AuthorTopic: [WIP]Trees related  (Read 32917 times)

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Re: Second Try For Tree

Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 10:29:16 am
micintexp - I'm not sure why you wanted your last thread closed. Seems like your still on the same track. But all of the good advice was in that thread and you really need to go back and pay attention to what people said.
But I'll tell you what to do the simplest way I can, and please just try this.

In Graphics Gale or photoshop, or whatever you're using, select a thicker brush than 1 pixel wide. Say, 3 or 5 pixels wide.

Select a brown color, any brown will do for now.

Looking at a reference photo of a REAL tree, draw the trunk. NO OUTLINES! Just with one color, block out the whole trunk.
Do not mirror (actually never mirror a tree, it looks terrible).  Just be loose with the brush and use that one color, NO black outlines and NO shading.

Once you do that, post it here and we can crit it step by step.

At this point I think you're jumping way too far ahead without advice. When someone says you're going about it the wrong way you end up throwing it out and starting again, with all the same (and some new) problems.

Continue your current tree if you want, but just do me this favor and draw a trunk.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 04:33:28 pm
The problem is I find working with 1 pixel easier for me thats why I don't use 3-5 pixel pencils and so.

Even in my old thread they tell me the same but I know my reason why I can't work with it,I just find it harder then 1 pixel brush.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 04:34:28 pm
I think the biggest problem with your shading is the way you're interpreting trees.  I mean, ok, nobody (ok, very few people) are going to argue for rendering every twig branch and leaf, especially with a resolution that doesn't/can't lend itself to this, and the typical path is to create the impression.

HOWEVER!

leafy bodies are not solid pillowy forms.  They can't be rendered as though there is a continuous single surface.  Trees are made of a mass of leaves, each one oriented in a particular fashion, and each one in or out of shadow.  cross your eyes at a tree (not so easy in winter I guess...) and see what kinds of general shapes/colors are left and you'll be well on your way.  Observation is key.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 05:02:58 pm
Copying an edit from another thread...

I'm really bad at explaining but i'll give it a try:
I made the leaves look a little more bubbly, gave them more texture.
I yellowed some of the leaves.
I added in dithering in random places to make the bark look rougher and dryer.
I changed the shading a bit.
I added in some AA.
I made a terrible attempt at texturing the dunes.
I added in some dramatic acting.  ;)

Hope it helps!

See how the leaves look kinda bubbly almost?

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 05:09:45 pm
Is just I always get the shading wrong,I still can't figure out how to shade right o.o.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 06:12:58 pm

Is this the right way , _, '

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:41:53 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 08:46:14 pm
Another try again.

Not done shading it.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 10:18:30 pm
Bleh I just idk how I schould shade it I have been studying Schrib trees but I still don't get it...

And eeven so no one seems to be posting anything to this thread....

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 02:11:22 am
Yeah, uh, you only gave us like four hours to say anything. Pixelation isn't some omniscient pixel critiquing super-machine. :mean:

Anyway something's odd about your tree's proportions, I think. The stump's kind of wide so I'd imagine the tree should be taller...but that's not the real issue and it's most likely just my imagination. The real problem is, or it seems to me that you've drawn up a stump and slapped a little leaf bubble on top of it instead of, uh, drawing a tree properly. It doesn't help that you're using the same line art that you used earlier. If it were me I'd start with a naked tree and draw leaf bunches, but I've never done that and Gnarf's method seems quicker and easier. You should probably try that first.

But feel free to totally ignore me.

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 04:08:44 am
The problem is I find working with 1 pixel easier for me thats why I don't use 3-5 pixel pencils and so.

Even in my old thread they tell me the same but I know my reason why I can't work with it,I just find it harder then 1 pixel brush.

People are telling you to do it for a good reason. It's not meant to be easy. It's challenging but you're not going to learn if you keep dismissing the advice that we're giving you.
Fine, use a 1 pixel brush if it's such a big deal. But please try and block out the shapes instead of drawing outlines. The outlines will be done later! Think of it as coloring in before you do the outline, your shapes will have an outline without having to worry about it.

Can you at least try it?