Poll

Would you be interested in a Pixelation Blog?

Yes
25 (52.1%)
No
11 (22.9%)
Depends
12 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 48

AuthorTopic: Pixelation Blog [Opinions needed!]  (Read 17944 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Pixelation Blog [Opinions needed!]

on: November 17, 2009, 02:48:46 am
Hello, this has been an idea discussed for quite a while in the mod forum with varying opinions.  I thought I'd get the member's opinions as well.  The idea is to have a blog, or "frontpage" type place for pixelation - where noteworthy posts are mentioned, major news, tutorials, articles, or other pixel related things are posted.  Possibly the employment services of this forum could be moved to the "frontpage" area to keep the forum completely for constructive artist feedback.

so I ask you - would this be an idea you would be interested in?  Discuss why you think so and any other ideas/comments/concerns you may have about it.

An early sample of the site can be viewed here:
http://www.danfessler.com/pixelation

EDIT:
it seems the jist of people who disagree with the idea think there's simply not enough content to post.  I can see that being a concern and we talked about this a bit several months back in the mod forum.  The solution would be to focus mainly on highlighting noteworthy threads in the forum (news box only covers activities and the very occasional featured thread), and articles/tutorials written by people in the industry etc.  Pixel art "news" per say, wouldn't be much, but still would be there when they exist.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:49:09 pm by Indigo »

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Re: Pixelation Blog [Opinions needed!]

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:06:08 am
Sounds like a wonderful idea.  I vote yes.  :y:

EDIT:

Also, if the example in your post is what it will look like, there's lots of room for more stuff in the sidebars.  It would be an excellent opportunity to maybe set aside some space for advertisements.  If the income from such advertising was enough, it could, in turn, be used to pay for Pixelation side image hosting.  I was going to make a thread to talk about it, but this seems like the right time to say something--link rot.  When you look through some of the older threads, you see real bad cases of image hosts no longer hosting pictures.  This sucks because it's a decay that is destroying resources for pixel artists to learn from.  If Pixelation offered to host its poster's images, this could be prevented.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:24:54 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 03:09:30 am
Oh hey, I was talking to ptoing about this a while back.

It's a great idea, I think it'd be useful to display the truly important threads and keep things that have priority on top.

It'd also be a good place to post news about pixel artists who are actively involved in the industry, interesting tid-bits about pixel art (and maybe regular art, who knows.)

Though a member system should be required, because guest posting doesn't always work well. Either way, looking nice, hope to see this turn into something! :)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 04:47:49 am
i would frequent this blog so hard

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 05:55:07 am
I for one are not 100% convinced we need this at all. For one it is extra work. Also I would be against general members posting stuff, but there could be a special new group with permissions I guess.
Also not sure about comments on the frontpage would be a good thing, but if so, no guests.

And lastly, if this is to go ahead I would want it to use some established blogging software such Wordpress (preferably). This is mainly for reasons of updatability, security and maintenance.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:08:57 am
Yeah this sounds really sweet providing it's regularly tended too. It would be really nice to hear about the pixel art world or anything mildly related since there isn't really anywhere that gathers this kind of stuff, from what I've seen anyways.

I think it would be really neat to hear about what some of the people in the working world are doing, maybe an interview or something?
Some coverage on games with pixel art in them.
Commercial critiques and deconstructions.
Tutorials.
Art shows related to pixel art.
Pixel art found outside of the confines of the computer, like graffiti or... crochet or something.
Pixel piece spotlight.
Rants.
I guess anything really that can harken back to pixel art in some form.

I agree that just anyone shouldn't be able to post, maybe have a screening process of what people want to submit to the front page? Or only administrators or people chosen specifically.

I dunno, I know I would browse it often, I mean I come to the forums everyday so a little extra something would be peachy. I really look forward to this!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:10:46 am by Jakten »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:07 am
Ptoing.  I agree with you that our community certainly doesn't "need" this.  This is a solid community without it..  But the question is if this would be wanted by the people i think - if people would find this service useful.   I agree both with not allowing general users to post stuff as well as no guest comments.

as for using wordpress or something of the sorts - I'd rather not for two reasons.  Firstly, SMF has great documentation for implementing the user database from this forum into your own websites - thus all security would still be handled by SMF software.  If i were to use wordpress or something similar, I would not be able to link the user databases most likely.  And secondly - hand writing the site would allow for complete customization and room to grow.  Things such as job postings I'd like to be custom made.

