AuthorTopic: harmonious world  (Read 30867 times)

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: harmonious world

Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 01:44:35 pm
Well then the answer is not to raise the head so much. I think maybe your exaggerating the movement you see in the mirror way too much, I would think from the amount of bend in his knees to begin with, his crotch would raise 1 or 2 pixels. The back straightening just doesn't make a ton of sense to me, maybe I just have no idea what movement you're trying to get.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 01:53:53 pm
Looking at it, I see what you mean.
He's just straightening his legs loosely and then kind making his joint point back a little.

One thing I think would make it look less awkward is if you had the feet move, like having the heels lift up a bit when the legs are straightened loosely.

Edit:

EDIT2:

I really feel that you need to take more advantage of your colors.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:28:49 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 02:17:28 pm

izzat better?
edit: no offense bro but that edit looks pretty weird. if you're going to remove some of the style, you pretty much have to get rid of all of it or it just looks out of place (the facelessness for example)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 02:19:00 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 04:33:20 pm

Quick edit.

The angle in which the feet are pointing freaked me out. When I stand, my feet tend to point...hm...  Maybe 45 - 90 degrees.

This is actually a bit hard to critique because as much as I want to help the the animating process, I don't understand what I'm animating and why. He's obviously doing a little bounce but... who does that? I made the bounce less bouncy in my edit, but I still think it'd be better to just have the guy stand still and maybe just animate him breathing.

Something else to keep in mind: The idea of adding subtle movement to the hair is nice, but it gives the illusion that there are gale-force winds. If this is for a game, the winds will change with the direction the character faces.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 05:01:03 pm
Yeah, emo cuz of the hair. Just a little.

Good point on the feet angle, rawsushi. Your stance looks more casual.

No hair highlightin'? The hair highlight could "move" across his hair like the wind is making little waves and the specular is riding the crest of each wave. Just a detail either way.

As for the usually awkward idle anim, why not break the typical breathing/twitching loop approach and make him do little some realistic movement every few seconds?, in the end creating an animation that's 30 seconds long with big pauses between movements, such as -
(think of a bored dude standing there waiting for someone) slightly switch stance a bit, shift weight to one leg and cross arms across chest, . . . wait wait wait . . . flip hair with hand . . . wait wait wait . . . check cell phone . . . wait wait wait . . . switch back to original stance, uncross arms back to pockets . . . LOOP.
Significantly more work but a significantly more life-like result.

I'm pretty sure this isn't for a game, it seems to get revised every 6 months.

hair highlight hair hlighlight highlight oif hair hairy highlits hariry highlioghts you need to hairily hairily highlight the sprite, thats right a a hairy highlight for the tuhna sprite, w/o it it's just not right, yet despite the absence of the hairy highlight I see youve finally graduated from your lite brite, plotting pegs breaking eggs, now you stand on kegs bobbing idly you slightly bend your legs .  thats what SHE said

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 11:02:56 pm
its sort of for a game. its still very much in the planning stages though so it gets revised a lot. anyhow, it's just a breathing anim. I do like how your edit looks rawushi. I think I'll try making the bounce more subtle before removing it altogether.
mathias- I'm not too big on the hair highlights (thats actually the second edit i've gotten with one), they aren't really there in real life and it's super distracting on this sprite. as for movements, as i said before I'm gonna slow this down but after that I was planning on having a few movements like that. namely knuckle cracking and pushing his hair back. all of that stuff would be cool but it seems like an awful lot for something that would rarely be seen.

aaaaaand what the hell

edit:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 12:32:47 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 11:54:41 am
supershortcrit

at one time in the animation his arm just goes SUBPIXELFLICKER downwards super fast, very distracting, make it smoooth
' _ '

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 01:48:59 pm
?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 02:08:47 pm
The timing on this is all weird. To bounce down like that he would actually have to force the downward movement.
The whole movement in this to me seems very unnatural and for the sake of movement. So far I think Rawsushi's edit is best and even that could probably be more subtle.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 02:22:46 pm
i think i can see what you mean but i'm not too sure on how to fix it