AuthorTopic: harmonious world  (Read 30862 times)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

harmonious world

on: November 22, 2009, 11:57:07 pm

old one can be found here
still not sure if i'm gonna go with the bigger or smaller one, or even which one would be easier to do.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: harmonious world

Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:41:11 am
It's looking a bit blotchy at the moment. There's little clear distinction between light and shadow. This is due to how you've evenly distributed patches of lighter tones and darker ones, and the liberal use of ultra-black inner linework.

If this is intended as a game sprite, your movement towards less saturated colours may affect its pop factor. I say less reliance on the outlines and more on a strong flow of form with clear light and shadow rendered in richer colours.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 01:45:23 pm
here's a bunch of small edits and a small animation

also its meant to be viewed at 2x which actually helps a lot, even with firefox blur. esp. the colours.
edit: also, thanks eyecraft. for some reason you're the first guy to actually crit this. everyone else has either said they love it or they like the old one better.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:55:51 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 03:36:22 pm
He's eyecraft.

Underlying anatomy problems are the same with your past work, I think. The color selection is interesting, but the pixelling leaves a lot to be desired. It looks unrefined, more than anything. I'd start by tightening the anatomy and the forms would follow, probably. His hips are as wide as his shoulders, are you sure you really want this? The arm is like spaghetti (remember that crit the BOB gave you?) the right shoulder is rounded like a beachball, this just doesn't happen. The neck is not in the middle of the shoulders. You put more effort into the legs and that shows, they're much better, but you really do have to hit the anatomy books, still.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 07:00:00 pm
i have no idea why i called him evileye. thats weird. anyway, next time i go to the library ill see of there's anything on anatomy, but i don't have a ton of extra cash lying around. here's a slightly updated version that i just didn't post but most of the problems are still there

ill keep working at it. fortunately i am starting to see the problems you're pointing out more than i would've, and I guess that shows some improvement.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:02:22 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 07:19:56 pm
Got a crit on the animation.

when he is straightening his legs the waistline does not rise, it should. Also his upper body stretches in a very nonsensical way.
I advise you to actually play out stuff like this before you animate it. If possible in front of a mirror.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 11:31:46 pm
actually i have a convenient full body mirror right next to my computer and i did use it, but to be honest I just forgot about the waistline altogether. anyhow i think i fixed all the issues pointed out so far

whoo, that took way less time than normal
edit: added some personal changes
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 11:52:22 pm by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 12:02:14 am
The hips still don't raise as the straightens the legs. The crotch would actually go up. You can not bend your knees and keep the crotch at the same height while you stand.
And I think he still accordions too much.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 12:20:01 am

ehhhh?
also something i tossed together for fun to show how this guy's evolved over the years
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:34:46 am by Tuna Unleashed »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 12:35:07 am
Still some accordion action going on. Also do this kinda movement with the jerky drop and I reckon it would hurt after a while. I would go for something more subtle.