AuthorTopic: For the love of... not another... yeah, one more.  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

For the love of... not another... yeah, one more.

on: November 21, 2009, 08:21:06 pm
tee hee

Comments Advice and Critz Welcome!

<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Re: For the love of... not another... yeah, one more.

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:32:08 pm
Seems a bit flat to me, like a pice of cardboard with a blue light hitting the sides.  The form is nice, though!

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 09:26:15 pm
Yes, it really looks like someone dropped a bucket of blue paint on your tree, try to get some physical shape in there with the shading. Like why are only the roots at the sides shaded? The ones in the middle would have light on them too, right? Also red to blue as a transition? It works but it would need a context to really work, heh
' _ '

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 09:35:57 pm
whats with trees lately  :o

i like the tree, it has a worms Armageddon kind of style to it!  :y:
the shading so far kind of makes it look like A) its covered in a layer of ice? B) as if its simply an "embossed" tree with strange blue lighting.

if your doing that "emboss" kind of shading you should really try imagining the forms and your tree as a 3d object, not as a 3d extruded shape like you are now. imagine your light source and how the tree would cast self shadows based on the light source!
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:49:09 am
Thanks for the comments :)

I cant thank you guys enough for the feedback, I think I took some of the advice given... got rid of the blue and tried to add some depth...
old: new: new2:

maybe the middle could still use some more work... and I like the non blue better.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:56:29 am by Red_Mist »
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 02:13:57 am
The extra depth given by the darker brown is flattened by the green, because of the way you've just used it around the edges. The green (and brown) could be used to add wood grain texture, and the brown to AA between black and red.

I made an edit, not touching the branches ('cos I don't have time  :P ) but just showing you a way in which you could add some depth.
I also found that the twigs are quite thick without the green/blue taking it away ;)

In that last frame I just replaced the green with a default orange. I think it looks nicer :P

Offline Monochrome

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 10:42:17 am
I actually liked the blue lighting. It reminded me a lot of this particular scene from Loom, an old graphic adventure by lucasarts:

So yeah, a bit more detail on the tree trunk, but the keep the blue light, if you're planning to include it on a nightime scene. Gives it a nice mysterious look.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:50:45 am by Monochrome »
"God is dead, but considering the state of species Man is in, there will perhaps be caves, for ages yet, in which his shadow will be shown"

Friederich Nietzsche