You are right that it is extra work, and that is something that's easily solved.  If we need more helping hands (if only just for this frontend) then so be it, not a big deal.  As discussed in the mod thread I'd probably be doing the bulk of the maintenance, but we can cross that bridge when we get there.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:50:49 am by Indigo »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:57:11 am
This would be very cool if it was nicely integrated to the forum as a whole, if it was regularly updated (as opposed to the news box) and if the images were much bigger and splashier, since it makes browsing much more fun.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 07:14:31 am
Lol Dan :)

Yes very good idea, saves me work ;) right?

A question, would there be some sort of Gallery?
Or possibly create a similar system like conceptart.org (which I don't really support, very confusing with that big messy threads)

Are you also trying to involve your idea about the portfolio stuff we talked about?
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 07:22:32 am
no, there wouldn't be a gallery - we'll leave that to pixeljoint.  Pixelation is more about constructive feedback on art, and i'm sure all the moderators agree that we'd like to maintain that.

as for the idea of portfolio hosting, That is not something planned for in the immediate sense, but could possibly come to be.. it just means more cost for web hosting, and we can't afford that right now.  The main thing in question here is the blog.

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 12:29:17 pm
o_o wow I'm the only person who voted 'no'. To me this just seems very unnecessary.

All I think is needed is an archive of the news box section. But I don't see the point of an actual blog.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 01:32:29 pm
It did originally surprise me that there was no 'front page', but I don't think I'd look at it much now as I check new posts anywawy. So as I understand it, it wouldn't add anything for me personally, but it would probably good for casual lurkers.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 01:33:46 pm
Casual lurkers is not what this forum is about tho.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 02:05:05 pm
The part that I find attractive about the idea is not really the advertisement of threads on the forum, but rather the "major news, tutorials, articles, or other pixel related things". I think it would be nice to have some more general pixel ramblings and tutorials, rather than the focussed critique. It would probably draw in more new artists if the site had a front end.

As for submissions maybe there could be a sub forum/thread dedicated to articles where users could pitch ideas or submit articles. Then finished pieces could be picked by mods to be posted.

The whole idea seems similar to the general discussion forum, just a bit more organised with extra incentive for posting theory and whatnot.

So my answer is yes, but I don't think it's necessary.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 02:19:33 pm
I think the effort might be better spent within the forum, like on activities and such, and that the news box already does a good job of pointing out threads of note. It would have made more sense if we didn't have PJ for gallery purposes and if Pixelation had been a big board with enough posts and subforums to be difficult to navigate. It's not a bad idea, and has been done nicely elsewhere, I just don't think the benefit is that great here.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 02:29:21 pm
Also what *are* these major pixel art news that such a blog would be covering, really?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 02:41:12 pm
Yeah, I think this would be neat if there were a lot of pixel art news around that just never gets collected anywhere, but I feel like it'd end up mostly being posts of the latest music video that uses pixel art

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 02:42:03 pm
I voted no, I don't comment much on the posts in the forums, but I read all the new posts. The only thing I can come up with that would make it worthwhile going to a "front page blog thing" for would be to find content that doesn't exist in the forums, and, well, why not just post that stuff in the forums instead?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 02:59:09 pm
I really dont see the need for this at all, I think if pixelart blogs havent emerged spontaneously that means that this really doesnt have any use at all. A Pixelart Blog sounds cool so people vote for it, but what they dont realize is that there's just not enough material to fill it with, it's not even like the forum is big enough that we have to report the important stuff so that it doesnt get lost in the mix (like conceptart does)

Maybe whoever came up with the idea can try making an unofficial blog on it's own, and it if it actually becomes something that the comunity cherishes and needs we can make it the pxtion blog?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 03:11:38 pm
All I think is needed is an archive of the news box section. But I don't see the point of an actual blog.

This does already exist, just making sure it's known - NEWS BOX BANNERS

What up, Dan!

I'd rather the homepage remain the same. I might lean more towards this concept if there was just a link to it somewhere prominent on the front page, probably in the top title bar with 'user info' and 'news box'. But changing the homepage? That nearly repurposes our beloved pixelation - is it a blog or a critique forum, primarily? The blog is just an appendage, why prioritize it over the forum, the true reason for pixelation . ?

