Poll

Would you be interested in a Pixelation Blog?

Yes
25 (52.1%)
No
11 (22.9%)
Depends
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

AuthorTopic: Pixelation Blog [Opinions needed!]  (Read 17950 times)

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Pixelation Blog [Opinions needed!]

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 03:52:08 pm
<rant>

While I guess this can't hurt (if we disregard the time invested), I don't really see it being in the 'spirit' of pix, excuse the bullshit concept. Pixelation never was intended to lure casual fans of pixel art.
The news box already covers new stuff, and if certain threads are deemed important enough to have a frontpage link, they are put in the news box as well.

I don't want to be a sceptic, but I kind of like how everything in pix is treated equally. What would be 'blog-worthy' then? What would be the first thing you see when you come here? I personally don't think that 'news from the pixel world' deserve this kind of focus. Why not just have a thread with such information? Or a blog?

Would it make the front page prettier? Probably.
Would it be useful? Hardly.

</rant>

EDIT:
After carefully reading the rest of the thread (duh!), I've come to find that most if not all of what I've written was already said before.
-1 or something, then.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:01:31 pm by ilkke »
i

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 05:57:24 pm
I think we should also eventually talk about changes in pixelation that will urge people to delurk. We're already planning a change where if a post is helpful to you (either because it is your own art that's being critiqued or it's not and you just learned from it) you can mark it and then the thread will show and the posts with thanks will read "user)s) named ________, ________, _________ found this post helpful!" which I think will encourage critique. But how can we get more readers-only to participate?

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 06:09:26 pm
Me being mostly a lurker lies more in that I don't practice pixel art anymore rather than this board has nothing good to offer in that area, I read the threads to check out what people are doing, what challenges are up, etc. If I had more time on my hands it might be different, but myself I wouldn't say it's something Pixelation is doing wrong, rather that Pix is doing it right, since I'm still a reader even though I'm not practicing the art.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 06:33:40 pm
I know I'm gonna sound like a jerk for saying it but I think the most beneficial change for Pixelation would be an age restriction. Youngsters (as in pre-teens) should be encouraged in improving their skills but I don't think this place is the best catalyst for that.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 06:38:44 pm
I totally agree with you Ben, if it was after me everyone below 16 would be banned from the internet.
Tho there is not really a way to enforce this rule, other than have everyone who registers sent me a copy of their id card or something.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 07:41:52 pm
it seems the jist of people who disagree with the idea think there's simply not enough content to post.  I can see that being a concern and we talked about this a bit several months back in the mod forum.  The solution would be to focus mainly on highlighting noteworthy threads in the forum (news box only covers activities and the very occasional featured thread), and articles/tutorials written by people in the industry etc.  Pixel art "news" per say, wouldn't be much, but still would be there when they exist.

the idea of having the frontpage archive certain things appeals to me as well - such as all the final images of the collabs and activities, and some really great thread collections such as "goblins of the industry"

All in all, I hear the concerns.  I'm really glad this poll was posted.  I'm loving all the feedback so far.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:00 pm
Hm!

Poll says 'LET'S BLOG'

Those who voice an opinion with arguments say 'LET'S NOT' : D heh

I say DEPENDS!

I love the idea a million but I'm having a hard time seeing it take off - seeing as everything with pixelation has been slowing down at a steady pace (see the board activity thread) I feel a blog would probably also follow that development and eventually start updating things at a snail's pace. Which would make the forum feel even more dead D:

Nah I feel we should, like helm says, think about measures for making people and ourselves unlurk more, and .. get the activity curve go upwards somehow! I feel that if we manage to make that happen then I'd be all for it. When pixelation spirit starts to burn a bit and you can feel the power of the members and the ACTIVITY somehow, that's when a blog is needed to utilize that energy and show it.

Right now .. D: I'm interested but not for it.

Also I should do an activity lol I'm a mod @n@
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:52:31 am by Jad »
' _ '

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 08:53:41 pm
Hmm.. I'll have to vote in agreement with what seems to be the minority in so much as I really don't think there's enough to update a blog style front page regularly enough for me or many others to want to bookmark that instead of the forum index. Just how many pixel-related 'events' occur? How many millions of new tutorials are there that need blogging about?

