AuthorTopic: [WIP]Trees related  (Read 32918 times)

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

[WIP]Trees related

on: November 21, 2009, 08:43:18 pm
Hey Hey Hey pupils.

Its me again showing another new tree I made.

This time I have done it in cs 4.

Wich I have used small brush size and few dark tones and so.

Here's my new tree version.

Let me know what you guys think.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:27:54 am by micintexp »

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Re: Second Try

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:56:07 pm
this isnt pixel art! from the looks of it you used brushes with auto AA. pixel art just cant be done with these kinds of tools! almost everything you need you'll find in paint alone!
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Re: Second Try

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:43:28 pm
1st:

2nd:
I just can't understand how to shade right lol.

The problem is I can't realy understand how you can acualy picture it that there's light shadows and all there but after messing around I think im starting to figure it out.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 10:34:16 pm by micintexp »

Offline circuscommando

• View Profile

Re: Second Try For Tree

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 06:57:28 am
with such a small scope of colors, i don't think 5 is necessary for the leaves alone, 3  or 4 would do.  Get some dithering in, right now the entire thing is pillow shading.
he hobbles and hobbles.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 10:51:53 am
Hmm I have acualy use more colour probably because the colour I used was way to low opacity but will fix it :P.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:59:19 pm

Another try.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:06:19 pm
your never gonna get realistic shading when you're mirroring your work at the final stages like that
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 07:14:34 pm
Well hers looks cool.

http://sererena.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Tree-52291235

Im gonna retry again tough.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 07:24:20 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 10:01:00 pm

IM not recieving any critiques anymore...

Comon pupils I need to improve v,v'

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 10:12:43 pm
Stop mirroring. It doesn't look good on your tree and it doesn't look good on the tree Sererena made either.

I do see improvement though. You'll need to search for another green though, this one is such a generic neon green.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 10:23:04 pm
Atm im making another tree just wait a bit ;)

Edit:

What you think?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 10:34:57 pm by micintexp »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 11:00:56 pm
I think it's mirrored. :n:

Palette is better though.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:19:59 am
I took your first tree and did an edit.  I liked the basic placement you started with, but it needed a lot of work.  I'm not that good at pixel art yet, but I think I can help.

Problem 1: Consistent lighting.

I added a sun to keep track of where the light is coming from.

Problem 2: Black outlines.

I replaced the black outlines around the leaves with the darkest green (as a placeholder).  Then I started to work on the trunk, using the lightest brown where the sun hits (up and left), and the darkest brown where the shadow is (down and right).

Problem 3: Flat branches

The trunk and branches all have the same flatness to them.  On a real tree some branches would come towards the viewer and some away from the viewer.  Branches that come towards the viewer would show a lot of the underside of the branch, so there should be a large shadow underneath.  Branches going away would show a lot of the top of the branch, so more of the light brown color.

Problem 4: Not enough branches.

What you have looks ok for Charlie Brown's Xmas tree, but most trees would have additional branches. I added a few smaller branches and tried to add depth too.  Some should come towards the viewer, some away.  It's harder to do with smaller branches because there are fewer pixels, and some of these may get covered up by the leaves, but it's worth doign well.

Problem 5:  Trunk and branch roots too thin

Most trees are like long cones.  Wide at the bottom and narrower at the top.  The branches work the same way.  There are exceptions (palm trees), but this looked like a normal tree.  This was an easy fix, just widen the bases of the trunk and branches.

Result:

Step 2, the leaves.

Problem 1:  Not enough leaves

Too many gaps in the foliage, and the new smaller branches needed some green too.  I connected the clumps you had.

Problem 2: Inconsistent shading

With the light from above and a little to the left, the different clumps needed better shading.  The leaves also come forward towards the viewer like a dome shape (sorta), so the brighter colors needed to match the dome curve.

Result:

This is ok so far, but there's room to improve.

Step 3: Good enough version

Problem:  Shading incomplete

Shaded the rest.   This was just a lot of filling in, trying to keep the 3d-ness in my head.

Problem:  The dark green outline doesn't look so good.

I tried lightening the outline, and then just removed most of it.

