AuthorTopic: harmonious world  (Read 30856 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Re: harmonious world

Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 12:39:35 am
once i have it completely done I'm gonna slow it down (i had it like that on the third post but it got tedious as hell to edit). ill mess with it a bit, but one can only stare at his own crotch for so long

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 02:53:07 am
He's eyecraft.
Haha, I think this is the second time someone's called me Evil Eye... I think the first person was Mathias  :lol:

Addressed the points I made in my crit (as well as some of Helm's). Also found you've got a fair few jaggies throughout the outline. There's banding and stuff happening, I didn't get it all. You've got a few colours that could really be replaced with recycled colours. A lot of the darks. You could tweak a lot of your midtones to fulfill each others roles as well, get much more range and variety that way, especially with the highlights. I didn't really touch them, but it definitely something you could do.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 03:57:11 am
Evil Eye...
Arch nemisis?! >:D

I like how far its come, Tuna.
Lets see if I can give you an edit...

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 04:01:48 am
hehe, yeah I did. Trying to move too fast sometimes I guess . . .

Pretty cool, Tuna. Neat evolution progression, too. I do like the current version the most. Don't you hate it when others say a previous version outdoes the current? Luckily not the case here. Current shows an improvement in many areas.

I like that EYECRAFT (the one and only [not the other one]) edited in some hair highlight, like your previous purple shirt version - not so flat now, better balances detail density.

My biggest complaint is all the black. The black outlining. It seems to obscure areas that could be made more clear, since it's such a small sprite. Though the black outlines do give a nice illustrative/drawn style look, so I guess I'll call it a style choice. Kinda like the high saturation colors used for the under shirt - obviously out of place but I can't help appreciate them for the visual interest they lend.

The idle anim is a little odd. Once you slow it down it'll be better. The wind in the hair is a nice touch. Overall the vibe of the sprite, it's emotion, to me, is : confident apathetic emo kid, perhaps bored.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 04:27:41 am
eyecraft (almost slipped again there)- thanks, that helped a ton. even if you messed on a few details (though that's more my fault than yours)

Mathias- yes. i really do hate that. anyhow, there's no black in the sprite but i get your point. I'll try and fix that. anyway, you pretty much nailed the intended vibe, except emo but I'm guessing you just picked that up from the hair.
edit: s'more colour edits and outline messing
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 05:18:15 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 05:50:33 am
When I look at the animation as a whole, and ignore the detail, it certainly looks like the legs straightening is moving his torso up correctly. But what you're doing is stretching the back, instead of moving the pelvis up. What you need to do is move the crotch up all the pixels your stretching on the abdomen, and leave the torso the same shape, the only way the torso would decompress like that is if he was straightening his back, and even then it would effect the animation differently. The same stretching is happening on the arm, instead of the arm stretching, it would stay more or less static and the pocket would move up with his hand. The other effect of moving him like this is that it makes it look like his legs are shrinking.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 06:03:38 am
when i do the same motion in a mirror, my back stretches slightly (because there's a small slouch) then the torso moves up.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 06:19:41 am
I don't see more slouching when the back is shorter, it just looks like its stretching... Maybe mess around with the shading to make it look like there's more of a slouch?

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 06:30:48 am
When you straighten your legs though, your pelvis HAS to move up, it's basic geometry, it's really a matter of whether the increase in total height is caused more by the pelvis moving up, or the back straightening. And any more than a little amount of movement in the back seems like a lot of effort.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 01:30:30 pm
he's not exactly straightening his legs. I do an identical movement and my less barely raise at all. I'm not 100% sure why but that's what happens.