as his tiny bird still didn't have any enemies (he's surely making some, of course, but I stille wanted to do it :D) I decided to try to make one in the same spirit of his work.

Here's what I've done for now.

I have some troubles making a gun for my little buddy. I wanted to do one like the AppZapper application's icon, I think it's "not that bad" for a first try.

What do you think ?

Thank you very much in advance for your interest. :)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] Purple Alien (omg, with gun ?!)

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 12:41:25 am
Seems like you're matching the style pretty well. Be aware, though, that sharing colours that the main character uses (the blue and yellow) changes the visual priority of the bird for the player's eyes a little. Maybe pick some other colours for your sprite, like greens or something like that.

Also check out how Nooks did the gun on his. It has a good outline to keep it defined and popped against any background.

Using NES palette, use the brighter colours for sprites, because its likely the darker ones will be used for backgrounds, and you need your sprites to stick out. Also, try being very strict with your colour usage when working with NES. I know the bird doesn't follow NES restrictions, but its pretty close. Try to recycle your colours as much as possible. For instance, the black and grey are completely unnecessary. You can use one colour for the eyes and all the outlines, and another can be used on the gun, the head, and the body.

Offline CCPC Speaker

• Boooooooh !
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Purple Alien (omg, with gun ?!)

Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:02:50 am
Thanks for the advice and the exemple, this is awesome.

I'll try to make it my way, maybe later this evening or in 2days.