Result:

Step 4: Final version

Mostly more tweaking of the green leaves on the right hand side.  I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is.  There's more work that can be done, like adding some leaves in front of the branches, but I called it good enough for an edit.  Looks a bit puffball-ish, I suppose.

I stepped away for a bit and thought about explaining what I did, and realized the simplest explanation was the two small circles you see in the last pic (brown and green, just under the sun).  Zoom in on those.

Imagine each of these is a sphere rather than a circle.  I took the colors in the pic and put them on the sphere where they would show up given the lighting.  When you look at a pixel on the tree, you can figure out the direction that surface would be facing and use a pixel of the right color.  With only 3-4 colors, the sphere can be small.  More colors would probably need a larger sphere, and the ones I drew don't take into account cast shadows.  Since the parts of the tree are larger than the sphere (like the trunk), where you choose to fill in the different colors defines the shape of the resulting object.

Things not done:
On this piece the shades were all the same hue.  I didn't adjust the colors, but shifting the hues would be a good improvement too.

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 12:42:32 am
But oh well I wasn't realy going to continue edit it.

Im not realy a persoon that makes a tree then continue editing it.

I just keep trying to build a new one untill I figure out the trick thats how I do it.

For me myself I have improve pretty fast for 5-6 days on pixel art.

Even so drawing the tree is not that much of the problem,the problem is the shading and adding leaves and all.

Wich is exactly what im trying to practice on and always reach to another failure.

But practices makes your improve yourself wich is what I have been doing and starting to improve alot more :).

And you didn't notice but,in my last tree I don't have the black outlines .

-About the shading adding light and so.

Your example were okay,but Im already watching inside a thread daily on how to make a thread wich is Schrib wich is this thread http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=8291.0.

For now I also started to watch the in-game 2D graphics game on NDS games to study there trees and others.

Tomorow I might start to build another new tree but a better look.

Edit:

Will continue with it tomorow,might aswell change the side.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:25:35 am by micintexp »

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 08:09:47 am
sometimes it's tough to go back to a piece you aren't happy with.  but it could really help to go over your mistakes and correct them rather than scrapping it.  i think it would help if you tried to get a working silhouette of the tree first.  i googled "tree" and used one as a reference, not necessarily copying it, just as a reference.  with your silhouette, you can define the object without any details.  if it reads as a tree that's great.  secondly, you can find a balance in your piece using the same method.

i went into mspaint and blocked out a tree with a square brush and then moved on to sculpting the silhouette which is the bottom piece.  you can always add more to a piece, but i'd call that done and move on to details.  that's where you can further clean up the silhouette as you move along.

hope this helps.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 07:07:31 pm
Gnarf,for some odd reason I can't see your image.

You mind readding that image again.

I will take your advice and study it,maybe your right sometimes.

Because If I watch clearly Schrib did do some edits on the same trees in order to get a better look.

Thanks.

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 02:11:48 am
it shows up fine for me, i think imageshack was down for a while is all.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 02:28:42 am
So far the trunk is done.

I have been working on the trunk for few hours.

But Its stil not right in some way.

Im gonna reshade it again.

Edit:

Will continue shading it tomorow.

Might aswell reshade it again because its not going the way I wanted it.

The outline will be removed after im fully done with the shading on the tree and trunk and so.

For now lets call it a day.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 03:08:26 am by micintexp »

Offline Gnarf

• nnnnt
    • View Profile
    • el presto blog

Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 06:14:58 am
it doesn't seem like you're really following anyone's critique.  there are no real shortcuts to this, and any that you try to take only look so apparent.  it's not going to just hit you like an epiphany or something.  really take the time to read over the critiques.

as for your current piece, you're rushing into details at an extremely early stage.  there are no rules to going about this, but when things aren't looking right, there are processes you can use.  we've given you some meaty critique, and there are tons more pertaining to trees all over this forum.

it still seems as though you're mirroring, the lines on the trunk stand out to me.  it's nice that you established a lightsource, but save the actual shading until later.  lay down the base colors of the whole tree first.  then move on to toning.  do this in chunks and with as few colors as possible: generally meaning midtones, highlights, and shadows.  start with three colors for those.

i would move into detailing afterwards.  believe me, with a guide and a clean start you won't be scrapping every tree you work on.  when you have a clear cut idea of where you want to go with the piece, you'lll really enjoy it.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 10:10:56 am
Thanks Gnarf,I will do that when I get back from school :).

