AuthorTopic: First Pixel art.  (Read 6357 times)

Offline Tav

• View Profile

First Pixel art.

on: November 20, 2009, 07:46:17 am

this is my first pixel art, a tree. i know it's small, but this only what i'm capable of atm. so help please (:

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Re: First Pixel art.

Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:51:13 am
Not too much to comment on, there is no shading at all.
However I can say you need to change your trunk. Th thick part of the trunk should enter into the canopy as right now the entire foliage looks to be supported by three stick like branches.

Take a look at the other tree threads (theres a few) and observe what the do right and wrong. Observation is a very powerful skill.

Offline Tav

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:32:27 pm
i tried to shade, but cant seem to get it right. Mind to show how you do it?

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:40:05 pm
i tried to shade, but cant seem to get it right. Mind to show how you do it?

haha of course you won't get it right... it's your first pixel work! don't be afraid of going all the way, this is all about challenge and constant trial and error (practice) so don't expect to get any good for a while (months / years). You have to shade this tree, do the whole process as you were taught in whichever tutorial you read... and then go on and show us, we'll help out with the critique and point out where you succeeded / failed.  :y:

But really, go all the way, don't be embarrased nor afraid. Everyone goes through the same thing at first.

Offline Tav

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 03:19:52 pm
@Antifarea,
Thanks for the advice, really inspire me to continue!

here what i got, xD

i know it suck, but i want to get better slowly. (:

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 06:47:46 pm
Lets start with light source. Where do you want the light source to come from? Lets just say top left with forward tilt because that's the typical standard. (don't know why it just is)

Try to imagine where the tree will bulge in and out. The underneath of such a clump of leaves is more than likely going to be shadow. Taking a quick look at what you have I would instantly remove the shadow that points up on the left of the foliage. Also dark and light can go right to the edge, it doesn't need to have an outline, although some people do like it so and others strongly dislike it.
Play around with the shadows and the shapes of such and when you've created something you like have a go at dithering it to help bring out a leaf-like texture.

Offline Tav

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 06:45:06 am

here what i got , i messed it around.

Offline micintexp

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 12:43:14 pm
Wow,You did even better then me for a first pixel art.

I still can't make a nice tree,but im starting to getting to know what they start to tell me ;).

Probably I can use yours as a example where the shadow,light source and others schould be.

Offline Tav

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 03:36:07 pm
Wow,You did even better then me for a first pixel art.

I still can't make a nice tree,but im starting to getting to know what they start to tell me ;).

Probably I can use yours as a example where the shadow,light source and others schould be.

haha, thanks, but it isnt perfect tho! :X

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 05:28:36 pm
Sure isn't but the improvement is fantastic. Right now I think your colour ramp (the progression between dark and light shades of your green colour) is a little disjointed. I wonder what program you use.

It's hard to explain in words. I made an edit.

You're shading much better than pillow shading, but you're still shading the object as if it was flat with some parts sticking out more than others. I tried to give you an idea about how I think you should go about shading the tree. Gave you some examples of ways of shading. When you've got your light source diagonally from the top like .. like most people use for 'standard shading', you need to think about the object in 3d and realize that the brightest parts will also partially face the viewer, and the edges might actually be a bit darker. The examples with red crosses are ways you shouldn't shade, of course.

I also liked the size of the tree crown compared to the trunk that you had in your first attempt so I just added more leafage.

Any questions - just ask away.
' _ '