AuthorTopic: St. Cloud State University Iso [warning enormous image] Probably Finished  (Read 13073 times)

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron
This is new to me, I don't do isometric work very often, but I made an exception in this case.  My campus is having a vending machine competition and I decided to go for a very Voxel/Isometric look for the foreground, and for the background I emulated an Eboy style, something I've never tried.  I've cut the foreground out and just made a mask, I'll post that part with the entire thing when I'm finished, but for now I just want critiques on the isometric campus thus far.  There are plenty of errors since this is my first attempt at this, but hopefully they aren't as glaring to everyone else as they are to me.

1st Draft
2nd Draft
3rd Draft

Suggestions and such appreciated.

Edit:  I'm pretty much finished with this.  If you want a character added you have until Sunday Night to post it.  There are a bunch of things I'd change if I did it again.  For starters I'd do a less realistic approach to landscape and try to squeeze as many prominent buildings into the frame as possible without as much blank area with trees (any suggestions on that?).  I would draw things in the right angle the first time so when they're mirrored their shaded side is matching the lighting.

Any final suggestions?  I'll post the final design when I work on it later tomorrow.

Edit 2: The Final Design
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 04:15:56 am by Scuba Steve »
Glub Glub!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: St. Cloud State University Iso [warning enormous image]

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 06:34:54 am
Never been to the place, but it must rock to have floating sidewalks.
The base of the small tree looks offset from its foliage.

Is that a Pac-Man ghost?

Add some birds.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 07:04:16 pm
Very interesting... the palette is good, so is the layout. I'm still not sure what that big red-area is supposed to be once its finished... I will say I like that bus though, suprised you AA'd it at all since alot of iso is like never AA'd for some strange reason.

Crits:
-shadows near sidewalk make it look like its floating
-trees are leaning to the left...almost like they're falling over
-AA tone on the ghosts outline should bit a bit darker/more blue
-trees should have a cast shadow underneath

Can't wait to see this big sucker finished hehe.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 07:14:35 pm
Mmmm i think the windows are wrong. The two windows in the top of the house. Or you make this with this style?

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelart and Photoshop tutorials

Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 11:46:29 am
Love that blue something flying out of the house. The best part of this so far ::) Kidding

Well, I think the main problem so far is lighting. Just look at trees shading and bus shadow. Looks like they are from different pics. Looking forward to see more to comment.

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 05:09:54 am
[Moved to first Post]

More.

I unfortunately started things in a different scale and don't feel like redoing them... fortunately its not as noticeable.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 04:57:35 am by Scuba Steve »
Glub Glub!

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 07:53:26 am
I love it when pictures have a lot of interesting things to look at. In this case it's the characters (Oh man, WALDO!). I also love how you made their legs. That's a big problem for me with isometric people, legs.

I would like to see more points of interest on the buildings themselves, but I'm not sure what could be done to them.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 05:36:25 pm
Maybe silhouettes of stuff visible through the windows? Anyway, the big trees have nipples and it really bothers me. 

Is Browning your name, or do you just really like sappy poetry?
typing ewith fdace

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 06:19:26 pm
gawd your iso people rock!, the buildings look a bit halfassed in comparrison though epesc. the top one. I think it could easily be spiced up, extruding the windows (i dunno if this makes any sense) and generally just making some of the features of the building... ehmm... "pop out and in"). A bit of specific knitpicking- the top of the triangular disigns above some of the windows and doors on the bottom building are off. The offset of the peak on the windows should be moved a coupple of pixels to the right and a coupple of pixels to the left on the door design. On the other hand, fuck my comments, just make more of them iso people!

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 08:53:17 pm
I can't help Boring architecture on Campus :(
Glub Glub!