But I did say I will reshade it again because its not realy going that well.

I must still study certain trees again,well schrib trees are some good trees that I could study .

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 10:29:16 am
micintexp - I'm not sure why you wanted your last thread closed. Seems like your still on the same track. But all of the good advice was in that thread and you really need to go back and pay attention to what people said.
But I'll tell you what to do the simplest way I can, and please just try this.

In Graphics Gale or photoshop, or whatever you're using, select a thicker brush than 1 pixel wide. Say, 3 or 5 pixels wide.

Select a brown color, any brown will do for now.

Looking at a reference photo of a REAL tree, draw the trunk. NO OUTLINES! Just with one color, block out the whole trunk.
Do not mirror (actually never mirror a tree, it looks terrible).  Just be loose with the brush and use that one color, NO black outlines and NO shading.

Once you do that, post it here and we can crit it step by step.

At this point I think you're jumping way too far ahead without advice. When someone says you're going about it the wrong way you end up throwing it out and starting again, with all the same (and some new) problems.

Continue your current tree if you want, but just do me this favor and draw a trunk.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 04:33:28 pm
The problem is I find working with 1 pixel easier for me thats why I don't use 3-5 pixel pencils and so.

Even in my old thread they tell me the same but I know my reason why I can't work with it,I just find it harder then 1 pixel brush.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 04:34:28 pm
I think the biggest problem with your shading is the way you're interpreting trees.  I mean, ok, nobody (ok, very few people) are going to argue for rendering every twig branch and leaf, especially with a resolution that doesn't/can't lend itself to this, and the typical path is to create the impression.

HOWEVER!

leafy bodies are not solid pillowy forms.  They can't be rendered as though there is a continuous single surface.  Trees are made of a mass of leaves, each one oriented in a particular fashion, and each one in or out of shadow.  cross your eyes at a tree (not so easy in winter I guess...) and see what kinds of general shapes/colors are left and you'll be well on your way.  Observation is key.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 05:02:58 pm
Copying an edit from another thread...

I'm really bad at explaining but i'll give it a try:
I made the leaves look a little more bubbly, gave them more texture.
I yellowed some of the leaves.
I added in dithering in random places to make the bark look rougher and dryer.
I changed the shading a bit.
I added in some AA.
I made a terrible attempt at texturing the dunes.
I added in some dramatic acting.  ;)

Hope it helps!

See how the leaves look kinda bubbly almost?

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 05:09:45 pm
Is just I always get the shading wrong,I still can't figure out how to shade right o.o.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 06:12:58 pm

Is this the right way , _, '

« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:41:53 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 08:46:14 pm
Another try again.

Not done shading it.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 10:18:30 pm
Bleh I just idk how I schould shade it I have been studying Schrib trees but I still don't get it...

And eeven so no one seems to be posting anything to this thread....

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 02:11:22 am
Yeah, uh, you only gave us like four hours to say anything. Pixelation isn't some omniscient pixel critiquing super-machine. :mean:

Anyway something's odd about your tree's proportions, I think. The stump's kind of wide so I'd imagine the tree should be taller...but that's not the real issue and it's most likely just my imagination. The real problem is, or it seems to me that you've drawn up a stump and slapped a little leaf bubble on top of it instead of, uh, drawing a tree properly. It doesn't help that you're using the same line art that you used earlier. If it were me I'd start with a naked tree and draw leaf bunches, but I've never done that and Gnarf's method seems quicker and easier. You should probably try that first.

But feel free to totally ignore me.

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 04:08:44 am
The problem is I find working with 1 pixel easier for me thats why I don't use 3-5 pixel pencils and so.

Even in my old thread they tell me the same but I know my reason why I can't work with it,I just find it harder then 1 pixel brush.

