AuthorTopic: harmonious world  (Read 30872 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: harmonious world

Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 10:33:00 pm
Actually with mike's edit I realize it's not the clothes that make me really not like the character but it's the face. Or lack of face. Because of lack of haircut.  Seriously someone who can afford those hip pre torn jeans should be able to afford a haircut! Hair over an eye is one thing, a dome of hair over the entire head is just hilarious in a bad way, which is really ruining the likability of the character. I mean, it's not my place to crit the subject matter, just the art, but I wouldn't play a game with this character.

Besides that, he needs a mouth?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #41 on: December 01, 2009, 04:21:35 am
I think its like a modified Castlevania style for the face to be featureless, but it doesn't work for this.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 05:19:45 am

it's true, infinitely more likeable  :hehe:

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 05:37:37 am
Lol, Helm.

EDIT
Lol, Tuna.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:59:09 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 01, 2009, 10:45:06 pm
ily helm

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 03:07:02 am
Just thought I'd add something that I was thinking about when I did my edit, and what I've noticed with other edits in this thread. This may or may not sound like a complete load of rubbish, but here goes  ;D

I read this article once about how Valve approached the readability of their characters in Team Fortress 2. They used contrast and brightness to push the viewers eye up to the chest and head of the characters. It's something that I've always kind of thought about with characters after reading it. Approaching them like mini compositions.

I've got 3 versions here, with kind of little swatches that (in my interperatation) summarise the value and contrast of particular sections of the sprites, and arrows indicating how these colours lead my eye around the subject.

I think CrazyMLC has done some very nice things with the legs in his 2 edits, particularly around the knees and thighs.

Basically, see how the shoes and shins are dim, and it moves up getting brighter and higher contrast until you hit the point you want the eye to settle at, then start getting dimmer again. Your version is the only one that does any good job of getting the eye to settle on the face, but the eye goes crazy across the rest of the sprite (my eyes do, anyway).

Regarding the issue of lack characterisation, I think its also his pose. Standing around with your hands in your pockets is just about as passive and ambient as you can get with a character. He seems to be communicating "hey, don't mind me, I'm just standing here," which doesn't really seem appropriate for a memorable character, let alone a main character.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:54:42 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 10:41:54 pm
Nice progress so far. :)

Not much in this edit that hasn't already been mentioned. I tried to simplify and get rid of jagged lines and near-black lines to clean and soften. Polish, polish, polish. ;D His glasses made it look a bit as if someone had just punched him in the face, so a bit more symmetry there would be nice, I think.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 11:09:18 pm

i dont know why i haven't posted this yet. anyhow, I really like that edit, I'll try and mess around a bit.
edit: seriously, why was everybody using the red one, that was by far my least favourite

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:17 pm
But purple instead? I guess those are shades he's got on, but I keep thinking they're huge bugged out eyes when I see them.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 01:17:31 am