-Who decides what's "noteworthy" enough for the blog? For instance, Darien doesn't care to see music videos using pixel art, nor do I really, though they can be neat, they don't seem like appropriate pixelation blog material. I'm more concerned with pixel art community concerned topics, strides made in pixel art, contraversy surrounding pixel art, etc.

-PJ already has a "blog" integrated into the front page and it's quite seamlessly done, no subdomain necessary. Things might even get double coverage between the PJ and Pixelation blogs.

-How is the new pixelation brat-pack member list determined - those that can post in the blog? We know how PJ handles it - anyone can submit news, which is then filtered by mods and posted up, or not. I doubt I merit, or really want to, have a membership ion the group but I still may have something I think is good enough for people to read/see every now and then.

-Blogs grow cold very fast. This will require frequent relevant updates. Are we prepared for that?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 03:17:46 pm by Mathias »

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 03:52:08 pm
<rant>

While I guess this can't hurt (if we disregard the time invested), I don't really see it being in the 'spirit' of pix, excuse the bullshit concept. Pixelation never was intended to lure casual fans of pixel art.
The news box already covers new stuff, and if certain threads are deemed important enough to have a frontpage link, they are put in the news box as well.

I don't want to be a sceptic, but I kind of like how everything in pix is treated equally. What would be 'blog-worthy' then? What would be the first thing you see when you come here? I personally don't think that 'news from the pixel world' deserve this kind of focus. Why not just have a thread with such information? Or a blog?

Would it make the front page prettier? Probably.
Would it be useful? Hardly.

</rant>

EDIT:
After carefully reading the rest of the thread (duh!), I've come to find that most if not all of what I've written was already said before.
-1 or something, then.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:01:31 pm by ilkke »
i

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 05:57:24 pm
I think we should also eventually talk about changes in pixelation that will urge people to delurk. We're already planning a change where if a post is helpful to you (either because it is your own art that's being critiqued or it's not and you just learned from it) you can mark it and then the thread will show and the posts with thanks will read "user)s) named ________, ________, _________ found this post helpful!" which I think will encourage critique. But how can we get more readers-only to participate?

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 06:09:26 pm
Me being mostly a lurker lies more in that I don't practice pixel art anymore rather than this board has nothing good to offer in that area, I read the threads to check out what people are doing, what challenges are up, etc. If I had more time on my hands it might be different, but myself I wouldn't say it's something Pixelation is doing wrong, rather that Pix is doing it right, since I'm still a reader even though I'm not practicing the art.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 06:33:40 pm
I know I'm gonna sound like a jerk for saying it but I think the most beneficial change for Pixelation would be an age restriction. Youngsters (as in pre-teens) should be encouraged in improving their skills but I don't think this place is the best catalyst for that.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 17, 2009, 06:38:44 pm
I totally agree with you Ben, if it was after me everyone below 16 would be banned from the internet.
Tho there is not really a way to enforce this rule, other than have everyone who registers sent me a copy of their id card or something.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #25 on: November 17, 2009, 07:41:52 pm
it seems the jist of people who disagree with the idea think there's simply not enough content to post.  I can see that being a concern and we talked about this a bit several months back in the mod forum.  The solution would be to focus mainly on highlighting noteworthy threads in the forum (news box only covers activities and the very occasional featured thread), and articles/tutorials written by people in the industry etc.  Pixel art "news" per say, wouldn't be much, but still would be there when they exist.

the idea of having the frontpage archive certain things appeals to me as well - such as all the final images of the collabs and activities, and some really great thread collections such as "goblins of the industry"

All in all, I hear the concerns.  I'm really glad this poll was posted.  I'm loving all the feedback so far.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:00 pm
Hm!

Poll says 'LET'S BLOG'

Those who voice an opinion with arguments say 'LET'S NOT' : D heh

I say DEPENDS!

I love the idea a million but I'm having a hard time seeing it take off - seeing as everything with pixelation has been slowing down at a steady pace (see the board activity thread) I feel a blog would probably also follow that development and eventually start updating things at a snail's pace. Which would make the forum feel even more dead D:

Nah I feel we should, like helm says, think about measures for making people and ourselves unlurk more, and .. get the activity curve go upwards somehow! I feel that if we manage to make that happen then I'd be all for it. When pixelation spirit starts to burn a bit and you can feel the power of the members and the ACTIVITY somehow, that's when a blog is needed to utilize that energy and show it.