People are telling you to do it for a good reason. It's not meant to be easy. It's challenging but you're not going to learn if you keep dismissing the advice that we're giving you.
Fine, use a 1 pixel brush if it's such a big deal. But please try and block out the shapes instead of drawing outlines. The outlines will be done later! Think of it as coloring in before you do the outline, your shapes will have an outline without having to worry about it.

Can you at least try it?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 06:38:58 am
Here's how it works, you come here and we teach you. You won't go to basketball practice and say to the coach "I don't want to run laps, it's no fun" either.

You can do it your way and you'll get less and less comments. You also won't improve as fast.

So:
1) Don't start a new tree every 5 minutes, work on one till it's perfect
2) Try out the thick brush thing as we explained it, not by using to draw, but to form shapes and colors
3) Don't weasel out of good comments

You don't have to follow my advice, but there it is anyway. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I think it's better if I'm honest.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 06:30:20 pm
Im sorry for more ignorance guys.

Is just as my sister have told me.

I just think im better and all thats why I haven't folow you guys comments.

Thats the worse part of my attitude.

Im always mean to someone and thinks im better then anyone and never take the advices from someone thats why I have never improve yet if im right.

I will now start to work with brush size at 3~5 and see the diffrence and all after im done drawing it I will post it here to recieve C&C.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 08:14:21 pm
Did you guys ment something like this?

Did it with brush size 3

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #33 on: November 25, 2009, 09:40:38 pm
Okay. Maybe this will help. Here's how I'd start it:

Step one: Draw the bare tree. Think about what a tree would look like if it had no leaves.

Step two: Draw the back layer of foliage. Here you can further define the look of the tree. Don't worry about the shading or minor details.

Step three: Draw the front layer of foliage. Again, don't worry about the shading or minor details.

Step four: Define the direction of your lighting by casting shadows onto the trunk of your tree.

I think if you can get to this point, it's just a matter of detailing, tweaking colors, etc.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:46:54 pm by Rawsushi »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 10:01:52 pm
Btw what size you used there?

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #35 on: November 25, 2009, 10:04:12 pm
What size?

What size brush? I switched between a 1 pixel and 3 pixel brush.

Offline tylerjhutchison

• View Profile
    • tylersaurus.com

Reply #36 on: November 26, 2009, 08:24:22 am
I think you should probably stop studying how to make pixel trees... and take a look at how shading works in general, because the rules of shadows and light apply to every medium... regardless of if you are painting, drawing or pixelating.

image taken from: http://studiochalkboard.evansville.edu/s-chiaro.html
This is Chiaroscuro, it is a technique used for properly shading everything.  This is what a sphere with a single light cast on it will look like in REAL LIFE.  You might be able to use this to imagine what other shapes might look like.  OR  You can set up your own examples if you get a light bulb and an object (It is easiest if the object is a solid color so you can really pay attention to the shadows.)  Maybe practice by drawing a still life and carefully concentrating on where shadows go and how dark certain shadows are compared to other shadows in the still life.  After you have played around with this enough, you will be able to just know what the shadows will look like for almost any object.

Think about how these rules for shading might apply to pixels and trees.

Here is an art guide specifically telling you how to draw foliage in chiaroscuro:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2101857_draw-foliage-chiaroscuro.html

If you examine Schrib's trees you will see that they do a pretty good job of following the rules of chiaroscuro.

Also maybe just consider going outside and looking at some real trees. Or using google image search.  Do not be afraid to use a REAL LIFE reference when you are making something.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 01:09:34 pm
This is what a sphere with a single light cast on it will look like in REAL LIFE.  You might be able to use this to imagine what other shapes might look like. 
And a second (golden) rule i learnt here is to alter the hue of your object slightly with highlight/light/shadow/reflection.
E.g. shift reflection light to the blues/purple and shifting highlights towards the yellows produce more interesting results than "plain gray gradient" objects. See the squi-bomb in the treasure chest for example. Exagarating such effects move you away from "realistic" into "fantastic" lighting (e.g. Seiken Deikutsu III lightning of trees).

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 02:28:43 pm
hehehe back on the progress of tree and all.

Where sick these days.

