AuthorTopic: Quick Calibration Question  (Read 3823 times)

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Quick Calibration Question

on: November 14, 2009, 01:04:38 am
It's troublesome for me to get the exact colors that I want in Photoshop.  See, Photoshop has this thing called Proof Setup, where you can "proof" your work on different displays.  I usually have it set to Monitor RGB, which should be an accurate represention of how it will look on my monitor when finished, but when switching to Macintosh RGB or Windows RGB, colors become undesirably darker and bolder.  Then when I actually save the thing, and view it outside of Photoshop, the colors end up being somewhere between Monitor RGB and the bold and dark Windows RGB.

Anyways, long story short, do these seem like "normal" pixel colors to you?  If enough people think it looks okay, I think I'll just put my obsession over exact-exact-exact colors to rest.  Otherwise, I think I have some calibrating to do somewhere.

(Also, feel free to critique.  It's supposed to be Bill from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. :P)

UPDATE:

Alright, I've been messing with some settings on my display and in photoshop.  With any luck, this version should be a lot more bright than the previous version.

Thank you for all the feedback.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 01:15:34 am by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Quick Calibration Question

Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:57:56 am
The last two colors on that palette look the same, even at x10. Colors also look a tad desaturated, but it looks nice at x1 and x2.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline #36005A

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:39:52 pm
On a Mac here, the last two colors do not look the same. Though I agree about the colors overall looking desaturated.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:59:56 pm
Last two colors are definately not the same and this on an older darker screen right now. Calibrate your monitor Crow?

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 08:21:49 pm
I wouldn't call them "normal" (but then again, what's normal? color choices are so personal :p), but I like them, and I enjoy the way you've used them. I've generally been a fan of this sort of palette, where seemingly-odd colors (like that green) work well as part of the picture, what with the optical mixing.

Offline Emtch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 08:23:58 pm
The colors look just fine to me. I think Crow's monitor isn't in perfect order
And for critique I think the jump between light and dark in his face is too big, makes his head look almos a little bit cube-shaped, you could smooth it out just a little with an in-between.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 01:47:04 pm
Last two colors are definately not the same and this on an older darker screen right now. Calibrate your monitor Crow?

I did a while ago using the calibration assistant thingy included with the NVidia control center. Any tips?
Discord: Ennea#9999