Right now .. D: I'm interested but not for it.

Also I should do an activity lol I'm a mod @n@
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:52:31 am by Jad »
' _ '

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 08:53:41 pm
Hmm.. I'll have to vote in agreement with what seems to be the minority in so much as I really don't think there's enough to update a blog style front page regularly enough for me or many others to want to bookmark that instead of the forum index. Just how many pixel-related 'events' occur? How many millions of new tutorials are there that need blogging about?

The novelty of something new... something to take part in designing is all well and good and probably stirs up a lot of eager anticipation, but I can't see it really being all that worth it in the long run.

As for the employment section being moved there, I kind of like the fact that new posts show up while I'm browsing the pixel art areas. I feel if it was removed to a not-so-updated blog area a lot of the keen pixellers might not notice things there.

I totally agree with you Ben, if it was after me everyone below 16 would be banned from the internet.

Heh.. we have (over the years) had some very good young pixellers. Though I will agree that the better ones are seriously in the minority. 'Dave' rings a bell to name one (if anyone remembers his stuff)

I think we should also eventually talk about changes in pixelation that will urge people to delurk. We're already planning a change where if a post is helpful to you (either because it is your own art that's being critiqued or it's not and you just learned from it) you can mark it and then the thread will show and the posts with thanks will read "user)s) named ________, ________, _________ found this post helpful!" which I think will encourage critique. But how can we get more readers-only to participate?

I love the idea of Tom, Dick and Sally found this comment useful (or whatever) and I'd love to see something like that integrated more on the site - like 'Karma' points or something that get shown next to your avatar when enough people have found enough of your comments useful. Equally there should be a 'karma reduction' when people find your comments ludicrous or very misguided. Apart from anything else, it gives newcomers a good idea of how much they should pay attention to the different people commenting - especially when comments oppose each other in some way.

Encouraging readers only... hmm you mean to crit or actually post art?

One thing that pops into my mind are some extra challenges more aimed at the (sorry) n00bs. (I don't necessarily mean n00b as in crap at pixel art, I just mean 'n00b' to here and lacking confidence). How about, for instance an 'edit' challenge. Throw up a simple sprite and let them have a go trying to spot various deliberate n00b errors in it and attempt to fix it. It should be encouraged that the better pixellers don't participate in things that are aimed below them, as their edits will likely make others feel inferior and incapable of posting something so well edited. However, after a given period, its a kind of free-for all and the better pixellers can then chip in and show how the job could have been done better. I seem to be rambling at this point while trying to get the idea across in a meaningful way.. but perhaps you get my meaning. Most of the current challenges are/have been a little too involving or difficult for newcomers, and usually a really good piece by someone will scare someone out of taking part.

Another option would be to have 'hidden submissions' to a challenge (similar in some ways to the hex collab) There was nothing visible by others to really deter you or 'raise the expectations' of you when taking part. Again, after a given period, all the entries are shown.

Hmm.. anyway.. all that's a bit off the original topic which was about a blog front desk. But I think there are other things that could be perhaps better addressed rather than something that really will just be a flavour of the month novelty in my opinion.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 09:09:43 pm
Youngsters (as in pre-teens) should be encouraged in improving their skills but I don't think this place is the best catalyst for that.

I think this place is the best catalyst for that.  Show me another place where you can receive constructive feedback from the people you idolize.  I remember feeling very special if say, someone like st0ven or Peppermint Pig would comment and critique in my threads back in the day.  These kinds of posts--"omg, they're talking to ME :O, of all people"--pushed me to grow and get better.

Edit:
They still do, actually.  ::)
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 09:21:58 pm
I'm still for the idea, but after reading all these posts I'm going to have say it shouldn't be pixelation's homepage.

I think Helm's idea of a thank-system would help well, too. I'm eager to see that, because it would most likely encourage better critique.

I also think more activities and challenges would boost the activity. I can sort of see that when there were things like the 'old remastered challenge,' 'Pixelator,' and the 'Mockup Frenzies', more people posted and felt involved in the community. I think the Hex collab helped boost that involved feeling a bit, but I think if we did more things like the Mockup Frenzies and other casual things, people could show off creativity and also be encouraged to make art. Some newer users sometimes feel intimidated to post (I know I did at first!) but I think participating in fun activities would help them learn about the community and also get to know some of the members through a process that would help them with their artistic talents.