Ok back on topic.

Here's how I draw my stuffs in real life and all.

I finaly could scan them but all of these I have draw this morning I also have draw a isometric house and all wich I will show later.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 03:11:54 pm
When you sketch try using the whole page for your drawing instead of a bunch of tiny little ones. Thumbnail (that is, tiny) sketches are only good for getting the basic layout of something; if you want to really get good at drawing it you have to draw it big so you can see it clearly and you can't hide your mistakes. Also, are this sketches of things from real life or did you just draw them from memory? I ask because they drawings are all very icon-like - a log you would find in the forest, for example, is not a perfect cylinder, even though that's how your mind remembers it. A real log is actually much more interesting. This is why it's good to do studies from life, because your brain has a way of simplifying and compressing things into simple iconic shapes unless you train it otherwise.

I'm not saying every drawing you do has to be copied from life but rather this is a good way to practice so that when you do imagine or invent your own drawings, they'll be much better. You can train yourself to draw things as they really are, not as the simplified, abstract version in your mind.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 03:19:54 pm
More like I try to draw it from my memory,but I will try to draw as you said.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: December 06, 2009, 08:37:42 pm
Just a question guys , is there a book about pixel art and all.

It would be better if I read it from the books,right?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #42 on: December 06, 2009, 10:41:30 pm
There isn't even a decent knowledge base right now, but that doesn't really matter for you, as 90% of pixel art is traditional art study. Try getting a book on sketching which deals with volumes.

The perfect book for you seems to "Fun with a pencil" by Andrew Loomis

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #43 on: December 07, 2009, 05:03:31 pm
it's best to think of pixels as being a kind of paint. Just like watercolor or oil there are a pro's and con's to using it and there are some tricks to get better results. But no matter what kind of paint you use, the more you know about good illustration and design principals the better the results will be. So the better you get at drawing, the better your pixel art will get.

All that to say, there may be some book somewhere about pixel art but it's not the best way to learn. The "tricks" of pixel art are easy to learn but good illustration and design techniques require practice.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 10:57:58 pm
Here's another try for a tree.

I still can't get it right but oh well.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 11:27:02 am
Okay here's the finished shading of the tree

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: December 13, 2009, 11:45:14 am
This is the pixel art section, you're not exactly supposed to post sketches here, but I'll give you some advice on how to get better at trees and pixelling them: Draw from reference or from life. Not just trees, other still life will help you as well, apples, bananas, shoes, trash cans, etc. You need to definitely learn the basics of art, it will take time for you to improve but I promise it will pay off, you need to go grab yourself an actual sketchbook from your hobby store and some art pencils, I use 6B lead myself, and start drawing things around you. Remember, all pixelling is is just another medium of art, there are no shortcuts to getting better at any kind of art, you just have to practice, practice, practice.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: December 13, 2009, 12:34:02 pm
Pixel art comes from your drawing skills in real life like you can use it as a reference, thats why I post it here and see if it's okay or not and redraw again till it reach to a nice looking tree and try to pixel it :D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #48 on: December 13, 2009, 05:27:07 pm
Have you tried reading the book I suggested? It's really going to help.

"Fun with a pencil" by Andrew Loomis

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: December 13, 2009, 05:39:48 pm
The problem is I can't purchase the book.

Even so my dad won't purchase it for me.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #50 on: December 13, 2009, 06:48:18 pm
Considering the way this thread is going, this may be a bad idea. However! You didn't hear this from me. Understand? Just hit the grey download button and wait a few seconds for the download to begin. Once agin, you didn't get this from me, we clear? Good.

http://www.filestube.com/be1cd56d521fbf2d03ea,g/Andrew-Loomis-Fun-With-A-Pencil-How-Everybody-Can-Easily-Learn-To-Draw.html

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: December 13, 2009, 07:16:04 pm
Either way I can't download it I don't have a premium Rapid share account.

Nvm is just alot peoples is downloading files.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:27:05 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: December 13, 2009, 10:50:02 pm
OK where trying for a tree pot.

Didn't went that well ehehe.

