AuthorTopic: [Novice Pixel Art]  (Read 31055 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: [Novice Pixel Art]

Reply #90 on: November 20, 2009, 02:11:43 am
I'd say Pixelation does have a certain entry level. The entry level is not based on art skills, but the expectation that the new member is able to evolve his art based on process of art critique and examples. The original poster received critique and workflow examples, but wasn't able to use these as a tool to better his art yet, so we can sugar coat it all you want, fortunato, it's just not going to work (yet).

I approve of micintexp's decision to further his studies in traditional art first

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #91 on: November 20, 2009, 02:13:34 am
I don't think he's sugar-coating anything, and I certainly think there's been progress in this thread. Fortunato, I am not in disagreement with what you say at all. Encouragement is certainly needed in the critique process.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #92 on: November 20, 2009, 02:20:24 am
I was just pointing out that extra encouragement wasn't really going to help in terms of getting micintexp improve more, though I obviously agree that encouragement is a valid part of art critique (and has been in the Pixelation codex of proper critique since the beginning of the forum too).

I don't necessarily agree with what fortunato is saying, just pointing out that it won't actually help micintexp to improve. Encouragement does exactly that, it encourages the poster to continue bettering the work. It doesn't improve the usefulness of the critique itself if it can't be properly understood yet.

I'm sure micintexp will eventually get it though, since he's shown that he is actually looking for references, has a notion about what volume is and how it works.

Am I making sense?

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #93 on: November 20, 2009, 05:20:13 am
word. you are gil dont worry. now im no mod but i think maybe its time for us to let this one go... this is a tense thread
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:24:56 am by fortunato »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #94 on: November 20, 2009, 10:09:57 am
I must apologize before it's closed.

I agree with Helm, I expressed myself a little wrong when I said art schools are shit, I'm just saying that certain projects at that kind of school can be limiting yourself but that really depends on the school and teachers and stuff...

:)
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #95 on: November 20, 2009, 07:53:25 pm
As per micintexp's personal request I'll close this thread.

Good feedback, everyone, even though the atmosphere did get a bit tense!

micintexp, good luck with your art practice. With the tenacity and devotion you've shown you'll do fine.
' _ '