All in all, I think Pixelation just needs a bit of a boost. It's a great forum, just at some points it feels inactive and not every thread receives as much feedback as the artist might want. If more people were encouraged to post and be active, I think this feeling could be reduced to a minimum. Bring the community together! ;)

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 09:51:50 pm
I'm a regular reader regarding Indie Games and a lot of those have a lot of good art and unique art styles which would be useful to feature in a blog. Both to act as a pointer for inspiration to others, and to add some comments about the art itself and any technical aspects of interest.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 09:58:35 pm
We are not an indie gaming site. If there are some indiegames with styles worth discussing this can be done without some blogpost on the forum imo.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 10:04:31 pm
I am not talking about the games themselves, but rather the approach to art used. I see this as no different to the infrequent commercial critique threads on the board.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: November 17, 2009, 10:06:02 pm
Yes that would work of course. If there are indie-games with enough merit in pixel art, there are imo not many.

And by that I don't mean that there are no interesting looking games with nice pixelart. Just nothing I can think of which would need a proper discussion dissection. If you have some suggestions of course you can go head and suggest. There already was a CC about Cave Story (which imo does not have enough merit artwise to be discussed other than, nice retro art, good work for one duder doing it all himself)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:07:54 pm by ptoing »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: November 17, 2009, 11:08:34 pm
non non non

do not want

too fluffy

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: November 20, 2009, 05:48:26 am
i like it; i think it is a fun idea. i really like the idea of adding noteworthy threads; would def increase activity because i know i would always secretly hope/try to get my thread up there (like in the news box with those featured threads... who WOULDNT want to be up there??? hehe) also great idea on the '_____ found this post helpful' thing.
now how about this: a site redesign? pardon me for being radical haha... i love the design now but maybe a new redesign (ooh, or banner contests) could spark some interest. i mean i dunno about a redesign it wouldnt help TOO much, but banner contests... hahaha i like that idea. and more festive things. secret santa is a great one, but... maybe things like a pixel wreath on the banner? or christmas lights pixel style? sorry these are stupid ideas but they could definitely just make things a bit more interesting once in a while, like 'ooh they changed the banner' or 'hey a banner contest... i could make something really cool!' haha i dunno just some thoughts.
im serious about the banner contests though; you could have them every few months (maybe like two or three) and the winner obviously would have their banner put up... could open the window for some (more) great pixel art here.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 10:43:02 pm
Yeah we had considered banner contests before, a la Puet.com perhaps even. It'll definately happen eventually. And the site is being reskinned behind the scenes as of late too.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 11:25:39 pm
I still remember that competition where we had to draw a sprite based on a very thin and tall stylised drawing of a woman (primarily in white IIRC). I can't remember the name but that was very successful and interesting. Anything like that again would be great. :)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 03:06:27 am
Cool discussion!

Actually, maybe I'm a little delusional, but the forum seems to have pretty good activity from my point of view. It never feels 'dead' to me (PIXELATION WILL NEVER DIE!!!1!).

Decisions on the blog need a clearer definition of what the blog would contain. I think it's the kind of thing that would work better if we had a LOT more activities. For instance, having hidden collab entries as Zoggles suggest would give a steady stream of blog posts, since each collab "Reveal" would be a really cool thing to see on the front page. I also like Zoggles idea for 'easier' activities. The edit idea is really great, and could be a recurring thing.

But I absolutely love Helm's idea for focusing on adding participation re-enforcement mechanisms to the site. The thanking/karma system is elegant and should definitely be done. But I also get crazy ideas like having some kind of counters or records that show how many collaborations and activities a person has participated in. Kind of another aspect to the person's community participation besides karma.

I say shelf the blog idea and let's focus on participation reenforcement and activities. A blog is a pinboard for community spirit and activity, which appears to be something we could use a lot more of.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:56:41 am by EyeCraft »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 12:22:52 am
I'm closing the poll - thanks to all who gave input.  It certainly did make things clear - even changed my own opinion of it ;)

-Dan
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:26:49 am by Indigo »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 03:27:13 am
So what exactly is your opinion of it now, Dan?

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #41 on: December 08, 2009, 06:09:46 am
my new opinion is that pixelation isn't ready for something like this.  If it were to happen, it'd need to be it's own place i think