AuthorTopic: [C+C] Schoolgirl+gun  (Read 4455 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

[C+C] Schoolgirl+gun

on: November 14, 2009, 02:51:35 am

Haven't posted any work here for a while, but been pixelling this evening and wanted to share. Wanted to do something with a smaller palette than I'm used to - worked from reference photo (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1534394/silenthillarcade.jpg). Had a lot of trouble with the socks especially - any suggestions welcome!   :)

Many thanks
Rik

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [C+C] Schoolgirl+gun

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 03:36:20 am
Looking sweet!

The ref is a little tricky since there's a number of light sources. It's depends on which ones you want to use. Still, you should be more careful analysing values in the ref. There seems to be a bit of you drawing what you think you see rather than what you do see (especially so on the legs, socks and hair).

Had a bit of a play, tweaked palette slightly as well.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 02:09:36 pm
Ah thanks for your edit. A lot of bits I've tried to draw what I think I would see if the lighting was a little more consistent (I've gone with above left, slightly behind which seems the main light source in the ref only without the shadow cast by the arcade machines). I forgot to mention her socks and shoes don't really look how they should in the ref photo: http://www.japanforever.net/catalog/images/loose1.3.jpg is more like it should look.  I've tried editing again working from this ref, still not really happy with it though.  I've paid more attention to the values in the hair as your edit too, and made a few other minor edits.

Thanks again!

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 08:00:50 pm
I don't know how close to the reference figure you meant to go, but here's what I see:

Your face is wider, and I like it better than the original.

There's some dark patch hanging from her shoulder, and I don't know what it is.  Circled in yellow.

In the original, the rib line is straight, and the hip underneath is curved.  You've got a  curved rib line and a straight hip. 

The other hip has an odd shading.  Circled in yellow.  It makes the lighter part of the skirt look fly-away, I guess, and the hip underneath looks straight and small.

In other words, give this woman some hips!  I think the way you have it now also leads to goofing up the leg anatomy.  The straighter leg should up to the hip bone, but since the hip is reduced, that pushes the thigh lower (the kneecap is lower than the original).  This in turn makes the lower leg too short, which makes the legs appear too short, even though they match the original in overall length.

The straight leg looks a bit picasso -does it face the front or the side?

Overall, I like your version of the face, hands, and gun.  The lower half of the figure could use some touchups, but I think it only needs small tweaks and it will look great.

My $0.02,
Tourist

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 06:32:55 am
I like this piece, it has a lot of character.

Here's an edit of the face.

Your version is a bit creepy. The nose and the mouth look more symbolic then real, even for manga art.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 06:35:21 am by EvilEye »

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 12:59:42 pm
Thanks Tourist and EvilEye! 

Tourist, the image isn't showing now, but I saw it earlier. The flap behind, is just a part of the uniform, but have made adjustments for all the other points.

EvilEye I took your edit on board, and made changes to the face, although slightly differently to how you did it. I quite like the eyes I had already, but the mouth/nose area edits were very helpful hints.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 04:16:35 pm
biggest problem I see in this otherwise neat image is the knee area, currently. I'd suggest using some realistic reference for the pose. Or are you? If you are then you might need some help interpreting the reference. Knees are hard.