AuthorTopic: harmonious world  (Read 30858 times)

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Re: harmonious world

Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 03:10:56 pm
also something i tossed together for fun to show how this guy's evolved over the years

To be brutally honest I think I liked the direction you were taking the character before; I liked the sonic-the-hedgehog-tribute hair and the clothing wasn't ridiculously iconic, but it was still pretty good. You've been taking him in a much more generic direction to the point where now he just looks like a generic post-punk scene kid. This design doesn't really communicate anything about the character except that he's a generic post-punk scene kid... it's becoming even less of a character and more of an archetype. Maybe that's what you want, doesn't seem like much fun to me though. I've seen you do some pretty imaginative stuff so I'm a bit curious as to why you're moving away from that and into the realm of the mundane.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 04:06:50 pm
"realistic" probably would be the key word here. Tuna, I am making conjections but you probably come from a megaman board....right? Spriters there start copying the proportions or style of a given megaman game, and when they gain some confidence tend to go out of that and into trying to be more of just a normal artist instead of just a megaman spriter. I say that because I did that when I moved from a megaman board to this place...Tuna reminds me of me in his animations =)

Seen that way he's more of moving from one cliche way of seeing the world to another...but atleast now he tries to stand on his own feet. I dont know if this is what you're doing tuna, I at that time tended to make the characters a fantasy version of myself with superpowers....dont do that, either make pixel self-portraits or make characters with  backstories and clothing/demeanors different from yours, that way you're not left in the generic aspect that Ben mentioned between stylizing him and making him a "regular" guy

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 11:50:57 pm
um. thats sort of creepy. anyhow, in some ways it is based off of me, mostly in appearance, but in general the character personality and backstory is different. The way the project is set up he's essentially the lone sane character in a realm of surreal wacky characters (including but not limited to an omnipotent clown, a walking zombie plague, a victorian era time lord, a girl who's punches explode every few hits, and one guy who's just batshit crazy) but he obviously has to kick ass or he would make a terrible beatemup character.
/shamelessexpositionandexcuses

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 03:39:13 am
well, i fixed a few problems (the main one being the jacket) and added the necessary frames

i think (hope) i'm done with this pose, so unless there's any last minute objection, I'm gonna move on to the little idle animations

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: November 26, 2009, 02:20:06 pm
The sweater and the shirt look like the same piece of clothing because they end at the same point, and this line that seems to separate   the legs and the body. I'd made the shirt or the sweater end lower down.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 02:29:13 pm
ooh, good call.

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: November 30, 2009, 05:11:52 pm
I agree with both Conceit and Ben - the new character design is sort of unremarkable in any way. Nothing about his clothe, nor about his hair or posture says "unique player character" - he might as well be a background NPC cloned several dozen times throughout the game. Even if you wanted to move in a more realistically-proportioned direction, you should've studied character designs of SNK and Arcsys fighting games, trying to infuse your creation with eye-catching flair rather than burning mediocrity... unless that's the idea: )
In a world of bizarre characters you don't want your main guy to be the boring one,  right?

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: November 30, 2009, 07:02:44 pm
um... kind of yeah. its like relatability, probably the same reason sol badguy and kyo kusanagi are some of the tamer characters in their respective series.
edit: i might play around with the design a bit to see if i can make it a little more iconic but not much will likely be changed

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #38 on: November 30, 2009, 07:32:13 pm
He might as well be achromatic with the way you have his colors desaturated so much.  I hope in your game the worlds he inhabits are extremely bright and colorful otherwise he is going to blend in like mad.  If not, might I suggest you give him one colorful element to his clothing.  A show piece if you will.  Maybe an orange jacket, or more colorful pants or something a long those lines.

Can we perhaps see what kind of background this character is going to be against?

Slight edit

I wish you luck with further animating this character.  You have your work cut out for you.  :P

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 07:38:15 pm
um. thats sort of creepy. anyhow, in some ways it is based off of me, mostly in appearance, but in general the character personality and backstory is different.
That is exactly what I was trying to get to. Of course it is creepy, I wouldn't accept that's what I was doing while I was doing it, but now I can look back and see how that was wrong.

Now I ask you, this guy has a different backstory and personality from yours....so why in the hell should he reasemble you at all? Character designing, is taking whatever background and information you have the character and representing it visually trough his clothes, gestures, build, and whatever means you have at your disposal. So it is bad character design to place your reasemblance on top of a character that does not share your backstory or personality.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:42:32 pm by Conceit »