AuthorTopic: Modern Tiles.  (Read 6803 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Re: Modern Tiles.

Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 08:27:23 pm
(I see this thread already has an annoying amount of drama in it already, which I haven't bothered to makes sense of. I see images, though . . . )

The water towers - You haven't even tried yet.
At least flood some color in there, detail it a bit, and then post the failure here for inspection and comment. By posting mere lineart you're just asking us to do it for you.

The supports below seem odd - wouldn't the beams, as they are, be far weaked than if the outer beams were straight? They just seem outa proportionalness. The tank isn't round, I see 3 flat facets, not a round surface. I assume you want a cylinder there.

Flood in some color. Apply some basic lighting. Think about what material each part is made of and detail accordingly. Do so with straight plastic perfection. THEN go back and add some grunge - rust drippy stains, scuffs, dents. The details are the fun part, IMO.

Yeah I just got stuck with the shading.  I haven't really done anything like this before (metal, rust kind of texture)   thought someone might be able to explain it in a sentence, or give me a link to a tutorial about this kind of shading/texture.  Even what you just said helped a little bit.  I will do my best this weekend and repost it, thanks.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 05:13:06 am
Sure thing. You may not have seen CG textures yet. Tons of reference to look at. Go to "Metal" using the left-side navigation.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 11:54:45 pm
So I put the water tower on hold for a bit.  Instead I made a rowboat (side view)

Let me know what you think.

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 02:01:20 am
I believe your best bet is to stick with one thing at a time. If you keep trying to make more than one thing at a time you can lose focus very easily. One thing at a time :P, take the crits everyone is posting up here and actually utilize them... People aren't going to want to critique anything if you don't use them to your advantage.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 07:17:11 am
I believe your best bet is to stick with one thing at a time. If you keep trying to make more than one thing at a time you can lose focus very easily. One thing at a time :P, take the crits everyone is posting up here and actually utilize them... People aren't going to want to critique anything if you don't use them to your advantage.

I'm listening to everything that's been said.  Some of it has helped me quite a bit. 
C/C on the boat please : )