AuthorTopic: Modern Tiles.  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Modern Tiles.

on: November 19, 2009, 01:10:13 am

So I've been working on these modern tiles the past couple of weeks.  Decided to tile some stuff together in paint to see how it looks. and now I decided I want to take a break from tiling and review/touch up what I've got so far.

So !  
-tell me what you like, what you don't like.
-tips/tricks
-and please Feel free to edit some of it if you like.  I always seem to learn the best from looking at other peoples edits.

cheers
-luke
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:12:26 am by Luke »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Modern Tiles.

Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 02:55:00 pm

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:17:14 pm
You guys need to take it easy on this  whole "stolen pixel witch hunt"  Not everything is malicious intent.
Do you really think I was trying to get away with something ? The edits were made on this exact same site lol, I don't think you guys are that stupid.

Either way yes I can see your point, and I should have had a disclaimer: I HAD HELP CREATING THE RED BRICK TILE AND RED BRICK ARCH TILE.
So yeah, I can see how posting it here with out a disclaimer is pretty much taking credit for it, but that was not my intent, I'm just not as active in the pixel art community and didn't realize how careful one needs to be about these kinds of things.

So, if you guys can find it in the bottom of your hears to forgive me I'd still like to get some C/C on everything.
Oh and by the way: Everything Other Than The Red Brick Arch And Red Brick Tile Was Made By Myself And Myself Only

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:06:29 am
You guys need to take it easy on this  whole "stolen pixel witch hunt"  Not everything is malicious intent.
Do you really think I was trying to get away with something ? The edits were made on this exact same site lol, I don't think you guys are that stupid.

Either way yes I can see your point, and I should have had a disclaimer: I HAD HELP CREATING THE RED BRICK TILE AND RED BRICK ARCH TILE.
So yeah, I can see how posting it here with out a disclaimer is pretty much taking credit for it, but that was not my intent, I'm just not as active in the pixel art community and didn't realize how careful one needs to be about these kinds of things.

So, if you guys can find it in the bottom of your hears to forgive me I'd still like to get some C/C on everything.
Oh and by the way: Everything Other Than The Red Brick Arch And Red Brick Tile Was Made By Myself And Myself Only

Hey, no reason to be aggressive... in fact, not much of a right too. If your going to steal something don't get angry when you get caught. Did you ask permission of the person that made those tiles? Why not make your own arch and red brick tiles or at least use the original ones that were yours (if you are indeed Lucas :P)... No point in someone making edits or offering you advice if you are not even going to use your own art. And yes, I understand that some of it IS yours.... people here have a very strict moral viewpoint about theft of artwork, especially because it is just so easy to take a sprite, tack some colors and pixels on it, and pass it off as your own. It is my suggestion that you ditch the edit and put your own up, no matter how much better you think the one that isn't yours is. Edits are made to help you improve, not to steal or pass off as your own... now lets hope you read the whole post lol :D

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 12:14:41 am
Arrgh dude, just chill goddamnit. Someone asks if you've stolen stuff, of course others are gonna try to put pressure on you. We'll chill, you'll chill, but don't expect us to chill BEFORE you've explained yourself.

Sure, luke is a variant of lucas but it's still not even clear that you're the one who made the original. Also, using someone's edit for your own purposes isn't good practice! How do we know that's not your intention before you've said it? Noone here is a mind-reader. Anyways if we all chill about it I'll let it slip. If you continue to make a ruckus about it I'll give you a strike.

Also going to delete all posts except for gil's, since they're mostly speculation and one-liners.
' _ '

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 12:39:28 am
Jesus Christ....  I didn't steal anything first of all, Second, My intentions were not to try and take credit for another persons work even if it may seem that way. The Image I posted was made for my own enjoyment until I decided to post it here without realizing It had someone else's stuff in it. If you cant get over that, then I'm sorry I've offended you, but please stop derailing the shit out of my thread.  I didn't come here to try and impress people with stolen tiles, I really just want to learn from the criticisms and comments people might have for the 99.9% of those graphics that were made by myself.
If I had more time, I'd sit here and argue the technicalities of pixel theft with you, but I don't. :(

Moving on...
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/953/exampler.png

I just tiled up a balcony for my apartment tiles (far right), Didn't really have the  time to finish it now, but I thought I'd throw it out there, maybe give me some ideas.

Edit: this was directed at Pexelized.  Delete it if you must : (
Oh yeah and I'm willing to chill now Jad !
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:46:29 am by Luke »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:00:55 am
My reasons for that post:

1) Your nick is Luke, not Lucas, I didn't know you had multiple accounts
2) Even if you are also Lucas, the red brick tiles were made by someone else, not you
3) People will not be editing and helping you out if they realise you might just take their edits and pass it off as your own work

I'd drop the red brick tiles as they don't really fit in with the rest of your tiles anyway, they're obviously another style and quality.

The bookcases and windows are very very dark and hard to read, try to lighten everything up a little. Also, since this is topdown view is used, the windows would reflect the floor, not the sky. Windows only reflect the sky if you're looking upwards, not downwards.

I'd edit to show you what I mean, but... yeah ::)

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 02:05:55 am
Sorry if I offended you, was just trying to say that you might be in a lil trouble :P

Anyways, on to the art, I am not sure that the balcony or the roof is in the right perspective. While everything else looks like a profile view that have been skewed to look like a top down view, the balconies and roofs of the buildings look like a true top down view. Not sure if I am nailing it or not, but something about the perspective is off. On a good note, everything is well detailed and easily readable. I especially like the cardboard boxes and the bookcases, lots of detail without getting lost in it. Good job :D

Once again, sorry for accusing you of theft, I jumped the gun a bit. Not trying to be rude or piss ya off, just trying to help :P

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:16:37 am

So I started working on this for like the last half hour... I'm having a bit of trouble with it and went searching for tutorials but couldn't find anything helpful.
It's supposed to be one of those old school water tower things you see on top of old buildings. 
Anyways, I realize I'm having some perspective issues, that I can fix.  But I'm having trouble with the shading,texture,color selection.
Wanted to give it a dark, dirty, rusty, metallic kind of look, while still keeping that cartoon/comic book feel.
Any Ideas ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 04:23:50 am by Luke »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 05:14:25 am
(I see this thread already has an annoying amount of drama in it already, which I haven't bothered to makes sense of. I see images, though . . . )

The water towers - You haven't even tried yet.
At least flood some color in there, detail it a bit, and then post the failure here for inspection and comment. By posting mere lineart you're just asking us to do it for you.

The supports below seem odd - wouldn't the beams, as they are, be far weaked than if the outer beams were straight? They just seem outa proportionalness. The tank isn't round, I see 3 flat facets, not a round surface. I assume you want a cylinder there.

Flood in some color. Apply some basic lighting. Think about what material each part is made of and detail accordingly. Do so with straight plastic perfection. THEN go back and add some grunge - rust drippy stains, scuffs, dents. The details are the fun part, IMO.