AuthorTopic: harmonious world  (Read 31315 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: harmonious world

Reply #60 on: December 05, 2009, 02:15:34 am
Tuna bro, no need to whine. It doesn't fit your style, just analyze it, say 'thanks for the edit mang' and see if it's got anything useful for you to study.

You don't need to 'push it away' or whine about him changing the style. Edits don't have to be a realization of your own ideals made by others because frankly, that's impossible.

I mean like seriously if faces aren't orange just don't make an orange face. Don't whine at the guy's edit 'cause he's trying to convince you that faces are orange'. I mean he isn't.

I'm whining at your whining, I like this, it's a whine-party. Let's add some cheese to this quality whine.

cheese: you're getting far with this bro, (I love the word bro) I dig it generally. I don't think his hair swipe is working a lot, it needs more .. fluffiness. Right now he sweeps it out of his face and ZOOM it goes back, it's more realistic that way but also less readable. Making him swipe it the other way and make the wind blow it back is a good suggestion, but I dunno if you can be assed to redo everything, heh
' _ '

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: December 05, 2009, 05:40:04 am
i uhm... wasn't trying to whine, though retrospectively i can see it looking like that. and i have been studying and using parts of his edits. i really was just trying to explain why i haven't taken much from his edits. ANYHOW ill work on the hair

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: December 05, 2009, 09:57:18 am
Edit of Arachne's edit.. Lowered the face and increased the head size. Tried to keep the suggestion of large anime eyes with adding more of a face. There are a lot of colours with similar luminance in the palette which made shading harder then I expected.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: December 05, 2009, 02:02:39 pm
I do not think that the worn out knee on his left leg is in the right place given how the leg is rotated.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #64 on: December 05, 2009, 09:50:41 pm

I dont get why yo keep trying to use orange for the face; not only is it not a realistic skintone, it also matches the hair color exactly, leading to it looking like it's made out of chocolate.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: December 06, 2009, 01:10:31 am
Why does it have to be realistic?

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #66 on: December 06, 2009, 01:37:04 am
It doesn't -- you have the creative freedoms to do as you please, but based on Tuna's original intentions, it's not necessarily a step forward: even if it was to move away from realism, some representational qualities with the skin would take it a long way.

Oh, and just for the record, my main gripe about the skintone is that it matches the hair, which is passing up a great opportunity for some good complementaries or other colors that really build on each other. Maybe change the hair color then?

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: December 09, 2009, 02:42:09 am

meet professor civil

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: December 10, 2009, 11:16:28 pm

meet professor civil

I think it is wonderful except for the face; not only is it devoid of any distinct features, but the features I can see make it look like his head is in profile, while the ear and shading make his head seem to be in 3/4.

I loved how you overcame this problem with your previous character. Maybe look back at what you did there to fit in that detail, and try to apply that here?

Also, maybe make his left (our right) foot point down a little like you did with your previous character so that they appear to be standing on the same plane (that is, of course, if they are going to be used is the same game/piece).

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #69 on: December 11, 2009, 01:43:15 am
Great! Is this a replacement character or a separate character from the same setting? Either way this one has much more interest. Pose is superb.

Also, maybe make his left (our right) foot point down a little like you did with your previous character so that they appear to be standing on the same plane (that is, of course, if they are going to be used is the same game/piece).

Though that's right, and I agree, I get a feeling like it's going to make the character look off balance. I think you actually need to modify the projection/perspective of the character to match that of the previous character (which, naturally, will lead to the feet doing what has been suggested).

Colours are too monochromatic, imo. Brown suit, brown shoes, brown hair, (reasonably) brown skin.

You've got a distribution of highlight and shadow that is contributing to a noisy appearance. Take the waist, for example. Black lines, solid blocks of highlight, solid blocks of shadow, then the 2 super bright pixels of the wrist in a sea of darks. The wrinkles on the torso feel over-rendered, too. I do like the thighs, though, I think you've nailed that. The legs in general are solid, though the lower legs and knees could use a little more refinement. The knees are too sharp, and the midtone that comes into the shin areas could be cut down, especially on his right (our left) leg. I say black shoes, too, or at least very dark shoes.