Poll

Would you be interested in a Pixelation Blog?

Yes
25 (52.1%)
No
11 (22.9%)
Depends
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

AuthorTopic: Pixelation Blog [Opinions needed!]  (Read 17943 times)

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelation Blog [Opinions needed!]

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 12:29:17 pm
o_o wow I'm the only person who voted 'no'. To me this just seems very unnecessary.

All I think is needed is an archive of the news box section. But I don't see the point of an actual blog.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 01:32:29 pm
It did originally surprise me that there was no 'front page', but I don't think I'd look at it much now as I check new posts anywawy. So as I understand it, it wouldn't add anything for me personally, but it would probably good for casual lurkers.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 01:33:46 pm
Casual lurkers is not what this forum is about tho.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 02:05:05 pm
The part that I find attractive about the idea is not really the advertisement of threads on the forum, but rather the "major news, tutorials, articles, or other pixel related things". I think it would be nice to have some more general pixel ramblings and tutorials, rather than the focussed critique. It would probably draw in more new artists if the site had a front end.

As for submissions maybe there could be a sub forum/thread dedicated to articles where users could pitch ideas or submit articles. Then finished pieces could be picked by mods to be posted.

The whole idea seems similar to the general discussion forum, just a bit more organised with extra incentive for posting theory and whatnot.

So my answer is yes, but I don't think it's necessary.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 02:19:33 pm
I think the effort might be better spent within the forum, like on activities and such, and that the news box already does a good job of pointing out threads of note. It would have made more sense if we didn't have PJ for gallery purposes and if Pixelation had been a big board with enough posts and subforums to be difficult to navigate. It's not a bad idea, and has been done nicely elsewhere, I just don't think the benefit is that great here.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 02:29:21 pm
Also what *are* these major pixel art news that such a blog would be covering, really?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 02:41:12 pm
Yeah, I think this would be neat if there were a lot of pixel art news around that just never gets collected anywhere, but I feel like it'd end up mostly being posts of the latest music video that uses pixel art

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 02:42:03 pm
I voted no, I don't comment much on the posts in the forums, but I read all the new posts. The only thing I can come up with that would make it worthwhile going to a "front page blog thing" for would be to find content that doesn't exist in the forums, and, well, why not just post that stuff in the forums instead?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:09 pm
I really dont see the need for this at all, I think if pixelart blogs havent emerged spontaneously that means that this really doesnt have any use at all. A Pixelart Blog sounds cool so people vote for it, but what they dont realize is that there's just not enough material to fill it with, it's not even like the forum is big enough that we have to report the important stuff so that it doesnt get lost in the mix (like conceptart does)

Maybe whoever came up with the idea can try making an unofficial blog on it's own, and it if it actually becomes something that the comunity cherishes and needs we can make it the pxtion blog?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 03:11:38 pm
All I think is needed is an archive of the news box section. But I don't see the point of an actual blog.

This does already exist, just making sure it's known - NEWS BOX BANNERS

What up, Dan!

I'd rather the homepage remain the same. I might lean more towards this concept if there was just a link to it somewhere prominent on the front page, probably in the top title bar with 'user info' and 'news box'. But changing the homepage? That nearly repurposes our beloved pixelation - is it a blog or a critique forum, primarily? The blog is just an appendage, why prioritize it over the forum, the true reason for pixelation . ?

-Who decides what's "noteworthy" enough for the blog? For instance, Darien doesn't care to see music videos using pixel art, nor do I really, though they can be neat, they don't seem like appropriate pixelation blog material. I'm more concerned with pixel art community concerned topics, strides made in pixel art, contraversy surrounding pixel art, etc.

-PJ already has a "blog" integrated into the front page and it's quite seamlessly done, no subdomain necessary. Things might even get double coverage between the PJ and Pixelation blogs.

-How is the new pixelation brat-pack member list determined - those that can post in the blog? We know how PJ handles it - anyone can submit news, which is then filtered by mods and posted up, or not. I doubt I merit, or really want to, have a membership ion the group but I still may have something I think is good enough for people to read/see every now and then.

-Blogs grow cold very fast. This will require frequent relevant updates. Are we prepared for that?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:17:46 pm by Mathias »