The novelty of something new... something to take part in designing is all well and good and probably stirs up a lot of eager anticipation, but I can't see it really being all that worth it in the long run.

As for the employment section being moved there, I kind of like the fact that new posts show up while I'm browsing the pixel art areas. I feel if it was removed to a not-so-updated blog area a lot of the keen pixellers might not notice things there.

I totally agree with you Ben, if it was after me everyone below 16 would be banned from the internet.

Heh.. we have (over the years) had some very good young pixellers. Though I will agree that the better ones are seriously in the minority. 'Dave' rings a bell to name one (if anyone remembers his stuff)

I think we should also eventually talk about changes in pixelation that will urge people to delurk. We're already planning a change where if a post is helpful to you (either because it is your own art that's being critiqued or it's not and you just learned from it) you can mark it and then the thread will show and the posts with thanks will read "user)s) named ________, ________, _________ found this post helpful!" which I think will encourage critique. But how can we get more readers-only to participate?

I love the idea of Tom, Dick and Sally found this comment useful (or whatever) and I'd love to see something like that integrated more on the site - like 'Karma' points or something that get shown next to your avatar when enough people have found enough of your comments useful. Equally there should be a 'karma reduction' when people find your comments ludicrous or very misguided. Apart from anything else, it gives newcomers a good idea of how much they should pay attention to the different people commenting - especially when comments oppose each other in some way.

Encouraging readers only... hmm you mean to crit or actually post art?

One thing that pops into my mind are some extra challenges more aimed at the (sorry) n00bs. (I don't necessarily mean n00b as in crap at pixel art, I just mean 'n00b' to here and lacking confidence). How about, for instance an 'edit' challenge. Throw up a simple sprite and let them have a go trying to spot various deliberate n00b errors in it and attempt to fix it. It should be encouraged that the better pixellers don't participate in things that are aimed below them, as their edits will likely make others feel inferior and incapable of posting something so well edited. However, after a given period, its a kind of free-for all and the better pixellers can then chip in and show how the job could have been done better. I seem to be rambling at this point while trying to get the idea across in a meaningful way.. but perhaps you get my meaning. Most of the current challenges are/have been a little too involving or difficult for newcomers, and usually a really good piece by someone will scare someone out of taking part.

Another option would be to have 'hidden submissions' to a challenge (similar in some ways to the hex collab) There was nothing visible by others to really deter you or 'raise the expectations' of you when taking part. Again, after a given period, all the entries are shown.

Hmm.. anyway.. all that's a bit off the original topic which was about a blog front desk. But I think there are other things that could be perhaps better addressed rather than something that really will just be a flavour of the month novelty in my opinion.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 09:09:43 pm
Youngsters (as in pre-teens) should be encouraged in improving their skills but I don't think this place is the best catalyst for that.

I think this place is the best catalyst for that.  Show me another place where you can receive constructive feedback from the people you idolize.  I remember feeling very special if say, someone like st0ven or Peppermint Pig would comment and critique in my threads back in the day.  These kinds of posts--"omg, they're talking to ME :O, of all people"--pushed me to grow and get better.

Edit:
They still do, actually.  ::)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 09:21:58 pm
I'm still for the idea, but after reading all these posts I'm going to have say it shouldn't be pixelation's homepage.

I think Helm's idea of a thank-system would help well, too. I'm eager to see that, because it would most likely encourage better critique.

I also think more activities and challenges would boost the activity. I can sort of see that when there were things like the 'old remastered challenge,' 'Pixelator,' and the 'Mockup Frenzies', more people posted and felt involved in the community. I think the Hex collab helped boost that involved feeling a bit, but I think if we did more things like the Mockup Frenzies and other casual things, people could show off creativity and also be encouraged to make art. Some newer users sometimes feel intimidated to post (I know I did at first!) but I think participating in fun activities would help them learn about the community and also get to know some of the members through a process that would help them with their artistic talents.

All in all, I think Pixelation just needs a bit of a boost. It's a great forum, just at some points it feels inactive and not every thread receives as much feedback as the artist might want. If more people were encouraged to post and be active, I think this feeling could be reduced to a minimum. Bring the community together! ;)