Well the pot is diffrent colour ofcourse :P

And it seems I finaly could find some parts of the book im gonna start reading it now .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 10:53:39 pm by micintexp »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: December 13, 2009, 11:09:35 pm
OK where trying for a tree pot.

You need to round out that pot: remember that the pot is pretty much a cylinder that is smaller on one side (or a cone with the tip cut off).

Maybe thin out that trunk a little, and give it some curve.

I like the palette choice for the trunk, but try lowering those greens' saturation by half of what they are now.

Round out the shrubbery -- look back at your picture for shape reference and shading reference for the foliage.

The foliage needs variation in shading: you've dispersed the light green evenly througout the dark green, and it looks flat and static.

And overall, make sure to try and present enough details in your picture so that the viewer can correctly identify each part: for instance, I wasn't sure at first whether or not that was a pot or a chunk of floating ground that the tree was growing out of. Maybe consider a different color scheme for the pot?

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: December 13, 2009, 11:29:13 pm
One thing that im not doing is not making it the same thing as the picture ehehe.

Where trying for just a straight line without making it the same thing as the picture.

Little edit  and colour management.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:37:14 pm by micintexp »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: December 13, 2009, 11:54:52 pm
Dont be afraid to aim for picture-perfect: as long as you're not tracing, you really aren't doing anything wrong (just give credit to photographer and get his or her permission before you start flashing your creation around on the internet or in real life), and, if anything, it's great realism study.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: December 14, 2009, 12:09:13 am
And besides, the pot is massive compared the the tree. Your blue background in overpowering everything too.
Colours could do with work, basically there's lots, and they are really close. Try to shift hue, saturation and value when changing shades. The way you've shaded the foliage isn't really working, random dots do not leaves make :)

Here's an edit, in hindsight I made the pot too small :P

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: December 14, 2009, 12:10:18 am
Aw you makes me jelous thats just too great D:

Will try to make a mine more diffrent
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:13:22 am by micintexp »

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: December 14, 2009, 12:32:46 am
Just zoom in on it, see how it's really just about blocks of colour and not trying to fit every last detail in :)

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: December 14, 2009, 12:42:31 am
So far here is how I made my pots.

1:

2:

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #60 on: December 14, 2009, 12:49:37 am
Make sure to take the circular shape into account; for reference, go into paint and make a few ovals with the circle tool, zoom in, and study how the pixels are arranged to make a line that appears to curve relatively smoothly.

Aw you makes me jelous thats just too great D:

Will try to make a mine more diffrent

What really makes Jeremy's piece "pop" is not just his tree's shape, but his expert understanding of color theory; study how he makes use of warm colors and cool colors to really give his tree that dynamic effect.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: December 14, 2009, 12:51:03 am
Ok made another new tree pot with 2 diffrent pot colours and so.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:15:53 am by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]Trees related

Reply #62 on: December 14, 2009, 03:27:24 pm
So what you guys think of the last tree pots  ::)

Edit:

I still can't shade the tree right for some odd reason O.o.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:12:09 pm by micintexp »

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #63 on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:06 pm
I still can't shade the tree right for some odd reason O.o.
Have you been practicing at all? Did you use reference?

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: December 14, 2009, 11:18:27 pm
So far i'm practing from my point.

If I didn't practice I wouldn't make that tree pot.

Even so Each changes or tree or anything I make I post them here in order to recieve c&c thats why iI have being posting.

So far from the other forum only  1 persoon give me a advice of my tree.

Im  posting it on both of the forums to see what other peoples thinks and what I must improve.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: December 15, 2009, 02:25:33 am
Okay I have reshade again.

Offline bengo

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: December 15, 2009, 05:45:59 am
We can't really critique your stuff until you have a basic grasp on the fundamentals of art, I really, really, suggest you stop pixelling for awhile and pick up a pencil and some paper and draw from life, draw your tree in your backyard if you want to get better at trees, etc., you will improve tenfold. Also once again, I will ask, did you use reference for your tree? Reference will help you greatly if you use it properly.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #67 on: December 15, 2009, 12:58:36 pm
Is not like I have any tree in my backyard.
Even so I tried to draw one before but I will redraw again.
But the reason im not getting my try right because im not shading it right.
Atm im reading that boook ' Fun with a pencil'

Ah now I see why you mean if I being practing at all.

