AuthorTopic: [WIP]Trees related  (Read 32921 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Second Try For Tree

Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 06:38:58 am
Here's how it works, you come here and we teach you. You won't go to basketball practice and say to the coach "I don't want to run laps, it's no fun" either.

You can do it your way and you'll get less and less comments. You also won't improve as fast.

So:
1) Don't start a new tree every 5 minutes, work on one till it's perfect
2) Try out the thick brush thing as we explained it, not by using to draw, but to form shapes and colors
3) Don't weasel out of good comments

You don't have to follow my advice, but there it is anyway. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I think it's better if I'm honest.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 06:30:20 pm
Im sorry for more ignorance guys.

Is just as my sister have told me.

I just think im better and all thats why I haven't folow you guys comments.

Thats the worse part of my attitude.

Im always mean to someone and thinks im better then anyone and never take the advices from someone thats why I have never improve yet if im right.

I will now start to work with brush size at 3~5 and see the diffrence and all after im done drawing it I will post it here to recieve C&C.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 08:14:21 pm
Did you guys ment something like this?

Did it with brush size 3

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 09:40:38 pm
Okay. Maybe this will help. Here's how I'd start it:

Step one: Draw the bare tree. Think about what a tree would look like if it had no leaves.

Step two: Draw the back layer of foliage. Here you can further define the look of the tree. Don't worry about the shading or minor details.

Step three: Draw the front layer of foliage. Again, don't worry about the shading or minor details.

Step four: Define the direction of your lighting by casting shadows onto the trunk of your tree.

I think if you can get to this point, it's just a matter of detailing, tweaking colors, etc.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:46:54 pm by Rawsushi »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 10:01:52 pm
Btw what size you used there?

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 10:04:12 pm
What size?

What size brush? I switched between a 1 pixel and 3 pixel brush.

Offline tylerjhutchison

• View Profile
    • tylersaurus.com

Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 08:24:22 am
I think you should probably stop studying how to make pixel trees... and take a look at how shading works in general, because the rules of shadows and light apply to every medium... regardless of if you are painting, drawing or pixelating.

image taken from: http://studiochalkboard.evansville.edu/s-chiaro.html
This is Chiaroscuro, it is a technique used for properly shading everything.  This is what a sphere with a single light cast on it will look like in REAL LIFE.  You might be able to use this to imagine what other shapes might look like.  OR  You can set up your own examples if you get a light bulb and an object (It is easiest if the object is a solid color so you can really pay attention to the shadows.)  Maybe practice by drawing a still life and carefully concentrating on where shadows go and how dark certain shadows are compared to other shadows in the still life.  After you have played around with this enough, you will be able to just know what the shadows will look like for almost any object.

Think about how these rules for shading might apply to pixels and trees.

Here is an art guide specifically telling you how to draw foliage in chiaroscuro:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2101857_draw-foliage-chiaroscuro.html

If you examine Schrib's trees you will see that they do a pretty good job of following the rules of chiaroscuro.

Also maybe just consider going outside and looking at some real trees. Or using google image search.  Do not be afraid to use a REAL LIFE reference when you are making something.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 01:09:34 pm
This is what a sphere with a single light cast on it will look like in REAL LIFE.  You might be able to use this to imagine what other shapes might look like. 
And a second (golden) rule i learnt here is to alter the hue of your object slightly with highlight/light/shadow/reflection.
E.g. shift reflection light to the blues/purple and shifting highlights towards the yellows produce more interesting results than "plain gray gradient" objects. See the squi-bomb in the treasure chest for example. Exagarating such effects move you away from "realistic" into "fantastic" lighting (e.g. Seiken Deikutsu III lightning of trees).

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 02:28:43 pm
hehehe back on the progress of tree and all.

Where sick these days.

Ok back on topic.

Here's how I draw my stuffs in real life and all.

I finaly could scan them but all of these I have draw this morning I also have draw a isometric house and all wich I will show later.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 03:11:54 pm
When you sketch try using the whole page for your drawing instead of a bunch of tiny little ones. Thumbnail (that is, tiny) sketches are only good for getting the basic layout of something; if you want to really get good at drawing it you have to draw it big so you can see it clearly and you can't hide your mistakes. Also, are this sketches of things from real life or did you just draw them from memory? I ask because they drawings are all very icon-like - a log you would find in the forest, for example, is not a perfect cylinder, even though that's how your mind remembers it. A real log is actually much more interesting. This is why it's good to do studies from life, because your brain has a way of simplifying and compressing things into simple iconic shapes unless you train it otherwise.

I'm not saying every drawing you do has to be copied from life but rather this is a good way to practice so that when you do imagine or invent your own drawings, they'll be much better. You can train yourself to draw things as they really are, not as the simplified, abstract version in your mind.
I mild from suffer dislexia.