AuthorTopic: Jigsaw Puzzle Topiaries  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Nefarious

• View Profile

Jigsaw Puzzle Topiaries

on: November 18, 2009, 07:49:35 am
Hi folks, im still fairly new around here but i've been admiring the artwork from this side of the interwebs for some time. I've been working on an rpg set for a while (im not particularly proud of it yet) but i've been making decent strides.  Anways, I've been working on these trees for a bit, the first one was in the works for a while, but the smaller of the two was made tonite in about 1/2 hr. Looking for comments/critiues as to the lighting/shadows.  I've been following the progress of  [WIPs] Tree / forest / canopy studies, and I have to say thank you for all the usefull info i've retained trolling that article.

Thanks,

Justin.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:23:09 am by Nefarious »

Offline Nefarious

• View Profile

Re: First Tree

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:54:07 am
Ok 322 views 2 weeks and no crits, time to post my updates.  I know you guys are getting tired of these random tree threads, but it could be worse.  I could be posting lil' naked dudes!  I have been at this for a bit, and I have no intention of giving up anytime soon.  So any advice would be great.  Yes i've trolled all of the other tree threads, but sometimes we all need a little one on one :)

Atm I think the second one down, topleft side is closest to registering as a tree, i'm going to try adding some extra contrast to the bottem, please ignore the trunks.  I was just using them to define the perspective.

Updates:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:56:42 am by Nefarious »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle Topiaries

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 11:39:17 am
You need more value shifting on a large scale - right now your values are only used to define texture/detail, you need a larger sense of form too, think about the BIG leaf ball and where light would hit it as such, then combine it with the texturing. It's hard but you'll figure it out.

Don't use all of your shades everywhere. Also don't make your tree look like a green mass with big dark lines through it. the upper 'good' tree (with the green check mark) looks very iffy to me, the one below it is myck more on the right track.

Just go go go, I like your tree. I love trees. I don't mind that everyone is making a tree right now! : D

... I wanna make trees too.
' _ '