Probably im not getting the shading right because im not realy using reference v,v'

I will start using reference for now im gonna study few pixel trees that others have made to see how they shade it and so.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 02:16:36 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: December 15, 2009, 04:19:27 pm
Okay so tried to look at this tree http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/Tree_without_leaves.jpg.

And tried to build something way diffrent from that tree.

Like these 2  they are not realy the same as the tree above since im trying to study the way the brenches go and try to make mines a bit more diffrent.

1:http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/2639050/1024/Picture-Box/T1.png

2:http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/2639029/1024/Picture-Box/T2.png
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 04:25:26 pm by micintexp »

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: December 15, 2009, 04:27:57 pm
Either way I can't download it I don't have a premium Rapid share account.

Nvm is just alot peoples is downloading files.

Here, you can read the book online or even download it. LINK
There is no legal problem, because the license is over, at least that's I remeber reading.

If you have time, check out some of the other books from Loomis, they are all great.  :)

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #70 on: December 15, 2009, 04:33:15 pm
I already have the pdf. file,Thank You tough :P.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: December 15, 2009, 06:42:07 pm
So far I have something like this.

Is the shading for the tree right?

If it's right will start to add details.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: December 15, 2009, 07:16:45 pm

No, the shading in the leaves are just a gradient and don't match up with the shading on the trunk.
 ::)

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: December 15, 2009, 07:27:23 pm

No, the shading in the leaves are just a gradient and don't match up with the shading on the trunk.
 ::)

Just what I was thinking.

I suggest (in order):

1: adjusting the shading to show more of the foliage's spherical shape (and have the same light source as the truck).

2: breaking up the colors via dithering or AA-ing (I suggest dithering since you're pretty new to pixeling, no offense).

3: adjusting the hues of the greens in the foliage, making your highlights warmer and your shades cooler, in order to give it a more dynamic feel.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 07:28:54 pm by WM »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: December 15, 2009, 07:39:19 pm
Well I tried something else.

Tried to do leafies.

No need to say no offense about me being new to pixel art since i'm new lol.

2 Other trys.

Few changes again.

[Way to dark but still can see the highlight a bit]

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:36:29 pm by micintexp »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: December 15, 2009, 09:39:34 pm
Well I tried something else.

Tried to do leafies.

Looking better!
I'd say to try improving on that design now, I think its a good start.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: December 16, 2009, 01:25:56 am
Few other trys again.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: December 16, 2009, 01:48:56 am
On all of those you have this line at which you start making the colors brighter... You have to imagine what you're drawing as if it is real, then imagine what it would look like when the light shines on it. In my imagination the light on the tree wouldn't be a straight line where it gets brighter, it would be a curved line because of the shape of the tree.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: December 16, 2009, 01:57:23 am
Can you do a edit so I can see how you the highlight ehehe'.

Atm im studying the shading of canopy trees from scribble picture.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: December 16, 2009, 06:16:00 am

You mean these, right? A lot of good examples.

I made it so the separate leaves are now clumps of leaves.
On the trunk I made it darker because of the all the leaves above it, because, hey, thats got to be casting some shadows.
I put patches of bright green on the leaves to make it look shinier.

You might see that the shades I used don't make a gradient. I have a really bright shade, some middle tones, and a dark shade.

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #80 on: December 17, 2009, 04:24:22 am

This one's the best imo :)

The colours could still use some work, as could the leaf clusters. Remember basics of shading and apply them: the tree is basically a sphere on top of a cylinder.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #81 on: December 17, 2009, 10:06:19 pm

Trying to do a new shading way.

Won't try for leafies atm.

I tried to do something alike to the ball tree of schribb trees.

Thats what I got so far.

[I noticed that the main colour doesn't realy show mostly the highlight I will fix that as soon as I get home,It seems I rushed this one a bit]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:10:42 pm by micintexp »

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: December 18, 2009, 08:39:21 pm
Couldn't manage to shade well yet.

