AuthorTopic: Light outside corridor BG ~Outer ruins~ [FINISHED??]  (Read 13312 times)

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Re: Light outside corridor BG ~Outer ruins~ [WIP]

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:24:00 am

Enhanced the shadows on the floor, shaded the top a bit more. Wondering if I should have; I initially imagined it being a bit more clean than this.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 02:08:28 pm
Right now there is a LOT of ambient light in this image - by ambient light I mean it has no source, it's just there. If the primary light is coming from outside, the side of the pillars facing us should be in shade and they should in turn be casting shadows on the ground.

Areas in the shade should be much lower contrast than areas in direct light. Shadows work differently when there are different amounts of light available. Look at how subtle the details are in the shadowed areas here.

I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 04:41:04 pm
Can you explain where you're seeing ambient lighting? Because the only spots that I can see any are possibly the light coming up from the arcade (the light shouldn't be going up that much?), and the tiles on the floor. The shadows are lower contrast than the light areas, its just that they are contrasted with eachother (as shown in that image)~
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:48:00 pm by Gizmonicgamer »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 05:25:23 pm
Just a quick edit:

Don't put black outlines when you want something to look like its glowing.
The lack of shadows makes it just look like there's a white patch on the other side of the pillars.

Hope it helps!

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 08:13:36 pm
You probably did this before, but in case not, check some refs of cloisters:
http://images.google.fr/images?hl=fr&source=hp&q=cloitre&btnG=Recherche+d%27images&gbv=1

Some have strong direct sunlight, some not (either because of weather, north-facing side, night).

What Ben2theEdge calls 'ambient light' is diffuse light, with 2 possible sources: the sky + reflected light from the ground and walls.
They can be noticeably distinct, mainly by their color as can be seen in some images.

I agree with CrazyMLC about the outlines, though it may depend on your bg.

The arches look weirdly irregular, in a not too realistic way (esp since the columns are very straight).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch

The keystones look like they recess into the arch (probably a by-product of your circle line): this never happens, they should either be level or project inside.
The stones and joints look much better on the columns than arches.

The paving repeats with a too short interval (at least some elements), and it looks sideways. Maybe this is intentional, but it doesn't fit with the arches.

Offline TVboyCanti

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 01:30:29 am
You still haven't fixed the black outlines on your backlit pillars, nor have you added the shadows that they should be casting, the two things everyone keeps telling you to change.

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 08:02:07 am
You still haven't fixed the black outlines on your backlit pillars, nor have you added the shadows that they should be casting, the two things everyone keeps telling you to change.
As I alluded too before, the outlines stay until a background is determined or completed to a reasonable extent. That's the primary reason they exist in the first place.

Shadows existed behind the pillars, they were just more subtle than I would have liked and did not extend to the brickwork which exists underneath the platform.

Anyway thanks for the comments; I updated it and I think I ended up at least slightly addressing most of the points people brought up.
I tried to neaten out the arch itself somewhat, i strengthened the shadows behind the pillars (although they feel too... angled?)

although I did forget to address the keystone issue that Manupix brought up, I intend on dealing with that soon

probably the two main things that are bugging me now is that it feels as if the openings are too small in relation to the amount of standard dark wallspace and that the "darkness" is suffocating the light
and the angle of the shadows on the bricks

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 06:10:52 am

Added some differentiation, finished the main foreground and started on the background (after shifting around some ideas).

Looks pretty okay now, I think. Background still isn't entirely finished so I'm still playing with the outline on the pillars.

EDIT:

Tried finishing the background; upped the lighting/contrast to make it seem more exaggerated as the foreground pillars would suggest but it still doesn't really seem quite right.

C+C?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 03:53:23 am by Gizmonicgamer »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Light outside corridor BG ~Outer ruins~ [FINISHED??]

Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 09:47:07 pm
It may just be me, but I don't know what you could be dissatisfied with. I've noticed that you make a lot of little changes way past the time when changes actually "mattered".
Something that applies to all art forms is that there is a time when you just need to move on.

If you want that next gen "bloom" effect, then you will want to get rid of all outlines of the foreground pillars and replace them with light.

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Re: Light outside corridor BG ~Outer ruins~ [FINISHED??]

Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 11:58:51 pm
Thanks!  ;D
I can be a little bit too "perfectionist" with my stuff, yeah, it can be a bit bothersome sometimes. But other times its very helpful, so I tend to just roll with it usually. I should probably try and tone it down though. I remember when I first finished the background I was freaking out because I was used to just the white and it looked too "cluttered". I think sometimes I just need to finish and do something else for a while.

It was probably the really light "easter" like effect that the colors had that I was dissatisfied with, so I tried fixing that.

I altered the colors and while I'll probably play with the saturation (its a little saturated for the game at the moment) a little bit later on when I have more done for the game its basically "done" now. As far as "bloom" goes I was planning on having a lighting effect behind the pillars, like rays of sunshine or something.  But thats going to be done in-game. At this point I'm putting it down, unless anyone else have some valid criticism or things they'd like to bring up in which case I might try fixing that.

Thanks for the comment, Ryumaru. Nice to see a familiar face, too; I haven't seen you since you stopped going to PT.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 12:03:33 am by Gizmonicgamer »