But I think im starting to get to know where the light source must go and soo.

Will do a angle version.

These trees are not well made but if I continue practice I know I would make some better ones :).

They sucks D:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 08:55:11 pm by micintexp »

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #83 on: December 19, 2009, 10:45:52 am
You've still got the trees lit from right above, in which case the trunk would be completely shadowed. Have a look at that simplified edit I posted earlier to see another possible lighting direction.

Your colours could do with some hue-shifting and more contrast.

You're improving from your first NPA attempt :P

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: December 19, 2009, 02:00:26 pm

You're improving from your first NPA attempt :P

May I ask what you mean with NPA?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: December 19, 2009, 04:24:38 pm
It means Non-Pixel Art and is a weird term to abbreviate
' _ '

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 05:28:53 pm
So far drawed trunk and brenches without leaves what you guys think o.o.

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/2657538/1024/Picture-Box/t01.png

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: December 20, 2009, 09:48:55 pm
Any ideas?

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #88 on: December 20, 2009, 09:55:05 pm
Any ideas?

Those branches looks extremly sharp. Branches don't end like that, look: old tree.
The base also looks strange.

Google some trees, that will help you a lot.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: December 20, 2009, 10:03:46 pm
http://visual.merriam-webster.com/images/plants-gardening/plants/tree/structure-tree.jpg

Im trying that one but keep failing lol
And this one the only tree that I could see the brenches showing there might be some more but I find this one more great .

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #90 on: December 21, 2009, 10:16:36 pm

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #91 on: December 24, 2009, 02:20:07 am
I think what you need is just some solid drawing study.  I know you're drawing a lot, but you're not trying to draw what you see, you're trying to draw the idea.

Trees are a really difficult subject in general, and for someone who still doesn't have a grasp on 3D space, perspective or a decent visual vocabulary, trying to draw trees is going to be a lot more frustrating.  You seem to be looking for some method that will take care of all of your future tree-drawing problems, but there is no hard and fast rule for drawing anything.  There's no "right way".  All the advice in the world won't matter if you can't use it properly.

I don't want to discourage.  I totally support you in your studies and practice.  I just think you would learn a lot faster if you remove as many things as possible and focus on one skill at a time, whether it be perspective, light and shadow, anatomy, positive / negative space and silhouette...  Trees basically force you to know a lot of stuff in order to be able to competently visualize one, unless you go for a really really stylized approach, and even then it's best to know as much as you can.

If you really are totally focused and determined to draw trees, then start studying trees.  SERIOUSLY study them.  Get a blank book or paper you can draw and take notes on, go outside (or onto google images, if it's too cold right now :P) and draw some trees from reference as closely to the reference as possible.  Don't stylize anything.  Draw whole trees, draw what the individual leaves look like, draw closeups of the bark, the seeds, knots, branches and everything.  Take notes on what kind of tree you're drawing, the different parts of the tree, etc, but draw them all specifically.  Don't generalize them.  Draw THAT exact tree.  Not 'a maple tree' or 'a pine tree' but that exact pine tree in your back yard, or that maple tree down the road.  Pay attention to how thick the branches are at the trunk, and how thick they are near the end.  look at how they bend.  Look at the angle they're at, and how many other branches sprout from them.  Then do a bunch more.  You'll end up with a huge amount of tree vocabulary in your head that you can later use to draw and pixel whatever sort of tree you want.

Draw some still life stuff as well.  Doesn't have to be fruit or anything.  Just get some stuff you have lying around and put one or two things in a nice, lit area (a windowsill or table where there's good sunlight coming in is a good place) and draw that.  As was also suggested, getting a book or two would help a lot.  Replies here aren't going to help you nearly as much as a solid book, like the Loomis books or "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".  Ask for them for christmas (if you celebrate it) or your birthday.

Anyway, keep working and posting.  I wish I could help more with the tree thing specifically, but I don't really know what sort of advice anyone could give that would make it 'click' without overwhelming you with stuff.  Doing still life and other stuff is my suggestion, but that doesn't mean you can't work on the trees or whatever else you want.  Just start laying a foundation.  Trial and error can only take you so far.